Anyone else want to hide out on Easter? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 04-07-2007, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh...we just got a last minute invite over the "family's" for Easter. I was looking forward to a lazy Sunday with DH--maybe our last, but probably not...

My "EDD" is April 15th...I'm holding out for the new moon though.

AND we're having baby here at home, but no one on that side of the family knows b/c they'd freak and I don't need the negativity, but it's so frustrating to have to bite my tongue with all the baby talk about diaper genies and hospital procedures. Not to mention the fact that we're lying to all of them about where we're giving birth. I bite my tongue b/c I don't really know all these people that well. They're more like family friends of MIL. They're all very nice people though. DH and I just happen to be...well...much crunchier I'll say.

And all those questions and comments...about if I'm dilated yet (mw doesn't yet check that very private part of my body thank you), or if it's twins or not (pretty sure there's just one set of legs kicking my ribs), the name issue which I really feel like keeping private, how "ready I am to pop" :

Sigh...I didn't even know it was Easter on Sunday until a few days ago.

I just want to tell them I'm not feeling well, and I might, but then again, they are good people and I'm far away from my own family...

Anyone else, those of you who are still carrying baby inside, feeling this way?

Would it be horrible if we stayed home?

But then again...there will be a bunch of good food
#2 of 27 Old 04-07-2007, 08:45 AM

If you don't feel like dealing with all of this, by all means, stay home!! You are gonna be almost 39weeks pregnant, I think people will totally understand. I think you'll have plenty of chances to celebrate Easter with Dh's family in the future, and if you're already feeling stressed about this, better skip it entirely.

As for justifying your choices, well, I don't really have that problem as we hardly have any family... I don't really mind the is it twins, or you're huge comments so can't help you there!!
#3 of 27 Old 04-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Banned

we are hiding out tomorrow. Not going to either sides family and not having any visitors. We have gotten grief from both sides but we arent up for being social and will be spending it at the nicu with the baby
#4 of 27 Old 04-07-2007, 09:29 AM

Well, I can certainly understand that feeling. We are not telling people about our hb plans either. However, last time around I eschewed all the hospital procedures anyway even though I birthed there, so they already know I am a freak. I have a back-up ob, so I let them assume that he will be "delivering me". Then I smile and nod my head. If anybody asks about the soon coming of l and d, I just say yes it COULD be soon, or it COULD be a while. I do not tell anyone other than my dh, mom, and close friends about any pains or discomforts, lest the get the idea that it might be coming.

So, all of that to say. If you want to go, go, if not don't worry about it. Give as little info as possible, honestly people are usually making small talk.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#5 of 27 Old 04-07-2007, 10:19 AM

Oh I am with you...Easter with the in-laws...SO not in the mood for it. Plus, I'm vegetarian and all she serves is cold dishes, mostly meat-infested. I would love to suddenly "not feel well" and send DH there alone! Plus, they smoke indoors there and I would be VERY upset if they pulled that crap tomorrow.

Hmmm...now would I fake a condition to get out of seeing the in-laws?
#6 of 27 Old 04-07-2007, 10:26 AM

I am hiding out- no excuses : I guess i'm just rude like that
#7 of 27 Old 04-07-2007, 11:14 AM

Oh, definitely want to hide out. My parents are coming into town "to see your cousins" but their ulterior motive is to hopefully see a new grandbaby. This stresses me out!! My mom is NOT supportive of our hb and I do not want her negativity around, even if it's miles away.

And to top it off, I'm crampy this am and having lots of hard BH contrax. So I don't want to be any more of a spectacle at a family gathering than I already feel I am!!

jen
due sometime last week

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#8 of 27 Old 04-07-2007, 11:17 AM

We're due the same day I didn't realize Easter was here until yesterday. Fortunately, we haven't been invited to anything...which is a bummer but I'm too full of baby to eat much of anything anyhow.

I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to have to keep hb plans a secret! When I switched to hb the family freaked out a bit, but they pretty much figure I'm going to do what I want to do anyhow so they didn't even try to change my mind.

I just hope I don't go into labor on Easter because my midwife is Christian and would probably like to spend the day with her family, eh?
#9 of 27 Old 04-07-2007, 11:38 AM

Go eat! We've left our plans up in the air and have been non-commital to both sides. I think we are going to go to my aunt and uncle's for an Easter Egg hunt tomorrow afternoon. We've been invited to a church brunch tomorrow with DH's brother. So we'll have to see. Not sure what I'll wear. I doubt I fit in my navy maternity dress. The rest of my maternity clothes (that fit) are black. Seems so un-Easter-like to wear that.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#10 of 27 Old 04-07-2007, 12:50 PM

we were asked to drive 3.5 hours south to spend easter with dh's family. i said NO way. that's asking for labor to start...

so, since we have to other family around, it's just us at home--which is fine with me.

