Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 03-21-2007, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know, like, really, how vain am I???
I had a gift certificate, ok?
And I was originally thinking a brazilian, until I nearly fainted.:

So I'm lying flat on my back, in an over-heated room, with a woman causing me pain by ripping hair out of my private parts, repeatedly, in a slow, torturous kind of way(hard wax with no cotton strips) and it's getting worse, so I have to sit up several times because I'm getting lightheaded and nauseous and not tolerating the heat of the wax well or the pain.
I say, 'I need to remind myself not to do this again'
And she says, 'well there are ways to avoid it'
and I look at her and say, 'the wax, I mean' (at 8 mos pregnant)
and she laughs and says, 'oh, I thought the wax was a given, the pregnancy was optional'
or something really strange along those lines that I just laughed at for a long time because I didn't know what she meant...(was she serious?? or did she think I was ridiculous for booking a wax 8 months pregnant??)

Anyway...I'm nice and tidy.
Lucky for dh, as he pointed out he won't be enjoying it after the baby is born for awhile...
A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#2 of 31 Old 03-21-2007, 09:49 PM

Good for you, but there's no way in HELL I'd attempt a bikini wax at this stage!!! I rather be unkempt than be in pain
#3 of 31 Old 03-21-2007, 10:18 PM

LOL!! I dont think you are crazy - I have thought about it, since I cant see a thing down there. I didnt actually go through with it though. LOL

When I was about 3 months pregnant with my 2nd I decided to give myself an at-home bikini wax. BAD idea. DH had to take DS out into the yard so he wouldnt hear me screaming. Then I had bits of wax I couldnt get off so every time I pulled my underwear down to go to the bathroom, they would stick to the remaining wax, so I had little mini-waxes for weeks. It was HORRIBLE.
#4 of 31 Old 03-21-2007, 10:18 PM

I am seriously considering getting one, because I am having a c-sec & I do not want to be shaved!!!! I am now considering a do it yourself job (with dh help, of course!!!) Decisions, decisions....

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#5 of 31 Old 03-21-2007, 10:20 PM

oh my gosh, i got a brazilian once and it was THE most painful thing ever- much much worse than natural childbirth.

really, i didn't think they would wax you pregnant.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#6 of 31 Old 03-21-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoTwo View Post
LOL!! I dont think you are crazy - I have thought about it, since I cant see a thing down there. I didnt actually go through with it though. LOL

When I was about 3 months pregnant with my 2nd I decided to give myself an at-home bikini wax. BAD idea. DH had to take DS out into the yard so he wouldnt hear me screaming. Then I had bits of wax I couldnt get off so every time I pulled my underwear down to go to the bathroom, they would stick to the remaining wax, so I had little mini-waxes for weeks. It was HORRIBLE.
Now I HAVE to share the waxing story that was sent to me about a year ago!!!
WARNING: What you are about to read may make you pee your pants!!!

All hair removal methods have tricked women with their promises of easy, painless removal - The epilady, scissors, razors, Nair and now...the wax.

My night began as any other normal weeknight. Come home, fix dinner, play with the kids. I then had the thought that would ring painfully in my mind for the next few hours: "Maybe I should pull the waxing kit out of the
medicine cabinet." So I headed to the site of my demise: the bathroom.

It was one of those "cold wax" kits. No melting a clump of hot wax, you just tub the strips together in your hand, they get warm and you peel them apart and press them to your leg (or wherever else) and you pull the hair right off. No muss, no fuss. How hard can it be? I mean, I'm not a genius, but I am mechanically inclined enough to figure this out. (YA THINK!?!)

So I pull one of the thin strips out. Its two strips facing each other stuck together. Instead of rubbing them together, my genius kicks in so I get out the hair dryer and heat it to 1000 degrees. ("Cold wax," yeah...right!) I lay the strip across my thigh. Hold the skin around it tight and pull.

It works! OK, so it wasn't the best feeling, but it wasn't too bad. I can do this! Hair removal no longer eludes me! I am She-rah, fighter of all wayward body hair and maker of smooth skin extraordinaire!

With my next wax strip I move north. After checking on the kids, I sneak back into the bathroom, for the ultimate hair fighting championship. I drop my panties and place one foot on the toilet. Using the
same procedure, I apply the wax strip across the right side of my bikini line, covering the right half of my *hoo-hoo* and stretching down to the inside of my butt cheek (Yes, it was a long strip) I inhale deeply an brace
myself....RRRRIIIPPP!!!!

