Intentionally getting things started... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 03-21-2007, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are some ways to help your body along? Does anything really work to make labor happen sooner rather than later? I'm using an OB this pregnancy because of reproductive health issues and I'm dreading the 40 weeks 'when should we think about inducing you' discussion...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 03-21-2007, 03:07 PM

well there are a lot of things you can try but I personally believe that they will only work if you are about ready to go on your own anyway ...
Theres always sex, walking, nipple stimulation...
#3 of 27 Old 03-21-2007, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Is a constantly-wanting-to-nurse 3 year old adequate nipple stimulation?

I can't even imagine trying to have sex right now. I feel like a whale. Or like Violet Beauregard in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...

Walking can't hurt I guess.
#4 of 27 Old 03-21-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
I feel like a whale. Or like Violet Beauregard in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...
#5 of 27 Old 03-21-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
I can't even imagine trying to have sex right now. I feel like a whale. Or like Violet Beauregard in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...

Maybe some EPO instead of semen?
#6 of 27 Old 03-21-2007, 03:40 PM

I agree w/ PP-- you can do things, but I don't think it will work unless your body is ready anyway.

Maybe try thinking "open" and imagine your cervix opening. Some people have very strong mental ability (well, we all do-- some just let their body follow their minds more than other people)

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#7 of 27 Old 03-21-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo515 View Post
Maybe some EPO instead of semen?
What is EPO?
Thanks!
Anika

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#8 of 27 Old 03-21-2007, 04:22 PM

EPO is evening primrose oil.
#9 of 27 Old 03-21-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn'smama View Post
What is EPO?
Thanks!
Anika
evening primose oil...some start taking it orally, then vaginally, others just do it vaginally.
#10 of 27 Old 03-21-2007, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenns_3_babies View Post
evening primose oil...some start taking it orally, then vaginally, others just do it vaginally.
Where does one get this? What form does it come in? How do you know what you're really getting anyway?
#11 of 27 Old 03-21-2007, 06:38 PM

There are also some pressure points on your ankles and feet that are said to help promote bringing labor on. I think you can google it and find out more exact information.
#12 of 27 Old 03-21-2007, 06:56 PM

I have no idea how much truth this holds, but i heard that eating a lot of pineapple can somehow stimulate labor. Coincidently, i have been craving pineapple like crazy the past few weeks! I seriously eat like 2-3 cans of it a day. I just can't get enough! It hasnt done anything for me yet.

but I also agree that if you're body isnt ready theres not much you can do.
#13 of 27 Old 03-21-2007, 07:51 PM

just found this ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhinderedliving.com
The best thing to do is get emotional issues cleared up, and get everything ready for the birth so you can feel a sense of satisfaction about being ready. Spend some time on deep relaxation and breathing. Listen to soothing music, and let your baby know you are ready. Do some squatting to bring the baby down into the pelvis, and some gentle lovemaking. Semen contains prostiglandins which help soften the cervix, and nipple stimulation often induces contractions. Also, semen taken orally is extremely effective at getting labor going. Suggest to yourself and to the baby that you are ready for him/her to come. Then just sit back and relax, and allow the baby the freedom and autonomy to come when he or she knows it is right. Trust your baby, and your body.
#14 of 27 Old 03-21-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
I have no idea how much truth this holds, but i heard that eating a lot of pineapple can somehow stimulate labor. Coincidently, i have been craving pineapple like crazy the past few weeks! I seriously eat like 2-3 cans of it a day. I just can't get enough! It hasnt done anything for me yet.

but I also agree that if you're body isnt ready theres not much you can do.
I'm not sure how much truth there is to the pineapple thing but it HAS to be fresh, canned won't help you at all something about the enzymes being destroyed in the canning process.

I'm from the March DDC and I've been drinking lots of strong RRL, 1500 mg EPO twice a day and sex. BTW giving oral sex is supposed to be even better because the prostaglandins are better if ingested from what I have read so if you're too uncomfortable for intercourse maybe you could have an oral fest Orgasms for you and ingested prostaglandins

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#15 of 27 Old 03-21-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerikadi
BTW giving oral sex is supposed to be even better because the prostaglandins are better if ingested from what I have read
Maybe this is a rumor started by dads-to-be.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#16 of 27 Old 03-21-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenitii View Post
Maybe this is a rumor started by dads-to-be.
hahaha....
my sister swears this is true, however, and the reason she went into labour!
A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#17 of 27 Old 03-21-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Where does one get this? What form does it come in? How do you know what you're really getting anyway?
You can get this at any drug store even walmart carries it and it's even organic from there. They are gelcaps and are packaged just like any other suppliment. For some reason the midwife I used to work with advised building up the dose you're taking orally and then adding in the suppositories. I think it is more effective if you build up the dose. Like 1000mg/day for a week, then 1000mg twice a day for a week, then keep taking this dose and start inserting one or two into your cervix at bedtime. (if you can't get them in just shove them up there like a yeast infection treatment)

You shouldn't start them vaginally until 36 weeks because of the risk of preterm labor, but you can start them orally at 34 weeks.

