Can things get any worst?? Update post #39 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so friday I get a call from ds's daycare. He had an accident sliding down a metal slide at the parc. His leg got twisted. They tell me it's not swollen and he can move it, but he's crying non stop.

So I go pick him up. I get there he's in an infant car seat on the floor wimpering. I put him in the stroller to get him home (I live 5 mins away and we have no car). He cries all the way home. At home, I lay him down in bed and take off his pants, and OMG his upper thighs are completely swollen. Dh borrows a car and we go to the hospital and, well, inevitably, we find out his leg is broken. And he has to stay in the hospital. For 10-14 days will they pull his leg out with weights so they can realign his bone.

I'm 39 weeks pregnant

Ds is on Morphine and Valium, we're in a hospital room with 4 beds to one room, they refuse to give us a private room even if at least 5 rooms are free, since they're reserved for post-op patients. I can't move around his bed cause the space is so limited. I have a dinky chair to sit on, my feet have swollen to where I can't wear shoes. I can't leave ds for a second because he's scared and in pain. Dh stays overnight while I come home.

I can't stop crying cause these were our final days as a family of three. I'm scared I'll give birth alone since we can't abandon ds. I can't believe the hospital won't give us a private room. The other babies in the room cry all the time and wake ds up and scare him.

Sorry for the whiny post!! Thanks for readin :
#2 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 05:02 PM

OMG!

Why are you apologizing? You have every reason to to be upset and you certainly are not whining!

I am 39 weeks and have been panicy becuase my Liam has a fever that keeps spiking up, I have no reason to complain.

My thoughts are with you . . . :

What can you do about the hospital? Do you have a family member or friend (someone else with more time and energy) who can keep talking to people there until you get results?
#3 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 05:09 PM

oh mama, that's awful! i hope that baby will hang on a couple more weeks, until things have stabilized a bit. your poor liam. sending him healing thoughts and i agree that the hospital sounds completely unreasonable! make a big scene or just keep asking and explaining the particular difficulty of your situation (which they should be able to SEE by just looking at you, geez). i'm so sorry this is happening. it'll be better soon!!

warmly,
j
#4 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 05:15 PM

Sorry - I didn't realize the hugs icons were smily - I was just trtying to send many hugs your way!!!!
#5 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 05:31 PM

Oh, your poor little boy! What a terrible thing to happen to him! I hope he recovers soon.

That's terrible that the hospital won't consider your situation and let you guys have a private room. Maybe if you agreed to move out of the room if it was needed for any reason they'd let you all get some rest in a private... I'd definitely push it with the mgmt staff, if you can.

Hopefully your baby will know that right now is not the right time to make an appearance... is there anyone in your family or a close friend who could spend some time alone with ds just in case you do go into labour so your dh can be with you?

Hang in there.
#6 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 05:53 PM

OMG doudat!!!!!!!!!! I am so sorry. I will be thinking of you and your family.
#7 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 05:59 PM

Oh Myriam! How awful...poor Liam! I honestly wish I could come and do something for you guys. I hope you can work out someone either being with you for the birth or to stay with Liam so your dh can be with you. And I agree, if you've got the energy, I'd put up a stink about the private room.
Anika

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#8 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 06:07 PM

i'm so sorry momma...i would keep "talking" to ppl until you had a private room...i wish all of you the best...i hope your little one is going to be fine! it will work out...many many ...you'll be in my thoughts and prayers
#9 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 06:13 PM

#10 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think we can all safely say we would be in an emotion state of break down too! Take it easy, and know that you will get through this. My hugs and prayers are with you and your son.

Marci

knit.gif

Married to my best friend, homeschooling, gardening,

running a camp for at-risk kiddos and walking a narrow path.

Mom to an amazingly fun crew of 5!

hearts.gifafro.jpg  wave.gif   thumbsuck.gif     boc.gif 

#11 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 06:40 PM

Oh, poor ds and poor you! How awful for all of you. I hope you can work something out - maybe a family member or friend can take over for you when you are in labour.
#12 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 06:53 PM

I'm so sorry Your poor little guy.