I'm blind!!! Blinded from pain!!!!....OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!! Vision returning, I notice that I've only managed to pull off half the strip.

CRAP!!! Another deep breath and RRIIPP!! Everything is swirly and spotted.

I think I may pass out...must stay conscious...Do I hear crashing drums???
Breathe, breathe...OK, back to normal. I want to see my trophy - a wax covered strip, the one that has caused me so much pain, with my hairy pelt sticking to it. I want to revel in the glory that is my triumph over body hair.

I hold up the strip! There's no hair on it. Where is the hair??? WHERE IS THE WAX??? Slowly I ease my head down, foot still perched on the toilet I see the hair; The hair that should be on the strip. I touch. I am touching wax.

CRAP! I run my fingers over the most sensitive part of my body, which is now covered in cold wax and matted hair. Then I make the next BIG mistake...remember my foot is still propped up on the toilet? I know I need
to dosomething. So I put my foot down. DAMN!!!!!!!! I hear the slamming of a cell door.

*Hoo-hoo*? Sealed shut! - - Butt?? Sealed shut!

I do the penguin walk around the bathroom trying to figure out what to do and think to myself "Please don't let me get the urge to poop. My head may pop off!"

What can I do to melt the wax? Hot water!! Hot w

ater melts wax!!

I'll run the hottest water I can stand into the bathtub, get in, immerse the wax-covered bits and the wax should melt and I can gently wipe it off.
Right??? *WRONG!!!!!!!*

I get in the tub - the water is slightly hotter than that used to torture prisoners of war or sterilize
surgical equipment ? I sit. Now, the only thing worse than having your nether regions glued together, is having them glued together and then glued to the bottom of the tub...in scalding hot water. Which, by the way,
doesn't melt cold wax? So, now I'm stuck to the bottom of the tub as though I had cement- epoxy myself to the porcelain!!

God bless the man who had convinced me a few months ago to have a phone put in the bathroom!!!!!

I call my friend, thinking surely she has waxed before

and have some secret of how to get me undone. It's a
very good conversation starter - "So, my butt and who-ha are glued together to the bottom of the tub!" I calmly tell her.

There is a slight pause. She doesn't know any secret tricks for removal but she does try to hide her laughter from me. She wants to know exactly where the wax is located, "Are we talking cheeks or hole or who-ha?" She's laughing out loud by now...I can hear her. I give her the rundown and she suggests I call the number on the side of the box. YEAH!!!!!

Right!! I should be the joke of someone else's night. While we go through various solutions, I resort to scraping the wax off with a razor. Nothing feels better then to have your girlie goodies covered in hot wax, glued shut, stuck to the tub in super hot water and then dry-shaving the sticky wax off!!

By now the brain is not working, dignity has taken a major hike and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need
Post-Traumatic Stress counseling for this event. My friend is still talking with me when I finally see my saving
grace....the lotion they give you to remove the excess wax. What do I really have to loss at this point? I rub some on and OH MY GOD!!!!!!!

The scream probably woke the kids and scared the dickens out of my friend. It is s-o-o-o painful, l but I really don't care. "IT WORKS!! It works!!" I get a hearty congratulation from my friend and she hangs up. I successfully remove the remainder of the wax and then notice to my grief and despair....THE HAIR IS STILL THERE.......ALL OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

So I recklessly shave it off. Heck, I'm numb by now. Nothing hurts. I could have amputated my own leg at this point.

Next week I'm going to try hair color.....

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#7 of 31 Old 03-21-2007, 10:29 PM

#8 of 31 Old 03-21-2007, 11:44 PM

Thank you for the story. I really needed a good laugh.

DS#1 1/05, DS#2 4/07, DD 12/11  homebirth.jpgcd.gif

#9 of 31 Old 03-22-2007, 12:38 AM

#10 of 31 Old 03-22-2007, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstmomy View Post
I am seriously considering getting one, because I am having a c-sec & I do not want to be shaved!!!! I am now considering a do it yourself job (with dh help, of course!!!) Decisions, decisions....
Do not...and I repeat DO NOT do it yourself. Unless you have experience waxing yourself, or waxing in general, leave it up to a professional. I am trained, and have experience waxing...and *I* can't even wax my own bikini area. I promise you, with every fiber of my being, you will regret it if you do it on your own....especially down far enough for a c-section.
Even then, waxing your hoo-ha at the end of pregnancy is more painful than you imagine. I don't know about you, but I get serious ingrown hairs with waxing. Ingrown hairs and an incision just don't mesh well. The shaving (which I normally can't handle either) is much more tolerable. I'm speaking from experience!! Spare yourself the agony, and just let them shave you.
#11 of 31 Old 03-22-2007, 08:39 AM

Brave woman!
I had my eyebrows done the other day and that in itself was horrible... way worse than when I'm not pregnant. AND I broke out in a rash from it overnight....

