natural induction at 41 wks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-10-2007, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am almost 41 weeks and my midwife wants to schedule me for an induction early next week... I would like to try anything and everything to get this baby moving before then. I've felt lots of pressure, and plenty of bh ctx for the last week or so. I went in today and am only a "fingertip" dilated and 50% effaced. I'm not even sure if that really means anything at all. So I would really appreciate any advice on how to get things moving... I really would like to have him before Monday to avoid a medical induction...

I have been trying some milder methods over the last few weeks

- lots of sex
- lots of pineapple
- spicy food
- walking
- stretching/squatting
- some relaxation techniques and theraputic sleep techniques
- rrl tea (although only in small amounts - i am considering starting to drink a stronger brew more frequently)

but now I think it's time to try something more powerful and have been looking into other methods.

The first thing that comes to mind is castor oil. does anyone have any experience with this? I've also heard that Metamucil will do the same thing and is easier to take, but is that true? I've also heard that using castor oil is believed to be associated with a higher risk of the baby passing meconium... Is that true? What are the chances of it actually working anyway? anyone had any success??

the next thing I'm considering is nipple stimulation, but how do you do it? do you need a breast pump? will a manual one do? is there an effective way to do it without a pump? and does this method really have much effect if you are not already actively contracting ? I also heard somewhere that using warm/hot towels on your breasts can somehow stimulate things in a similar way, does that make sense?

I also recently read somewhere that chamomile tea can stimulate contractions, but I drink it regularly and it hasn't done anything really. Does it really cause ctx? maybe if stronger?

Other things I've come accross that I'm unsure about :

- Black and Blue cohosh - not even sure what this is or how to use it... I've heard theres some risk involved?
- Cleary sage and jasmine essential oils (just smelling them, or rubbing them into the belly)
- Cimicifuga and Caulophyllum - again, not a clue about it
- primerose oil taken orally and/or vaginally

: so.... I'm a bit overwhelmed with all of this information, and I don't really know where I should start. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2007, 07:11 PM

Primrose Oil certainly wont hurt. its more to ripen the cervix than it is to actually induce labor... I have been taking it orally since 35 weeks and now am doubling my dose to 4x a day plus vaginally at night. I did take castor oil twice with my last pregnancy, at about 41 weeks and then again a few days later. The first time it did give me a few ctx but they petered out and the 2nd time it didnt do anything (except dairrhea of course). I have also read that it can cause baby to pass meconium but I have also read people who question that because apparently a baby that is a little past the edd is more likely to pass mec anyway (or so I read anyway). I personally would do castor oil again if I felt it was necessary - though it was *extrememly* unpleasant and the 2nd swallow I nearly threw up into the sink. I still cant have OJ because I can practically taste the casor oil.

Cant help you much on the herbs. My mw says she has a lot of success with cottonroot bark? I have googled that a bit and cant find much on it - maybe it just has another name that is more common I dont know.

You can use a pump or you can just kind of stimulate your nipples yourself. If you google it you can find specific directions.

I have not heard of the chamomile tea thing..

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2007, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have some good friends that have an accupuncture practice, though I have never tried it, our friend does accupuncture induction. She says it is quite reliable and most women they "induce" have their baby that same day. You may want to research this and see if there is anyone in your area that does this. I was 41.6 weeks over due and planned on taking castor oil with my 1st dd, but if this happens again, I am going to give accupuncture a try (though this is typically not "my thing") Hoping you find some thing that works.

PS Just to tell you, we tried EVERTHING shy of castor oil, and nothing started labor, except good old mother nature. You know you could also tell your mw, you are going to wait, dispite her advice. Does she have good reason for wanting to induce?

Marci

knit.gif

Married to my best friend, homeschooling, gardening,

running a camp for at-risk kiddos and walking a narrow path.

Mom to an amazingly fun crew of 5!

hearts.gifafro.jpg  wave.gif   thumbsuck.gif     boc.gif 

Old 04-10-2007, 08:44 PM

Is this your first kiddo? I believe 41w4d is the average for first time moms..

User Tag List