Comfrey Leaf PP pads - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-06-2007, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I think I must've missed something...

I tried to make them this morning and I followed the directions in the post with the recipe. But I'm afraid when I use them, they are just going to leak a ton of the comfrey leaf water all over me! How much liquid are you supposed to use, anyway!?!

I turned the pad sticky side up, and dipped it into the water. Is there a better way to do it? There has to be enough liquid to make it an ice pack, but maybe I should squeeze some out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2007, 03:37 PM

I used witch hazel but what I did was fill a long bowl (a tupperware type thing) with is, then dip the pad (sticky side up) into it for just a second. It was enough to make them wet but not to make them heavy... I was afraid if I really soaked up a lot that they wouldnt be absorbent when I need them to be.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:57 PM

i use gauze pads from my birth kit and soak/freeze them. then wear them with a pad. i actually have to do that i've been having "early labor" (as my mw calls it) all week...maybe i'll make them now.

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
Old 04-06-2007, 04:11 PM

I used this method:

First make up a strong pot of comfrey tea. Bring aprox. 2 quarts of water to a boil, remove from heat then throw in clean fresh comfrey leafs. (about 8-10 large leaves or if not available, about 1/2 to 1 ounce of dried leaves). Let steep overnight or at least 4 or 5 hours.
Then take 4 to 6 large sized sanitary napkins (not the super absorbent b/c they usually contain chemicals - though all store-bought ones probably have dioxins) and cut them in half so you have 8-12 shorter ones. Cover a shallow baking pan or cookie sheet w/sides with foil and lay the pads out. Pour the tea over each pad, soaking well, then put them in the freezer. After they are frozen cover each with plastic wrap (so they don't stick together) and stack them in a container (or not) and keep frozen till birth.
After the birth remove the plastic wrap and cover a pad with a clean sterile wash cloth or several layers of sterile gauze. This feels great on the perineum, aids swelling and the comfrey (which contains allantoin) aids healing. This can go on right away and again after stitches. They can be worn for the next few days. Your regular sanitary pad helps hold it in place, of course change it after about 45 mins to an hour as it gets soggy.

Can't remember now where I got it from on the web...
Old 04-06-2007, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would pour about 1/4-1/2 cup over large over night pads. You don't want them saturated! Just enough to soak in a bit. Another tip: Let them sit out about 5 min. before putting them on. They will be too stiff if you don't let them thaw a bit.

Marci

knit.gif

Married to my best friend, homeschooling, gardening,

running a camp for at-risk kiddos and walking a narrow path.

Mom to an amazingly fun crew of 5!

hearts.gifafro.jpg  wave.gif   thumbsuck.gif     boc.gif 

Old 04-06-2007, 04:31 PM

A friend of my recommended freezing them initially draped over a shallow bowl so they are slightly curved. I did this and it seemed to work really well. (probably only an hour or so in the freezer.) Then I put them all in a Tupperware container in the freezer. DH hasn't commented on them so I wonder if he even knows what they are!

Maybe if they are slightly curved you won't have to let them thaw before you use them?

Jen
ready for baby #2 whenever he/she is ready to join us (OK, now would be good)

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

User Tag List