What Laundry Detergent?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2007, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I know we already had a huge thread on washing baby clothes...but I did not pay attention....

I just had my last baby shower and my CDs came in the mail...what type of laundry detergent do you think is best for the baby clothes and diapers? I'm not toooo concerned about preservation of the clothes - I just want to protect my little one's skin.

PReferably looking for the least expensive option that will still be ok for his baby skin - I have a feeling we will be doing TONS of laundry!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2007, 11:10 PM

Here's a good website on detergents for diapers. Same principles would apply for baby clothes.http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm
Old 03-19-2007, 11:34 PM

I've been using Shaklee's detergent for about a month now, and I really like it. You only use 1oz. per load because it's very concentrated. It has no phosphates or chlorine and is biodegradable.

Here's a link: http://www.shaklee.com/product/00128

(Not a Shaklee distributor!)
Old 03-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Banned

I like Planet, but I might try Charlie's someday too. I went to the pinstripes site and one other to read up on the different brands. Very helpful! I wanted NO residue/buildup worries!
Old 03-20-2007, 02:30 AM

Charlie's Soap

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
Old 03-20-2007, 03:37 AM

I use "All" Free and Clear. Works great, low cost and doesn't leave any residue. No dyes and no scents. I buy the large economy size at Target for about $11.00
It's great for cloth dipes too!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:20 AM

WE currently use All Free and Clear and it works great for Luke's sensitivve skin and is pretty cheap. However, when I run out of that I will likely start making my own, and seeing how everyone reacts to that- dh has skin issues as well.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 03-20-2007, 10:26 AM

we too use ALL free and clear, i love it, i only had a problem with it with micro fiber inserts for diapers so i just stopped using that kind of inserts

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
Old 03-20-2007, 12:05 PM

I feel like an odd ball...I always used Dreft for my kids during the 1st couple months. I also now use it for washing CD's and they come out really clean with no ammonia smell. A bit more expensive I know, but it does the job.

I read on www.littlelions.com that they tell you how to wash CD by using baking soda and vinegar. I've never done that, and I don't know how much to use. I think I'm going to try it though, be a hell of a lot cheaper. I ordered a bunch of premium and toddler chinese prefolds from them. They are a lot cheaper than from where I was ordering from, plus free shipping over $50.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:35 PM

i use biopac...i can get it in bulk from my buying club.

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
Old 03-20-2007, 01:07 PM

With my first daughter we used Dreft. Then w/ our second we used All Free & Clear and All Baby (much cheaper than dreft lol) and as she got past the super sensative skin stage we just switched to using tide on her clothing and diapers like the rest of the family.
I'll be starting out w/ All Baby on the clothes for the little one, but diapers will probably remain getting washed in Tide unless he shows sensativity to it because we only have one diaper pail.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:36 PM

We'll start with All Free&Clear since that's the only detergent I can use without turning into a hivey, rashy mess. Hopefully the baby can tolerate it. I can't go near Dreft, biopac, and other mentioned in this thread.

If All doesn't work out, I'll find some combo of baking soda, vinegar, and/or borax.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudat View Post
Here's a good website on detergents for diapers. Same principles would apply for baby clothes.http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm
Cool website, thanks for the link! Before we moved to Japan we used Bio-Kleen on all our clothes and dipes. We ordered it for a while after we got here but the shipping was outrageous. I've been wondering what the best alternative was and with that website I have a place to look. We currently use Cheer Free. It seems to work okay on the dipes and we aren't having skin problems from it (we are all really sensitive).

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudat View Post
Thanks for this link
The link to info on HE detergents was incredibly helpfull.

We just got a new HE washer and I was wondering what baby safe detergents were compatible. We had been using targets brand of baby detregent (their store brand of Dreft) but even in very small amounts it seemed to be too sudsy. I mean we'd literally put in a drop and clothes would be all soapy.

So now where would you go to buy the Mountain Green detergents? Do any of you use this?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:16 PM

also, what is the controversy with charlies soap? is it really safe for babies?
Old 03-21-2007, 01:11 AM

I currently use Method free and clear because it works great on everything else in our HE front loader, but we'll have to wait and see if the baby tolerates it and if it works well with the cd's. I also have a box of biokleen if needed, but the faint cistrus-y smell has bothered me during pregnancy so I haven't used it on any baby stuff yet.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateSerj View Post
we too use ALL free and clear, i love it, i only had a problem with it with micro fiber inserts for diapers so i just stopped using that kind of inserts
What problems did you have with the micro fiber inserts and ALL?
Old 03-21-2007, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the responses - my plan is to take all the info you have passed along and visit my local stores!!!

Funny that I have never really paid attention to different types of detergents - there are so many! But I think I am starting to hear some trends on what is good...the website is helpful too, thanks for the link!
Old 03-21-2007, 01:57 AM

charlies is perfect

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Old 03-21-2007, 11:42 AM

i use 7th generation "sensitive care" - no enzymes. those enzymes were terrible on my daughter's skin with diapers. i also use 7th gen lavender softener for both diapers and clothing. no buildup.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:34 PM

I'm currently using ALL free and clear. I've used method, tide, arm & hammer, seventh generation, and cheer free.

We have extremely hard water, and not all detergents work well for us. Seventh Gen. isn't potent enough to work in the hard water. Tide is, but isn't as gentle as the ALL f & c Arm and Hammer seemed to leave a residue, odors in my diapers, etc. I just don't care for the Cheer free, it doesn't seem to work as well as the ALL. And method I liked, but it is too pricey for my budget (I'm washing for 5, soon to be 6 people).

User Tag List