Baby Sophia's birth story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-21-2007, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Baby Sophia’s birth story

At my appointment on Tuesday, my doctor asked when I wanted to be induced. I think she expected me to say “Let’s go now.” Instead, I asked if we could wait for Thursday because Maddie had dance pictures that night and Wednesday was busy too with Ellysia’s pictures, preschool, kindermusic, etc. So Wednesday night, Jeff and I went on a dinner date and settled on names (or so we thought at the time.) While we were out, my doctor called and asked if we could move the induction until the afternoon because she had a meeting all morning. We agreed. So that morning Jeff is finishing signing off of the taxes, but noticed an error so he was making phone calls to get everything rearranged. They said we could stop by on Friday to sign the forms, but he said we would stop by around noon and do that in person. My mom came, we kissed the girls, and headed off to finish the taxes. We still had a bit before we were due to arrive at the hospital so we stopped at Falls Park (the waterfalls that my town is named after) and Jeff took pictures of me there while we walked around. It’s a special place for the two of us as that is where he proposed.

We arrived at the hospital around 1:30. I was 2 cm and my doctor broke my water at 3pm. At 6 pm I still wasn’t contracting even with all of the walking we were doing so we started pitocin. We walked for a bit more and then watched Survivor. By 8:30 I was getting uncomfortable and decided to get into the whirlpool. That really helped me to relax and I did get to 7cm, but the head was still quite high (and OP). So at that point I asked for an epidural. I was comfortable and slept from 11 until midnight. Then I was awake for a bit talking to my new nurse for a bit, but then slept until a little before 2. The nurses kept thinking I was going to call them into the room with the baby already under the sheets, but I did have to push 5 times. Once my doctor got her to turn to OA she came right out. She got to come right up to my chest and she was trying to look all around. Such a beautiful sight!

It has been so fun to see who she looks most alike. At first we said, Ellysia, but at times I can see Maddie and Claire too. When she scrunches up her little face I just have to laugh because I know I’ve seen that expression before!

Her sisters love her to pieces. Jeff and I are just thrilled. I couldn’t have asked for a better experiences as I felt I was in control and everything went so smoothly.

Initially, we had a different name, but by morning we realized that it wasn't right. So we had to work on a different first name that worked with our other girls' names as well as LaVonne. LaVonne is special because it was DH's mother's name.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#2 of 3 Old 04-21-2007, 04:17 PM

What a great story! I am so glad you had a peaceful experience!

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#3 of 3 Old 04-21-2007, 04:29 PM

I like her name! You are lucky to have slept during labor!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page