I just started this regimen at 34 weeks and doubled my dose starting yesterday when I was 35 weeks. I have been checking my cervix periodically throughout this pregnancy and my cervix changed midway through last week for the first time. It is now facing down instead of back, soft, and 1cm dilated, and my bh have gotten stronger, more frequent and kind of crampy. This could be a coincidence but I think it's helping.

Urban homesteader married to my high school sweetheart, mama to V(4/07) and H(6/10)

knit.gifblogging.jpghomeschool.gif   chicken3.gif

#18 of 27 Old 03-21-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerikadi View Post
I'm not sure how much truth there is to the pineapple thing but it HAS to be fresh, canned won't help you at all something about the enzymes being destroyed in the canning process.

I'm from the March DDC and I've been drinking lots of strong RRL, 1500 mg EPO twice a day and sex. BTW giving oral sex is supposed to be even better because the prostaglandins are better if ingested from what I have read so if you're too uncomfortable for intercourse maybe you could have an oral fest Orgasms for you and ingested prostaglandins

Keri
Oh Keri! I keep checking every day to see if you've had your little one yet. Why does it not surprise me that you know this tidbit?

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#19 of 27 Old 03-21-2007, 10:53 PM

Oh god, I'd rather just keep the lil' bugger in the oven longer instead of DH's swimmers going down my throat. Nothing against him, I just HATE that, um....stuff. Always have..... Like a big slimy salty booger (sp??)
l
man what's up with all the stars I keep seeing in my eyes?
#20 of 27 Old 03-22-2007, 02:07 PM

I wanted to tell DH about the oral but then I realised that I wouldn't do it b/c it literally makes me puke and I don't need any help with that right now. I think I might get some EPO to save myself grief from DH...
#21 of 27 Old 03-22-2007, 03:04 PM

This thread makes me think of back around 6 months when I had a vaginal infection and our weekly Bradley reading included the fact that semen has been shown to be anti-microbial and could help in fighting vaginal infections. Well, DH supposedly had done the reading the day before me, and as I was reading this section, I said "Now I KNOW you haven't done the reading!!!" He asked why, and I said "Because there is NO WAY you let that one go by!!."

He claims he did read it but figured he had no chance.
#22 of 27 Old 03-22-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenns_3_babies View Post
Oh god, I'd rather just keep the lil' bugger in the oven longer instead of DH's swimmers going down my throat. Nothing against him, I just HATE that, um....stuff. Always have..... Like a big slimy salty booger (sp??)
l
Ok- I'm w/ you on the not being able to handle that... I would definitely loose my dinner and it's already so close to the surface as it is.

If you are seeing spots you need to let your cp know-- it is one of the signs of pre-e, though, there have to be 3 signs to know that it is pre-e, but you should let them know anyway.

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#23 of 27 Old 03-22-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenns_3_babies;
I get these when my blood pressure bottoms out - and they go away when I bend over and put my head down. I had them a couple days ago and my BP was 84/63. BUT, it could also be a sign of pre-eclampsia so make sure you have it checked out.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#24 of 27 Old 03-22-2007, 04:55 PM

has anyone else heard people swear by eggplant parmesan?? i asked DH to bring some home from olive garden the other day... figured at 38 weeks, can't hurt to try, specially since it's so yummy!!
GL!!

[SIZE="1"]Holly, slightly crunchy mama to my happy, energetic, sensitive Aiden (8/04) and My peanut girly girl, independent and proud Lillian (3/07)... Wife to my Jonathan, and a cancer SURVIVOR... now and forever!
#25 of 27 Old 03-22-2007, 06:26 PM

I have heard that. Eggplant parmesan and pineapple. Both foods I dont like. LOL
#26 of 27 Old 03-23-2007, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug13 View Post
There are also some pressure points on your ankles and feet that are said to help promote bringing labor on. I think you can google it and find out more exact information.
Yes, one is four fingers up your shin bone from your ankle bone, there's a tender spot just behind your shin bone on the inside that if you press and hold 10 seconds on, 10 seconds off, it's supposed to encourage labor. I've also been told that if you take the herbal supplement "Christopher's Prenatal Vitamins" in the last 2 or 3 weeks of pregnancy it helps the cervix dialate and get ready for labor on time. That's due to the Cohosh etc that's found in it. Don't take it until 37 weeks though unless you want to risk premature labor! I'm taking EPO too, and have heard good things about Red Raspberry Leaf tea and Nettle tea. Both are in my Yogi Tea's "Mother to be" which is yummy with a bit of stevia extract for sweetness (GD here, avoiding extra sugar). So like you, I want to avoid induction but have been told that Caucasion women normally go at least 41 weeks gestation with their first baby--that's me. Well, guess I'll see.
#27 of 27 Old 03-23-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymoose View Post
has anyone else heard people swear by eggplant parmesan?? i asked DH to bring some home from olive garden the other day... figured at 38 weeks, can't hurt to try, specially since it's so yummy!!
GL!!
I remember reading a story years ago about a restaurant in SF that became famous due to it's Eggplant Parmesean tending to help labor get started. Women from all over the bay area would go out to eat there in hopes to get things started!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page