Starting my BC pills.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-04-2007, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!
My OB wrote orders for me to start my BC pills (safe for BFing) 2 weeks after delivery. At the time I was trying nurse but wasn't able to (until we transferred hospitals). The papers that came with the pills say to wait 3 weeks if breastfeeding AND using formula or 6 weeks if exclusively bfing. As of today I'm doing both (hopefully my visit with the LC and gettign the pump will change that). Should I wait another week or go ahead and start them?

Thanks!
#2 of 10 Old 04-04-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymakes3 View Post
Hi!
My OB wrote orders for me to start my BC pills (safe for BFing) 2 weeks after delivery. At the time I was trying nurse but wasn't able to (until we transferred hospitals). The papers that came with the pills say to wait 3 weeks if breastfeeding AND using formula or 6 weeks if exclusively bfing. As of today I'm doing both (hopefully my visit with the LC and gettign the pump will change that). Should I wait another week or go ahead and start them?

Thanks!
I think it would be wise to wait until you have your bfing totally established, and your supply is up. Most people I know who are on, or have been taking the mimi pill say that their supply seemed to reduce once they started the pill.
#3 of 10 Old 04-04-2007, 05:28 PM

I'd wait. Actually, I wouldn't take them at all. My neice was bf'ing their 1st dd with a healthy supply until she started taking the pill. Dried her right up.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#4 of 10 Old 04-04-2007, 05:32 PM

If there is no medically necessary reason to go on the pill, I would absolutely avoid it. There are other forms of bc you could try. We like to use the natural family planning method.
If you are already struggling to establish a strong bf'ing relationship with your little one, adding in one more potentially troubling factor could do you in. I wish you The best with your visit to an LC--they are amazing!! Massive Positive BF'ing success vibes are being sent your way!!

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#5 of 10 Old 04-04-2007, 06:11 PM

I have to agree with those who say wait until your bf relationship is well established...and even then, I personally, would hesitate to go on them. Jmo...
Anika

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#6 of 10 Old 04-05-2007, 12:11 AM

birth control pills are how i got (accidentally) instantly weaned at 6 months. i know the formulas are different now than they were in the 70s, but i'd still be really wary of taking them so early on in your breastfeeding relationship! good luck, whatever you decide...

*j
#7 of 10 Old 04-05-2007, 12:48 AM

I would suggest a barrier method vs a hermonal method until BF is established. Personally, I am going to use FAM & not use either. My fertility usually does not return until baby is over a year old when breastfeeding.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#8 of 10 Old 04-05-2007, 07:42 AM

Definitely wait a few more weeks... I took Micronor last pregancy with no effect on my milk production, but this was 6 weeks after giving birth and my OB told me not to take them before.

TBH I wasn't interested in sex before then anyways, ok who am I kidding? I wasn't interested in sex for a looooong time after that So a reliable source of bc wasn't an issue for me before then.
#9 of 10 Old 04-05-2007, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! I'm going to wait at least a couple more weeks before starting.
#10 of 10 Old 04-05-2007, 06:36 PM

I took the mini pill with my first two kids and because I knew no better destroyed my milk supply before I had really gotten it well established. I would avoid the pill at all cost!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page