HELP! I have a yeast infection... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-09-2007, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is awful...
What is the best way to treat this quickly?? The last YI I had would NOT go away with natural remedies, I had to do a 7 day canestan thing and that worked, but I don't think that would be a good idea right now, since I'm due in 7 days and I don't want the baby coming into contact with that stuff in the birth canal. I have a mw appt tomorrow, so I will ask, but I'm so uncomfortable, so if anyone has any ideas for me I'd love to hear them. I'm pretty sure the hfs is open today...
TIA,
Anika

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#2 of 8 Old 04-09-2007, 11:50 AM

So sorry Anika...

Have you tried anything yet? Like yogurt or probiotics vaginally? If nothing else, the yogurt might be soothing.

Maybe start some super doses of GSE?

Wish I had some sure-fire remedy for you...
#3 of 8 Old 04-09-2007, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

I did try some yogurt vaginally, it helped briefly...I think I will go get some probiotics and try that. What is GSE?
A

#4 of 8 Old 04-09-2007, 12:42 PM

GSE- grapefruit seed extract

I have heard people great success with tto-tea tree oil soaked tampons, I am personally not comfortable doing that in pregnancy, but I hate tampons in general.

I would do this- I am a veteran of fighting YI, I have been especially prone with the pH changes of pregnancy.

1) cut out all sugars, all refined products, severely limit juice if consuming any and fruit as well. I would stay away from grains period if you really want to kick it.

2) Get some keifir or yogurt or some probiotics and start with that.

3) Garlic capsules as well as doing garlic inserted vaginally.

4) I would up my vit C intake as well as echinicea as a general immune boosting

5) make sure your panties are cotton and go commando if you can

6) I would personally swear off sex for a couple days as well

7) A dilute acv rinse can feel good as well

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#5 of 8 Old 04-09-2007, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

1) cut out all sugars, all refined products, severely limit juice if consuming any and fruit as well. I would stay away from grains period if you really want to kick it.
I will die of starvation!! I don't drink juice, but I eat lots of fruit and grains...well, that's about all I feel like eating these days

2) Get some keifir or yogurt or some probiotics and start with that.
Just picked up some probiotics, so hopefully that works...

3) Garlic capsules as well as doing garlic inserted vaginally.
I guess I should leave out the EPO if I'm putting in the garlic eh?!

4) I would up my vit C intake as well as echinicea as a general immune boosting
Sounds reasonable...
5) make sure your panties are cotton and go commando if you can
TMI, but going commando is not an option right now!

6) I would personally swear off sex for a couple days as well
No problem!!

7) A dilute acv rinse can feel good as well
Thank you for your suggestions cm! Can I insert the probiotics vaginally as well? Or instead of garlic?
And has anyone heard of oil or oregeno for treating yi?
I never have had to deal with this too much...only when preggers.
A

#6 of 8 Old 04-09-2007, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are you absolutely sure that's what it is? I only ask because I thought I had one and the doc actually looked under a microscope, and it turned out not to be a yeast infection at all.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#7 of 8 Old 04-09-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn'smama View Post
This is awful...
What is the best way to treat this quickly?? The last YI I had would NOT go away with natural remedies, I had to do a 7 day canestan thing and that worked, but I don't think that would be a good idea right now, since I'm due in 7 days and I don't want the baby coming into contact with that stuff in the birth canal. I have a mw appt tomorrow, so I will ask, but I'm so uncomfortable, so if anyone has any ideas for me I'd love to hear them. I'm pretty sure the hfs is open today...
TIA,
Anika
If it IS a yeast infection (and if you have any doubt, you should probably get a culture) and I were in your shoes (and I could be because I have been fighting the yeasties this whole pregnancy so far), I'd personally treat aggressively with Monistat 7 cream.

That would likely clear it up within a couple days - but of course keep treating even when symptoms recede. In fact, at this point I would continue the course beyond 7 days (14, 21 days - however long). I'd check with my midwife to see if okay to use right up until labor started to keep the yeast completely at bay until my babe was born.

That stuff is absorbed pretty quickly so it's not going to hang around much for baby to come into contact with it (plus birth fluids, etc. are likely to wash residue away). Also, I'd consider the risks associated with better than the yeast itself.

JM2CW!! I've been worried about this happening, too, so your post totally caught my attention.

#8 of 8 Old 04-09-2007, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Are you absolutely sure that's what it is? I only ask because I thought I had one and the doc actually looked under a microscope, and it turned out not to be a yeast infection at all.
Well, I guess I can't be positive without a culture, and I will ask tomorrow. I'm pretty sure though...it was really aggravated after we dtd the other night. Anyhoo, probiotics can't hurt (and neither can cutting back on sugar!) and I wouldn't do anything over the counter until I know for sure.
The itching is driving me nuts!!: (sorry about the tmi!)
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Anika

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page