I honestly don't know what i"m going to do about the hair situation for the birth... I can't reach to trim or shave, so I guess I'll be featuring the "1970's Bush".
#12 of 31 Old 03-22-2007, 08:40 AM

OUCH!!!! mine is almost always an over grown bush down there (LOL) because i get the ingrown hairs and itchys just regular shaving soooo i wouldn't be caught dead waxing it lol.. i just had my first brow wax and it wasn't to bad but i had tears coming out my eyes! i can't imagine doing it so low!! lol

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#13 of 31 Old 03-22-2007, 09:20 AM

I'm trying to find a way to just trim with the clippers. I don't go bare, but I like it short. It hurts when my hair gets pulled by my panties.
#14 of 31 Old 03-22-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
1970's Bush

We call it my "power muff"
#15 of 31 Old 03-22-2007, 09:32 AM

Oh, My, Gawd.....

I am over that story!

And I am in pain for the OP, waxing hurts like hell when I am not preggers... I waxed for my honeymoon, the bikini line, wrawr...

I bled. I burned, I rashed. I felt Oh So Sexy for our wedding night, let me tell you.

When not pregnant, I shave um... pretty much everything. When i do it regularly enough I don't get rashes, sensitive skin etc.

So now I am a bush as well, I can't reach myself! Oh well.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#16 of 31 Old 03-22-2007, 09:41 AM

LOL, that is too funny. I don't think you are crazy for getting one at 8m, I got one only a few days before I as due. I actually thought it hurt less than normal. Maybe because I was in pain everywhere else

Melissa knit.gifmilitary wife to C : Mom to Ben (4.26.06) ,Will (4.07.08), Sam (10.11.10), and expecting a GIRL in March 2013!

#17 of 31 Old 03-22-2007, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

That's a funny story up there- but it kind of makes my stomach turn, too.
For the record, I must say I do normally wax my bikini area myself- I have done so for years, and recently because it's become quite difficult I did shave pretty much everything last month. It worked pretty good, I was surprised, although it was a bit tricky.
Last time with ds #1 I wasn't neat and tidy, and I really didn't care one bit. I just thought it would be a nice idea this time, having the gift certificate and all. Anyway.... not to be repeated for awhile!! I'll do my own thanks very much- at least I don't make myself nauseous!!
However- like a pp said, I did have it done professionally before tackling it myself, and I would also recommend shaving it if one is not used to waxing.
A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#18 of 31 Old 03-22-2007, 11:11 AM

I was just thinking of making an appt.! I think I still will, my esthetician is awesome and quick, so it won't be too bad. But I have been waxing for years, so I don't find it that painful anymore. I cannot stand to shave, I'm either hairy or not, the prickles from shaving drive me nuts! I'd rather the pain from a wax!

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#19 of 31 Old 03-22-2007, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

I'm jealous you have and esthetician that you go to all the time- I hate trying to find a salon I'm comfortable in- partly the reason I do my own! Good luck with it- hope you feel better than I did!
A

#20 of 31 Old 03-22-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn'smama View Post
I was just thinking of making an appt.! I think I still will, my esthetician is awesome and quick, so it won't be too bad. But I have been waxing for years, so I don't find it that painful anymore. I cannot stand to shave, I'm either hairy or not, the prickles from shaving drive me nuts! I'd rather the pain from a wax!
When I got pregnant with my son, I had been waxing every 2 weeks for 2 years...by a professional. Once I got pregnant, I just couldn't handle it anymore!!! I was going to go in for a waxing before labor, and I cancelled I chickened out. My girlfriend on the other hand went ahead with it. She was literally bawling because she was in so much pain. We both had/have stretch marks all the way down to our cha cha. Waxing over sensitive stretch marks is torture.
#21 of 31 Old 03-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Banned

I waxed my bikini line once, long before my first pregnancy, with a home wax kit. I applied to both sides at once, thinking this way I can't chicken out on the other side. I ripped one side, and screamed so loud my dh came running to see if I was alright, he thought I must have fallen. I then found myself unable to rip off the other side. I debated whether or not I could live with a strip of muslin glued to my bikini line, and instead opted to have my dh rip it for me. He did...because THAT is LOVE!