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
#11 of 27 Old 04-07-2007, 01:27 PM

I would really prefer to hide out. My kids are gonna go to chruch with DH and do the easter egg hunt. I have many reasons for not wanting to go. I have NO maternity clothes that fit anymore, I haven't been feeling well and my feet are so swollen that I can't hardly get shoes on. I bought a dress off ebay for easter but it is sleeveless and I don't have anything to wear over it not to mention the shoes I have to go with it won't go on my feet. About the only thing I have left that will fit me is around the house clothes (sweatpants and my DH t-shirts). I am gonna be spending Easter here getting some much needed rest!
#12 of 27 Old 04-07-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katytheprincess2 View Post
I would really prefer to hide out. My kids are gonna go to chruch with DH and do the easter egg hunt. I have many reasons for no wanting to go. I have NO maternity clothes that fit anymore, I haven't been feeling well and my feet are so swollen that I can't hardly get shoes on. I bought a dress off ebay for easter but it is sleeveless and I don't have anything to wear over it not to mention the shoes I have to go with it won't go on my feet. About the only thing I have left that will fit me is around the house clothes (sweatpants and my DH t-shirts). I am gonna be spending Easter here getting some much needed rest!
My feet have swollen so bad, I went out and bought a pair of ugly Crocs. They are hideous to look at, but are the only things that fit right now.
#13 of 27 Old 04-07-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucifer View Post
My feet have swollen so bad, I went out and bought a pair of ugly Crocs. They are hideous to look at, but are the only things that fit right now.
Yup I have some of them too...That is all I wear now. My MIL would have a heart attack if I showed up for easter wearing crocs
#14 of 27 Old 04-07-2007, 03:52 PM

My family will all be coming here for easter, and I definitely want to hide out. Today is my edd and I'm going to have to hear about being overdue all day tomorrow. I also feel really crampy and tired and grumpy and I just don't want to deal with everyone. unfortunately I don't think theres any way around it. They're all coming to my house. and they are all very dramatic, and will be touching me and yelling into my belly all day. :

I feel it would be very rude to hide out in my bedroom all day, but I just might be "not feeling very well". I just can't stand it right now. I'm anxious enough as it is. And I have been so grumpy lately...
#15 of 27 Old 04-07-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittanySmiles View Post
And all those questions and comments...about if I'm dilated yet (mw doesn't yet check that very private part of my body thank you), or if it's twins or not (pretty sure there's just one set of legs kicking my ribs), the name issue which I really feel like keeping private, how "ready I am to pop" :
ah exactly. I get all of this constantly. *grrrr.... * I also don't feel like talking about the name, which everyone seems to find insulting. I just don't want to tell everyone. Geesh. It's not up for debate, and quite frankly I don't really want to hear your opinions about it all day. heh. Can you tell how grumpy I am today?

I also didn't even realize it was easter until a few days ago, and one of my first thoughts was of the food. haha. but my whole family likes to analyze everything I put into my mouth. So I guess Ill have to wait till they're gone and then stuff my face with leftovers. They really make me so uncomfortable... I can't wait to be not pregnant so everyone can leave me alone!
#16 of 27 Old 04-07-2007, 04:14 PM

My mum asked us to have easter at her place - along with some other family members but I really just didn't want to go. Instead we are going to the zoo for the day!
#17 of 27 Old 04-07-2007, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucifer View Post
Plus, they smoke indoors
:Puke

That's reason enough for me! The residual smell on a habitual smoker is enough to make me sick, let alone a house. Blech. But it's always made me ill...even moreso now.

I feel better about not wanting to go now...thank you ladies. I just don't want to seem rude, especially since we plan on babymooning for awhile as well. DH doesn't really want to go so much either...we'll see. I'm glad to know a bunch of you are also taking it easy. Makes me feel better about my decision
#18 of 27 Old 04-07-2007, 09:41 PM

Its nice to hear I'm not the only one feeling a little antisocial. I'll be 41 weeks tomorrow. I have nothing to wear- I've outgrown my maternity shirts, but I'm definitely not buying more. And I'm so sick of being told how huge I am and being asked when I'm finally going to go get induced. So, I'm kind of thinking I might just hide out if I can get away with it. But then people will probably start calling to see if I'm in labor...

