Adios, mucus plug! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-20-2007, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never lost my plug before, so this was a new one to me. It just plopped into the toilet (sorry for the TMI). I know this probably doesn't mean anything, but it gives me hope. Anyone else lost theirs' yet?
#2 of 20 Old 03-20-2007, 02:55 PM

I've lost mine as well.
#3 of 20 Old 03-20-2007, 02:55 PM

I lose mine in small amounts, I think it'd be kinda neat to have it happen all at once to change things up a bit.

One time when I was teaching cb classes, I was talking about losing your mucus plug and a dad raised his hand and asked how you put it back in! : He was super serious and I had to stop myself from laughing, as did a couple other moms in the class.

Anyway, congrats on losing yours! That's always a good sign!
#4 of 20 Old 03-20-2007, 03:40 PM

OOOOh! Exciting!

I've lost mine in bits and pieces. I see my mw tomorrow, so we'll see if there's any left.

I've always wanted to see my whole mucous plug and feel a little cheated. I've never seen it! I keep having dreams about it, though.
#5 of 20 Old 03-20-2007, 04:56 PM

I read that labor usually starts 24-48 hours after your mucus plug goes...wonder how true that is.
#6 of 20 Old 03-20-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkylady View Post
I read that labor usually starts 24-48 hours after your mucus plug goes...wonder how true that is.
For some woman it is, but what is important is that you cervics is changing, ei effacing, dialating, dont always go into labor, your body will just make more mucus if you dont got into labor shortly after. Some woman loose like 4-5 plugs or more durring a pregnancy.

With dd I lost mine in the evening and by morning was feeling contractions and ds I didnt have a plug fall out so to speak. But its a good thing to know that changes are happening and in a good way.

Midwife & Mom to Gracen 9 luxlove.gif, Avery 6joy.gif Urijah 4superhero.gif Greta Sue, 9-9-10babyf.gifuc.jpg  Oh Baby! 1sttri.gif Due in April

#7 of 20 Old 03-20-2007, 06:48 PM

I've never lost mine. Or at least I've never seen it yet.

I've read that the mucus plug can be lost 2 weeks before labor begins.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#8 of 20 Old 03-20-2007, 07:11 PM

I lost my mucus plug w/ ds and I was either begining labor or it started very soon (like within an hour) afterwards. I can't remember. I think I posted about it in my previous ddc. Hmmm... I think I'm gonna look for that post.

ETA: I found the post but it was in the weekly thread for then. So, I copied it because I had forgotton which started first the lose of mucus plug or labor. Funny thing is, I'm still not really sure. Jeez
so here is the post
Quote:
Is it Time?
I have been out of bed since 4am. I was very nauseaus late last night before I went to bed. I had cramping and backache all night which prevented me from getting much sleep. Around 4:45 I had a bloody show and lost my mucus plug. I have also been having regular contractions since around 5am. They are coming about every 5mins and lasting around 40 seconds. I have taken a shower and moved around and the contractions have not gone away.
I am trying not to get too excited because I know these things can happen and turn out to be false alarms.
Well, I am going to do some light tidying up just to be prepared. I am nervous and trying not to get too excited.

Oh and it was time!!!
#9 of 20 Old 03-20-2007, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

I've been feeling really crampy today. Like menstrual cramps, but no contractions. I'd be really, really surprised if I went before 38 weeks. :
#10 of 20 Old 03-20-2007, 07:35 PM

I lost mine with my oldest DD weeks before I went into real labor. I had PTL symptoms and was on bedrest for several weeks before she was born just prior to 36 weeks. I don't remember losing one with our second DD.
#11 of 20 Old 03-20-2007, 07:39 PM

How exciting!!! I've lost a few smallish pieces, but not the big chunk yet.

With my first baby, I lost the plug at 6am, and my son was born at 7:47 pm. So it CAN be a good sign!!!
#12 of 20 Old 03-20-2007, 08:21 PM

That's so exciting. . .maybe baby is almost here!! With DD I never lost or saw my plug, with DS it came out when midwife was doing a vaginal exam. . .well, part of it came out--I had a ton of it, like I think it could have filled a quart jar. Midwife said it was the most she had ever seen Who knows if it will come spontaneously this time, but I still anxiously check my panties and tp everytime I potty

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#13 of 20 Old 03-21-2007, 12:29 AM

little bits here, too! i've lost it all at once with both other births, and i've had zero blood yet, but boy does it feel like this baby is going to fall out of me every time i stand up. i think that once this one gets going, it's going to be an adventure. my midwife keeps reminding me that i need to call her as soon as *anything* happens. we'll see...i am enjoying these last days or weeks or whatever i have left (due april 3). my last time being pregnant, ever!
#14 of 20 Old 03-21-2007, 07:47 AM

if you do't want to share (TMI), i understand, but what does it look like? i'm still at 35 weeks, but wondering what i am looking for. i guess it's prolly one of those things that i will know it when i see it, right?

married to my best friend sam sahm to beatrice (04/07) and mourning lucia, born still 12/22/08
#15 of 20 Old 03-21-2007, 08:55 AM

From what I've read and heard from other moms, the mucus plug can be lost in bit or whole and can reform/recreate multiple multiple times.

A better indicator that labor is near is bloody show.

I lost mine in bits and pieces the last two weeks before DD was born.

A friend lost hers all at once and said that she was really confused at first... wondering why there was a little mouse floating in the toilet.
#16 of 20 Old 03-21-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberangie View Post
if you do't want to share (TMI), i understand, but what does it look like? i'm still at 35 weeks, but wondering what i am looking for. i guess it's prolly one of those things that i will know it when i see it, right?
I thought it looked like something one might cough up when ill with some blood in it. It also has a very distinct smell, my midwife called it "birthy"--kind of bloody smelling. I didn't find it a pleasant smell at all!

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#17 of 20 Old 03-21-2007, 10:25 AM

oh great, another unpleasant smelling drippy thing coming out of my body to look forward too.

married to my best friend sam sahm to beatrice (04/07) and mourning lucia, born still 12/22/08
#18 of 20 Old 03-21-2007, 11:05 AM

Well, my mucous plugs with my past two certainly didn't stink. I mean, I didn't put my nose right up to it or anything, but there was no pervasive odour that I could detect from my reasonable distance of at least a foot and a half.
#19 of 20 Old 03-21-2007, 11:59 AM

I lost mine about 3 weeks ago. It had a good deal of blood with it, and had many spotting/light bleeding episodes. All the cramping and cx stopped though (went on for 1 1/2 weeks). Within the last week or so, I've had almost ZERO discharge so I guess it was b/c the plug was rebuilding. Yesterday I noticed more little pieces, then laying down I could feel 'stuff' coming out. I thought it was my water leaking, but when I checked, it was a lot of watery snotty stuff with chunks and strings in it. Still happening this morning. So, I think I'll be losing my 2nd one again soon. Yeah...
#20 of 20 Old 03-21-2007, 01:55 PM

was loosing bits of mucus plug for like the last week, then just stopped for the last cpl of days
I know its silly but I got discouraged thinking it was just rebuilding and Im nowhere near done

imagine my shock today when curiosity got the better of me and I kind of investigated things myself and found the inner OS opened!

yey...maybe all these god-aweful miserable contractions are actually doing something

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page