Prayers needed! update on post #26 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 04-03-2007, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My little girl Magdalena Faith was born on thursday. Today she was admitted to the hospital (not the NICU but please don't flame me apparently this hospital almost NEVER admits a baby to the NICU once they leave after birth...) She has very severe Jaundice and is very very dehydrated! THey are checking her for sepsis and a bunch of other things. She is on an IV and under Billi lights, they said if it doesn't get better FAST they will be doing a cross transfusion. She hasn't pooped since saturday and then it was only once. PLease pray for my little girl...this is just killing me to have to be here!

THank you!

Bobbi

Oh yeah I forgot to mention. My mom called and left a nasty message about how this is all my fault because we had a showing on our house and I took the baby to my friends house while we had to be gone. Luckily my sister told me a little about it before I listened to my message so I didn't listen to it but my mom not only knows nothing about jaundice she also knows nothing about supposrting a momma who is in a hospital with her very sick little girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 37 Old 04-03-2007, 09:27 PM

oh bobbirs you and magdalena will most certainly be in my thoughts ! Please ask them about a hospital grade pump even if you are able to nurse her while she is in the hospital. Stress combined with the fact that she may be sleeping more due to the jaundice and dehydration could effect your milk supply. update when you can.

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#3 of 37 Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

I have a hospital pump and they won't let me feed her right now because she is so jaundice they don''t want her out of the lights even for a few minuets. I am pumping but not much is coming out. I had to fight but I got the Doc to let me supliment with donar milk instead of formula so that is good!
#4 of 37 Old 04-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Banned

s My prayers are with you. If you have any questions about sepsis you might want to talk to Acamile14. I know Sierra has had it twice. I hope she gets better fast
#5 of 37 Old 04-03-2007, 09:37 PM

My DD was put back in the hospital too. She was under the lights for 2 days and had the dang IV too. Luckily she did not have an infection. They did an ultrasound of her belly too and that was good. She is still jaundiced, but at home now and she is 2 weeks old. I had too pump too while in the hospital, every 2 hours. I only got 1/2 an oz on each side, but that is plenty.
Hopefully soon she will start pooping, the light made my DD poop alot and it started working right away.
What are her bili levels? My DD was 19 when she was admitted and 12 when we went home.
Her levels are still around 14 now and she supposodely has breastmilk jaundice, but we are still exclusively nursing.
It is very hard to have DD in the hosptial especially so young. Keep up your pumping though and we hope she gets better quick and without the yucky transfusion.
Good luck and keep us posted!
#6 of 37 Old 04-03-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbirs View Post
I have a hospital pump and they won't let me feed her right now because she is so jaundice they don''t want her out of the lights even for a few minuets. I am pumping but not much is coming out. I had to fight but I got the Doc to let me supliment with donar milk instead of formula so that is good!
Good for you (and magdalena)! Is your milk in? You may not be getting much because you are still producing colostrum which is fantastic for jaundice because of its laxative effect!

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#7 of 37 Old 04-03-2007, 09:48 PM

Oh I hope she gets better soon! My thoughts are with you while she's in the hospital- it can't be easy for you!
A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#8 of 37 Old 04-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Banned

s i am praying for your little one. I hope she gets better fast and the tests come back negative. Sepsis is a nasty infection Hang in there
#9 of 37 Old 04-03-2007, 10:03 PM

I hope she is better soon
#10 of 37 Old 04-03-2007, 10:16 PM

keeping you and baby in my thoughts
#11 of 37 Old 04-03-2007, 10:23 PM

Take good care of yourself mama
My thoughts are with you and your little darling.
#12 of 37 Old 04-03-2007, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My thoughts and best wishes are with you guys. Hoping for a speedy recovery.
#13 of 37 Old 04-03-2007, 10:51 PM

Ugg, I am so sorry you're dealing with this. Sending your girly low bili vibes and positive thoughts.
We've done the jaundice thing 3 times now. DS1 was admitted to the hospital for the lights, IV and the whole nine. I remember the heartbreak very well. ((HUGS)) to you.
#14 of 37 Old 04-03-2007, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

her billi when we got to the hospital was 26. now she is 21.6 so she is still VERY HIGH. Looking back they should have caught it before because she was above 8 at about 26 hours after birth. Good job docs! NOT!!!!! oh well she is getting better and hopefully she will make some good poops! I am just getting a few drops of milk at each session but I am trying! I don't know if I mentioned earlier but they are letting me use donor milk (From a friend of mine) since I am not getting much and I refused to let them use formula. They don't really like that I am useing her milk but I don't care!! Please keep us in your prayers!