Mama to two sweet boys and a baby girl.  
#19 of 27 Old 04-07-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
ah exactly. I get all of this constantly. *grrrr.... * I also don't feel like talking about the name, which everyone seems to find insulting. I just don't want to tell everyone. Geesh. It's not up for debate, and quite frankly I don't really want to hear your opinions about it all day. heh. Can you tell how grumpy I am today?

I also didn't even realize it was easter until a few days ago, and one of my first thoughts was of the food. haha. but my whole family likes to analyze everything I put into my mouth. So I guess Ill have to wait till they're gone and then stuff my face with leftovers. They really make me so uncomfortable... I can't wait to be not pregnant so everyone can leave me alone!
I hate to be a downer here, but it so wont end with birth. The same people who are analyzing what you are eating will be the ones telling you how to hold the baby, when you should put him down, what to feed him or her and when etc. etc. etc.

Oh it never ends.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#20 of 27 Old 04-07-2007, 10:48 PM

We elected not to go to my in-laws, because it's two hours north and because everyone would have something to say about the baby, or me, or my size, or SOMETHING. Instead, we're going to my aunt and uncle's house. My cousin and her girlfriend are in town, and my husband and I will be the "token straight couple" because all their friends are coming over.
Considering my cousin's friend and his boyfriend have been after us to "do our duty" and "spawn" for a while (hee hee!), I anticipate lots of interested poking and prodding. It's different when they do it than when my in-laws do it, though, because these guys ASK first. And they're so delightfully weirded out when the baby moves that it's completely hysterical!
I'm having stomach cramps and...er..."loose bowels" tonight, which I'm told can mean labor is on it's way. So maybe I'll have a little Easter bunny!
#21 of 27 Old 04-08-2007, 11:43 AM

Well, we were planning on hiding out all day at home, just relaxing and eating. But got a last minute "invite" from my mom...so we're going to stop over for a little bit. I'm sure we won't stay long. I have a very short time limit for being out of my house these days...
#22 of 27 Old 04-08-2007, 12:59 PM

Ladies, you are making me feel so much better. DH and I had planned to get up, go to church (which we do weekly anyway) and have lunch with friends.

I took a shower and DH asked how I was and I burst into tears. Needless to say he tucked me into bed and said we weren't going to do anything if I didn't feel up to it! Feeling much better after a short nap and thanks to DH I am not miserable!

Oh yeah and I have run out of clothes too! Glad I am not the only one!

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#23 of 27 Old 04-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Banned

we are hiding out today. Eliott came home and I cant take him out to my parents with the family. So we are enjoying easter on the couch with the boys. O is terrorizing his new brother and E is asleep on me
#24 of 27 Old 04-08-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katytheprincess2 View Post
Yup I have some of them too...That is all I wear now. My MIL would have a heart attack if I showed up for easter wearing crocs
All the more reason to wear them!!

Okay, I'm kidding...sort of...I mean, if they are the only pair that FIT...for Pete's sake...
#25 of 27 Old 04-08-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittanySmiles View Post
:Puke

That's reason enough for me! The residual smell on a habitual smoker is enough to make me sick, let alone a house. Blech. But it's always made me ill...even moreso now.
If ONLY I had a violent aversion to smoke...I certainly wouldn't be going!
#26 of 27 Old 04-08-2007, 06:28 PM

DH suggested staying home and making a nice breakfast-but I am SICK of food! Cooking, and cleaning up! I selfishly wanted to go bc it would be delicious and I could just sit around and chat!

We just got back and was it ever worth it!!! I just took a nap and am feeling OK!

We also did a little Easter Egg Hunt for DS, he had so much fun!
#27 of 27 Old 04-08-2007, 08:55 PM

I choose to stay home and hide out as well! My family always seems to expect me to do all the big holidays and no way I felt up to all the cooking, cleaning, organizing etc. so I told everyone I wasnt cooking. I did cook though, I made a ham, some potato salad then a greenbean casserole, instant gravy and dinner rolls. But I did it with no timetable for when it would get done. DH mowed the lawn and went fishing. I put the ham in this morning, fil peeled and cooked the potatos, then after lunch I made the potato salad and threw in the greenbean casserole. And hour or so after that I did the gravy and rolls, then left it warming on the stovetop under aluminum foil until I was hungry. It was so nice and peaceful! Ran into my sil yesterday who said they were stopping by after church, so I cleaned even though I was going to rest, but then they didnt bother to come after all. sigh. Oh well.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page