I am almost 41 weeks and my midwife wants to schedule me for an induction early next week... I would like to try anything and everything to get this baby moving before then. I've felt lots of pressure, and plenty of bh ctx for the last week or so. I went in today and am only a "fingertip" dilated and 50% effaced. I'm not even sure if that really means anything at all. So I would really appreciate any advice on how to get things moving... I really would like to have him before Monday to avoid a medical induction...
I have been trying some milder methods over the last few weeks
- lots of sex
- lots of pineapple
- spicy food
- some relaxation techniques and theraputic sleep techniques
- rrl tea (although only in small amounts - i am considering starting to drink a stronger brew more frequently)
but now I think it's time to try something more powerful and have been looking into other methods.
The first thing that comes to mind is castor oil. does anyone have any experience with this? I've also heard that Metamucil will do the same thing and is easier to take, but is that true? I've also heard that using castor oil is believed to be associated with a higher risk of the baby passing meconium... Is that true? What are the chances of it actually working anyway? anyone had any success??
the next thing I'm considering is nipple stimulation, but how do you do it? do you need a breast pump? will a manual one do? is there an effective way to do it without a pump? and does this method really have much effect if you are not already actively contracting ? I also heard somewhere that using warm/hot towels on your breasts can somehow stimulate things in a similar way, does that make sense?
I also recently read somewhere that chamomile tea can stimulate contractions, but I drink it regularly and it hasn't done anything really. Does it really cause ctx? maybe if stronger?
Other things I've come accross that I'm unsure about :
- Black and Blue cohosh - not even sure what this is or how to use it... I've heard theres some risk involved?
- Cleary sage and jasmine essential oils (just smelling them, or rubbing them into the belly)
- Cimicifuga and Caulophyllum - again, not a clue about it
- primerose oil taken orally and/or vaginally
: so.... I'm a bit overwhelmed with all of this information, and I don't really know where I should start. Any advice?