Bobbi
#15 of 37 Old 04-03-2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbirs View Post
her billi when we got to the hospital was 26. now she is 21.6 so she is still VERY HIGH. Looking back they should have caught it before because she was above 8 at about 26 hours after birth. Good job docs! NOT!!!!! oh well she is getting better and hopefully she will make some good poops! I am just getting a few drops of milk at each session but I am trying! I don't know if I mentioned earlier but they are letting me use donor milk (From a friend of mine) since I am not getting much and I refused to let them use formula. They don't really like that I am useing her milk but I don't care!! Please keep us in your prayers!

Bobbi

good for you standing your ground! what a sweet friend you have
#16 of 37 Old 04-03-2007, 11:46 PM

Oh, momma! You and your sweet baby will be in my thoughts. How lucky she is to have you fight for her to have that breastmilk! Good for you!
#17 of 37 Old 04-04-2007, 01:01 AM

You and your DD are in our prayers, I hope the tests are negative and she has a quick recovery
#18 of 37 Old 04-04-2007, 09:20 AM

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
#19 of 37 Old 04-04-2007, 11:13 AM

Hoping her bili lowers today! Did you get your blood test results???
Thinking of you!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#20 of 37 Old 04-04-2007, 11:45 AM

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#21 of 37 Old 04-04-2007, 11:53 AM

thinking of you too... hope she is back home soon.
#22 of 37 Old 04-04-2007, 01:14 PM

Just wanted to let you know my mom called on her way to mass. She said she hopes you are all doing OK and she is going to ask the mass be dedicated to Lena.
#23 of 37 Old 04-04-2007, 02:59 PM

You both will be in my thoughts and prayers! I am glad you stood your ground about the formula! Hang in there!
#24 of 37 Old 04-04-2007, 03:30 PM

You're in my thoughts. I hope she is home soon. Hang in there.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#25 of 37 Old 04-04-2007, 03:47 PM

Prayers here as well.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#26 of 37 Old 04-05-2007, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE!! Lena is doing a bit better. SHe is no longer under the light and I am feeding her often, now one of the problems is is that my milk isn't in all the way yet...if I pump I get only a few drops. I am now on Reglan to get my supply up. I think the Ped is a bit frusterated that I refuse to let her have formula and that I am not giving up on BF!!! Lena's Electrolites are still off and she still hasn't pooped since saturday. They tried to give her a supository yesterday but she just pushed it out. Any ideas on how to get a week old baby to poo? Other than feeding that is because we are doing that constantly! well we did yesterday but now we are feeding about every 2 hours. well that is my update!

Bobbi
#27 of 37 Old 04-05-2007, 02:22 PM

Just remember that pumping dosnt give a accurate picture of how much milk you have. I was never able to pump well and I had a oversupply.

I am glad she is doing better. My dd developed jaundice within a hour of birth she had to be under the lights for 2 days 24/7 even when they brought her to me to nurse she was wrapped in a bili blanket. I did let them give her formula but only after I nursed her. I feel very lucky thta she didnt get nipple confusion between the bottle feeds and the paci they gave her while she was under the lights because she wouldnt quiet crying.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#28 of 37 Old 04-05-2007, 02:29 PM

That's great to hear!!
Although I've heard scary stuff about Reglan, can't you take Domperidone instead?? I was on Dom with Liam for more than a year and I saw immediate results in my milk supply.

Anyways, hang in there, you know what's best for your baby, don't let the hospital bully you!!
#29 of 37 Old 04-05-2007, 02:39 PM

About the pooping.....I could always get my babies to poop, by taking a rectal temparture.
Just take the thermometer, put some vaseline on it and take the temp as you normally would.
My babies always pooped withing minutes of taking it. Hope that helps.
Glad to hear she is doing better. My DD is 2 weeks old and her levels are still lingering at 15. I really dont want to do formula, but I might have to to keep her out of the hospital again.
Keep us posted.
#30 of 37 Old 04-05-2007, 04:19 PM

Good to hear she's doing better! I agree with a pp that pumping doesn't necessarily dictate how much milk you're making. I never responded well to the pump, I only ever got a tiny bit, and yet ds nursed really well and got more than enough. I just don't think pumps are nearly as effective or efficient as a baby's mouth, although of course they're totally helpful for things like this. Keep going! Don't give in on the formula, you're doing great!!
A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page