After a very long 2 days, my beautiful baby boy was born Wednesday April 18th at about 7:49pm!
I went in Tuesday morning for the gel to be applied to my cervix, and everything seemed to be going very well, I was contracting and dialating when I went back to be checked and they decided to admit me to an Independant Stay room upstairs so I could go relax in the bath and when things started to get going I could just go back down to early assessment rather than go home and come back.
When I went back down my contractions were fairly strong, and about a minute or two apart. They checked my cervix and I had not dialated any further. Sent me for a walk. Came back, nothing.
They sent me back up to the ISR and I had another bath, watched TV with my husband and we fell asleep. I woke up at 6:15 am, and I was no longer contracting at all. Went down to be checked and was told that the nurse who was assigned to me had just gone upstairs to get me as my dr ordered pitocin.
My contractions started again, mildy, on their own, but I still was not dialating, and the drs were concerned because the baby's head still was not descending. Pit was started, several hours later and I dialated to 3-4cm. Pit was increased. Another internal check and they realized that there was still no change in the head descending, and in fact whenever the dr touched the baby's head, it bounced away, meaning that there was a possibility that the cord could prolapse if my water broke on it's own, meaning an emergency c-section. They decided that my water would need to be broken in a controlled fashion, and then they realized I actually had more amniotic fluid than what is typical, in fact as soon as the majority of the fluid was out you could see the change in my belly size!
An hour or so after my water being broken, I was contracting constantly and I was in so much pain I could not even speak. I decided that I would be checked, then make a decision about pain meds. They checked me, and I still was not dialating very much. I decided to take the epidural, so I could rest.
Once the epi was in place, the dr sat down and explained that they were getting really concerned about the dips the baby's heartrate was taking with each contraction. He told me that I needed to be aware that as soon as the baby was born, the neo-natal team would be called in to make sure the baby was ok and not to be scared by that. He then explained that there was a good possibilty that if I did not start dialating soon then they may have to take me for a c-section. I was terrified and really upset, obviously. Shortly after that I basically passed out from exhaustion and slept for over an hour.
When I awoke I was introduced to the dr who was taking the next shift, and when he examined me he informed me that my cervix was co-operating finally and I was almost ready to push. C-Section was not mentioned again. He asked me to try some pushing with my next contraction to see if they could get the last bit of my cervix out of the way. Pushed for an hour, then they topped up my epi meds, hooked me up to the oxgen and I fell back to sleep for a while.
When I woke up, my body was pushing on it's own, and I started to push with it. The baby's heartrate was not taking such scary prolonged dips. After what seemed like an eternity (but really wasn't all that long) I pushed him out, and they discovered that the cord was around his neck twice. The final push tightened the cord, which put him into arrest, requiring resuscitation (sp?). Both my husband and my mom told me later that he was a very scary shade of purple, something I am very glad I did not see. They had him revived very quickly, and held him up so I could see him and hear him cry. They brought him to me as soon as they could, his first Apgar was only 3, so they had to make sure he was ok. In the meantime, I had to get the placenta out, and there was more concern because my uterus seemed to be too large, and they were worried something more was wrong, but they soon had the clots out (ew) and I was ok. One very small tear that needed stitching but overall I was good.
They brought him over and I was able to try putting him to breast, and he latched on like he's been at it forever. It was great.
However, we were so suprised that he was a boy, he went nameless until yesterday morning. We had chosen his middle names ages ago, but had not settled on a first name...but we were so sure that I was carrying a girl that we weren't too worried
After much discussion and trying out other names we chose Gabriel.
Gabriel ended up showing signs of jaundice, and needed phototherapy for a couple of days, they finally released us this afternoon. It's been a very long week, I'm so happy to be home.
I will be posting photos on my blog this evening, I am now going to lay down and nurse him before my kids get home from "Nana-Land". I'll edit this post to include the link when I do.
Here are his 'stats':
weight: 8lbs 4.4 oz
length: 20.5 inches