Do your babies have a pattern? Is everyone settling in? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-12-2007, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My little guy (1 week 2 days old) seems to nap a lot during the day. The longest he's been awake is 2ish hours at a a stretch. Naps vary in length and whether or not I actually put him down, he sleeps longer if I hold him. He's been sleeping in the swing a lot during the day so I can hang out with him and keep him used to the noise his big sisters make.

I've been co-sleeping and he gets up 2 or 3 times a night, but settles back down after a half hour or so (man I hope he keeps that up) I don't feel like too much of a zombie.

He's like my drug. I'm totally addicted. Everything is SO bittersweet. I had a tubal (for all the "right" reasons, just maybe not fully thought out emotional ones)

Anyway, I just wondered how all the new moms are doing. How everyone is settling in and adjusting.
#2 of 9 Old 04-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Banned

Sierras latest pattern is mommy or daddy leave the room and i become a drama queen. I was visiting her this morning had to leave to pump and she almost coded. So i had to go back and talk to her and finally after 2 hours she let me sneak away. The nurses kept laughing because she is paralyzed and sedated yet knows when i try to leave the room :
#3 of 9 Old 04-12-2007, 01:32 PM

My baby has a simple pattern.... all she wants to do is sleep! She is totally opposite from how my DS was at birth. He was always awake at least every 2 hours and screaming his head off to eat. He was also very difficult to get to sleep at times. Meah just wants to sleep. We have to wake her to eat and sometimes keeping her awake through a feeding is a real challenge. She did/does have a slight touch of jaundice which I understand can be the cause of the sleepiness. I am slightly worried but have been reassured by our pediatrician and countless mommy friends that Meah is ok. She is eating enough and gaining weight so I need not worry. I'm sure she will start to perk up as she gets closer to her EDD (4/22).

We've also been sort of co-sleeping. Dh is really afraid of creating a bad habit but at this age, Meah isn't forming any yet, I'm sure. We also have a mini co-sleeper next to the bed but I prefer to have her next to me. During the day, she sleeps mostly in her little cot in our living room or while one of us is holding her.

I am doing well. Because Meah is so sleepy, I really do not feel sleep deprived or feel a lot of the stresses of having a crazy new schedule. DS is adjusting well (though Grandma is leaving today so I'm sure he will have some issues not having someone at his beck-and-call all the time). I have two half days next week where it will be just me and the kiddos so I am a bit nervous about that. I won't yet be 2 weeks out from my c-section and cannot drive yet, but I'm confident we will manage fine at home alone.
#4 of 9 Old 04-12-2007, 01:44 PM

Ethan is a very awake baby. : VERY awake. If I'm lucky he takes one 2 hour nap during the day. Yesterday he was awake from 5:30pm-12:30am straight : He eats a LOT. He wants to live with the boob in his mouth Unfortunately this means when we have to go somewhere or I have to do something for the older kids, there is screaming because I have so rudely detatched him from his precious boobies. We bought a swing in hopes that I can get stuff done without hearing screaming and he likes it a lot! Yay for swing. He likes to ride in the sling (pouch, actually), but my boobs are so big that I can't nurse him in it because the poor fellow can't breathe! Geez, could I talk about boobs anymore??? This is my life these days: :2bfbabe:
#5 of 9 Old 04-12-2007, 01:59 PM

My guy is doing well and is 10 days old (sniff). He usually marathon nurses to total gluttony (I have a huge supply) and after an hour of the diaper change/nurse/poop/burp/poop/diaper change/nurse dance, he'll go to sleep. He sleeps way better in someone's arms or snuggled up. He seems to have a little reflux or a lot of gas/burps that wake him after he has just gone to sleep. He doesn't like to be horizontal much. He seems to want to eat every 2 - 3 hours, about half the time at the 2 hour mark and the other half at the three hour mark. He was very sleepy yesterday (basically slept all day) and this morning he was up from about 530 am to 10am being fussy and hard to soothe. He slept til 1230 then drank a bit, then is dozing on and off now. He is hard to put down, but is in a bouncy chair beside me right now while I try to eat some lunch. My mom is at her house for a few days and boy I am looking forward to her coming back!

On a related note, I have lost so much weight. I am 30 pounds lighter than when I was in labour, and 9 pounds lighter than when I got pregnant. I'm not trying to lose weight and am eating fairly well, just don't have a big appetite and don't get to snack often. Although I shouldn't try to lose weight now, I am secretly thrilled as it is really hard for me to lose weight generally :
#6 of 9 Old 04-12-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynnMarilynn View Post
On a related note, I have lost so much weight. I am 30 pounds lighter than when I was in labour, and 9 pounds lighter than when I got pregnant. I'm not trying to lose weight and am eating fairly well, just don't have a big appetite and don't get to snack often. Although I shouldn't try to lose weight now, I am secretly thrilled as it is really hard for me to lose weight generally :
Me too! Only I am only down ~ 2 lbs pre preg weight. I'm just not that hungry. Thirsty, yes - I drink somewhere around 60 oz + per day, which is really good for me because I don't usually drink much.

DD is a pretty good sleeper - she sleeps most of the time, but when awake, she wants to be "on tap". DH is really good at getting her to relax and nap when I need a break - it is so very cute. I have only had 1-2 nights where she was fussy all night. That's good, because I am a horrible napper - I took a 2 hour one today and still have a headache from it.
#7 of 9 Old 04-12-2007, 09:44 PM

Scarlet is doing great, sleeps alot. Sometimes I have to wake her to eat, other times she wakes on her own. At night she sleeps in her bassinet until I'm ready for bed and then I bring her in and nurse. Then she'll sleep for about 4 hours or so. There is a slight pattern, she's up at about 4am and again at about 6am, then up with us around 8ish. In the morning, she's awake for a while, although that might be my morning coffee. : The hardest part so far is nursing at night in the dark, so I keep a candle lit.

This morning, my SIL took ds out for a while so I could have a shower, etc. She asked if she should stay until I was done, then go, but I said, no, babe will sleep for a while now. Whoops, no, just as I was finishing, I heard Scarlet crying, so I leapt out of the shower, checked on her and she calmed when I spoke to her. I was at least able to put on half my clothes and then nurse her.

She is really an easy babe so far, even is getting used to the cold wipes.
#8 of 9 Old 04-12-2007, 11:58 PM

Its so nice to see that you all are settling in.

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#9 of 9 Old 04-13-2007, 01:20 PM

Logan sleeps a lot - if I let him sleep in my arms. He is only awake for short periods of time, which are spent primarily nursing. He almost completely refuses to sleep by himself (in the crib, which is side-car'd to our bed) although today he is surprising me and sleeping there now (for about 45 mins so far.) He doesn't have a pattern yet. Some nights/days he wants to marathon nurse and other times, like last night, I could barely get him awake to eat. I've been worrying about supply issues - my milk didn't come in until Day 8/9 but at his weight check a week ago, he was ok and we have another one on Monday. He often gets fussy soon after nursing - but only if I put him down, not if I hold him - so I'm not sure if he is still hungry or just needs pacified by the boobies. DH has tried to give me short breaks (so I can use the bathroom, shower and eat at least!) but the only thing that consoles him is mommy and the boob. And once he gets on the boob, he can go from crying to calm to sleep in mere seconds so I think a lot of it is comfort-sucking. Sometimes he nurses vigorously (when hungry?) and other times I have to keep prodding him to not do that cute little nibble but actually suck.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page