I'm panicking too as both my daughters have some sort of horrible vomiting virus. No where near what you are going thorugh though. I hope your little one stays in until big brother is stable.
#13 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 07:10 PM

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Your poor little guy. Is there any way you can have him moved to another hospital in the city where you might get a little more consideration? Do keep talking to the staff, someone has to be sympathetic to your situation. Given that you are staying with him they should be more willing to give you your own room if there happen to be some empty. The bit about post-op patents is baloney, it has to do with the cleaning staff more than anything, they don't want to have to clean extra beds/rooms. And don't just talk to the nurses, talk to your doctors, talk to the management. If you have a friend that can come in to advocate for you and DS to take the stress off of you then do that. I'm sure your babe won't come until you can relax a bit! Hang in there.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#14 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Banned

I am so sorry you have to go through this. Is there any way you can talk to staff higher up in the hospital and get a private room? I know dealing with hospital staff is difficult and I learned the hard way but once I figured out who to talk to I got my way alot easier. I hope your ds gets to feeling better. and that you can hopefully get into a private room.
#15 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 07:30 PM

Oh, I'm so sorry for you and your ds! Not even close to how you envisioned your last days as a family of 3, huh?

I agree with PP, keep talking until you find someone who will help!

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#16 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 07:49 PM

OH doudat ! I am SO sorry you are having to go through this particulaly so late in your pg! i agree with the pp keep making a fuss, and if the charge nurse is unwilling to handle your request ask who their supervisor is and keep oing up the chain of comand until you get what you need! where are you planning to give birth?

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#17 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 07:52 PM

how horrible!!

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#18 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am so sorry. We're all thinking of you and your family.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#19 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!
We tried everything, the doctors seemed to be optimistic about the private room, but it all comes down to the head nurses who vehemently refuses to give a private room for whatever reason. I think we'll have to raise a fuss with the administration on monday.

I feel so pathetic, I read Sierra's updates and see all the really sick kids in the hospital, and really, I should count myself lucky. I guess the hormones are making me incredibly emotional and ungrateful for all I have. I feel horrible for dh as he's the one stuck there at night and he's not even complaining I'm home right now and missing them like crazy and hoping these contractions are just BH (for once!).

Thank you all for your hugs and support, isn't it silly how people you don't even know can make you feel better??
#20 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Your poor little guy. Is there any way you can have him moved to another hospital in the city where you might get a little more consideration?
With his leg being weighed down with weights, I don't think I could. There are 2 children's hospital in Montreal... And for all I know, the other one could be worst!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy4tmama View Post
where are you planning to give birth?
Hospital birth. Of course, not the hospital where ds is, since my hospital doesn't treat children. I'm just hoping I won't have any complication and have an easy birth or that at least ds will be home in a cast while I give birth. He'll be in a cast for a few weeks after his release, so that's gonna be unavoidable.

Newborn + toddler in a cast. I can't wait :
#21 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudat View Post

Newborn + toddler in a cast. I can't wait :
Oh mama I had not even thought about that

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#22 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 10:50 PM

Does the hospital have a patient advocate? Do they have one who works weekends?

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#23 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 11:11 PM

Oh no! I'm so sorry.
#24 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 11:12 PM

Oh mama! X1000 And a few more to your little man!

And I don't know about the toddler in a cast thing. I know it's bad. . .but a loose toddler is scary too :

Seriously though, many many

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#25 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 11:21 PM

Your poor DS! And poor you, too!

I would feel awful if I was in your situation too, so don't apologize for that! And to not have a private room when DS will be there so long?! That is just not right and I hope you can get into a better room.

Stay inside for now, Baby!
#26 of 46 Old 03-31-2007, 11:51 PM

How awful for you all, I'm sorry! Did Liam break his femur?

Sending hugs for you and wishes for a speedy recovery for Liam.
#27 of 46 Old 04-01-2007, 03:05 AM

Oh my!

PLEASE don't think you are pathetic! I really wish I was home in Mtl right now so I could go help you.....

Here's tons of love to little Liam and your family. He sounds like such a brave boy.
#28 of 46 Old 04-01-2007, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxiMom View Post
Did Liam break his femur?
Yep. Broke right through.

There is a patient advocate group, opened monday to friday. So we'll go and try to get somewhere monday.

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers. I'm gonna go back to the hospital now and give a break to poor dh.
#29 of 46 Old 04-01-2007, 11:10 AM

#30 of 46 Old 04-01-2007, 11:29 AM

There should be someone in the hospital who is the Patient Advocate. I would raise a stink and raise it good. Don't bother with the docs and nurses - go to admin. Ask to speak with the Program Manager, or equivalent. They are being unreasonable instead of compassionate.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page