Mucous plug, or just annoying??? (TMI as usual) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-21-2007, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so for the last few days I have been having major discharge - mucousy. I have had a lot during pregnancy, but this is enought to cause me to wear a pad and change it several times a day, or go through 6+ pairs of undies. None of it is tinged, just straight normal color. I even had it checked because I knew I had a UTI and they wanted to double check for anythign else, and it was not abnormal. The only wierd thing is the amount - I would say 1tsp every 2 hours or so.

Any thoughts? Could I be losing my plug but it regenerates or something? I never had anything this wierd with DD...

Oh, and it is freaking annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 03-21-2007, 10:09 PM

What is it's consistency? I've been losing my plug on and off for the last 3 weeks, and it's white, clear, yellow or green and really stretchy and stringy like thick eggwhite. It doesn't smell, and is pretty globby. I thought it was just weird discharge too, until I asked about it. It can be tinged, but mine's not, and I guess that means my cervix hasn't dilated yet.
A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#3 of 16 Old 03-21-2007, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

It is greenish/yellowish/clearish, stringy and glooby, and stretchy. I guess it is part of my plug, but I swear I must have lost the equivalant to a cup.

Last 4 appointments I have been 1 cm and at first I was told I was 80% effaced, then 50% effaced (same Dr) and then twice I was told I was long, 0% effaced (different Dr from the first, but same these last 2 times). I had lots of ctx (felt realer than my b/h which I have ALL of the time) on sunday when this started, but not much since.

Thanks! I thought it might be the plug, but there is so much!
#4 of 16 Old 03-21-2007, 11:19 PM

I dont know... my mucus plug was a big hunk of gray snot (sorry)... it sounds like just increased discharge but everyone is different!
#5 of 16 Old 03-22-2007, 11:25 PM

I've always thought (and read) that the plug was tinged with blood and had a birthy smell (kind of bloody smell) otherwise it was just your body cleaning itself out and preparing for birth. Lately I've had a lot of mucousy discharge as well and I remember having it with DS as well. No blood though, so I really don't think it is my plug yet.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#6 of 16 Old 03-23-2007, 01:01 AM

could be a plug, i don't know... i'm at 38 1/2 weeks and haven't seen anything significant yet, but i wonder if it's because of vaginal exams irritating you and so your plug is always being replaced to keep you from getting infected? I am avoiding as many vaginals as possible because I have Group B strep and don't want to make it worse. (incidentally i'm treating it with garlic...) also, i have no reason to think i'm anywhere near labor so don't care if i'm dialated or not (and neither does my doc). so i'm just wondering if avoiding vag exams for curiosity's sake could ease up the discharge? anyone else have this experience?
#7 of 16 Old 03-23-2007, 01:21 AM

With my first baby I had the bloody mucous and incidentally a really rough doc who made me CRY each time he checked for dilation. With DD and DS2 though I never saw my plug at all. I wonder if the being checked part explains the diffrence (while I was checked with dd adn ds2 it was nowhere close to hurting). Who knows? Hmm. I think how you're feeling probally tells you more.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#8 of 16 Old 03-23-2007, 01:32 AM

Ok, I dont think it has to be blood tinged to be the plug. But even if its the plug, it doesnt mean labour is going to be soon. From childbirth.org:

"Your mucous plug is a portion of mucous that forms in the neck of the cervix to hlep protect your baby during pregnancy from infections, etc. As your cervix begins to open and thin for labor the mucous plug can dislodge.

This can be in one solid chunk, just seen as an increase in discharge. It can also be tinged with blood or contain pink or brown discharge.

Once you lose your mucous plug, while it means that things are under way, it can be anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks before the baby will arrive. Just remember it's a step in the right diretcion."

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#9 of 16 Old 03-23-2007, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbushey View Post
so i'm just wondering if avoiding vag exams for curiosity's sake could ease up the discharge? anyone else have this experience?
I lost a part of my plug during a vaginal exam by my midwife. . .granted I was 4cm and 100% effaced when she did the exam because I thought I was in labor. I lost more after the exam and pretty much all through the labor.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#10 of 16 Old 03-23-2007, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

I guess the vag exams is a moot point because I won't be going in until April 3, unless I feel the need. I've had them every week, and never had an issue with them - they are rarely painful or uncomfortable for me, even though my cervix is wayyyy far back. This excess mucous started 3 days after an exam, so it doesn't seem like it was related. It actually started when I had a full day of ctx.

Interesting idea though. Has anyone experienced this with a UTI? I wonder if there is a connection there?

Thanks for the thoughts guys! I'm just hoping it goes away soon because the excess moisture is irritating everything "down there'a nd is causing me to be very uncomfortable. I try to change pads or undies every 2-3 hours which is the most often I can at work, but I don't think it is enough
#11 of 16 Old 03-23-2007, 07:45 AM

I lost my plug with both my pg's big snotty glob then it was followed by days of gunk My plug was so white it reminded me of cottom balls. I never saw any red streaks of a tinge of blood. It dosnt have to have blood in it for it to be the plug.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#12 of 16 Old 03-23-2007, 08:39 AM

It could be your plug. I've had clear ones, yellow ones, ones streaked with blood.

The plug will keep trying to regenerate itself until delivery, causing not-so-pleasant discharge.

As long as it's not streaked with reddish blood, your cervix isn't really changing.
#13 of 16 Old 03-23-2007, 11:05 AM

I am right there with you Arismom! I have had loads of mucous for a few days now. It's getting really thin too.

I am fully effaced right now, if that makes a difference. 4 cm as of Tuesday (only vag exam I have had, curiosity+wanting to help out the midwives in training!), fully effaced, and babe was at +1 station!

Holy He!! I want to get this started!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#14 of 16 Old 03-23-2007, 08:35 PM

Maybe TMI but, what has helped me with excess moisture from discharge this pg is babypowder in my butt crack! Seriously, major relief from chafing. Just thought I'd pass it along in case you are desperate!

#15 of 16 Old 03-23-2007, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

I just may try that! Thanks!
#16 of 16 Old 03-23-2007, 11:16 PM

Dont you love how our bodies make all this wonderful stuff that just falls out

Midwife & Mom to Gracen 9 luxlove.gif, Avery 6joy.gif Urijah 4superhero.gif Greta Sue, 9-9-10babyf.gifuc.jpg  Oh Baby! 1sttri.gif Due in April

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page