But I debated whether or not to have a professional wax done when I was closing in on my due date with dd, because I remembered quite clearly my best friend grabbing my arm 10 minutes after delivering her dd and saying "I am so sorry you had to see my muff like that, usually I am way more tidy." It was probably the weirdest conversation we've ever had, because I then found myself assuring her that it was not as bad as she thought and honestly no one in there cared how hairy she was. I remembered that no one was looking at my hair, and passed on the wax when my turn came.

This time I haven't even decided yet if I'll be bothered to shave my legs...why should the dr get the glam treatment when dh hasn't had a smooth-legged lady in months?
#22 of 31 Old 03-22-2007, 01:32 PM

I just usually keep everything down there very trim and tidy. Of course, during pregnancy that has meant using mirrors and clippers and blindly hacking at hair in the shower. I do it for comfort, so a wax seems counter-intuitive, especially since if I ever remove too much hair, I just end up with ingrown hairs that hurt like heck.

As for my legs, I tried to shave them a little yesterday before my appointment but it is next to impossible. I was telling my mom on the phone the other day, 'I couldn't shave my legs if I wanted to.' and my DH was chuckling in the background and said, "The key phrase being 'if you wanted to.'" Poor DH.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#23 of 31 Old 03-22-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
When I got pregnant with my son, I had been waxing every 2 weeks for 2 years...by a professional. Once I got pregnant, I just couldn't handle it anymore!!! I was going to go in for a waxing before labor, and I cancelled I chickened out. My girlfriend on the other hand went ahead with it. She was literally bawling because she was in so much pain. We both had/have stretch marks all the way down to our cha cha. Waxing over sensitive stretch marks is torture.
I find it torturous at the beginning of pregnancy and right before I get AF, but it seemed okay last pg near the end and I just waxed about 4 weeks ago I think and it was okay, so it's not too messy right now either...here's hoping!

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#24 of 31 Old 03-22-2007, 09:08 PM

I have been getting waxed (brows, armpits, legs and bikini) for a few years now. The bikini was the last part I started. Early in this pregnancy, it was hurting too much, so I stopped. I have had it done the last two months, but on a much smaller area than usual. I have a regular aesthetician that I have been going to for almost 3 years, and she is very good. I just had the second bikini done this past Tuesday night. I told her to just neaten things up a bit, but not to do a full bikini, I couldn't take it. I told her I would PAY for the full thing, but I couldn't stand the pain.

Previous pregnancies, I never even thought about how hairy I was. And I do have dark hair, and it is thick. I still don't really care for the appearance, but I prefer to have a little less hair there for the post-partum bleeding issues.
#25 of 31 Old 03-22-2007, 09:12 PM

I was actually just thinking about making an appointment for a Brazilian ... the lady I go to is insanely fast, though, so maybe I will still chance it. (I will say that they ARE more painful now that I can't dope myself up with some Advil beforehand, like I did pre-pregnancy!)
#26 of 31 Old 03-22-2007, 11:33 PM

You all got me thinking how hairy I am too.. I don't think I could handle waxing for the first time down there now though (I usually shave and get ingrowns).

Anyone know how bad those cremes really are? Nair and all of those? Are they really bad to use down there? I actually had to get DH to shave my legs the other night because they were itching so bad and I can't bend to get them anymore. The thought of maneuvering a razor where I can't see at all is not appealing to me in the least...I am really tempted to get me some Nair or Neet...
#27 of 31 Old 03-23-2007, 12:25 AM

Honestly, I never had any luck with any of the depilatories ... they always left too much hair behind, and if you leave them on long enough to really remove the hair, you end up with very tender skin. (Oh, and they smell AWFUL! And you get stubble just as quickly as if you'd shaved.)
#28 of 31 Old 03-23-2007, 12:59 AM

I am SO glad sometimes for having poor circulation in my legs... nothing grows, I shave my legs about 4-5 times in the summer and that's about it. As for the bikini line, not quite so lucky, so far I've been having a go at it with the razor blindly and doing not TOO bad a job (in MY opinion of course, and what would I know, I can't see it! ) but I think I'm going to have to give in and let DH help. Last time he did that I was unimpressed, but I guess if I can't see it and he's happy with it maybe I won't care this time!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#29 of 31 Old 03-23-2007, 09:36 AM

Is it bad to use the creams down there?
#30 of 31 Old 03-23-2007, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxi View Post
Is it bad to use the creams down there?
I don't know if it's bad, but the one time I tried it I swore I'd never do it again. I don't like the thought of all those burning chemicles so close to my girly parts! I guess it depends on how much you're doing.
A

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page