What vaccinations are you giving your new baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 04-22-2007, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so torn over whether to vaccinate or not, especially the DTaP vaccination. I value the opinions of the mamas in this DDC - what vaccinations are you getting for your new little one?

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#2 of 27 Old 04-22-2007, 01:59 PM

Not planning on any. But we'll probably reevaluate in a year or so.
#3 of 27 Old 04-22-2007, 02:03 PM

none
I was a little afraid of what my doctor would say but he didn't even ask.
#4 of 27 Old 04-22-2007, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
None until age two. I just really guard my little one from others, and hope for the best. However, Addie hasn't had any and she only went to the Dr. once last year (I thought she had strep, but no) and she has never needed to take antibiotics.

Marci

knit.gif

Married to my best friend, homeschooling, gardening,

running a camp for at-risk kiddos and walking a narrow path.

Mom to an amazingly fun crew of 5!

hearts.gifafro.jpg  wave.gif   thumbsuck.gif     boc.gif 

#5 of 27 Old 04-22-2007, 02:12 PM

I am not sure yet. I need to look at the newborn schedule and figure it out. I do know he wont be getting the hep b and nothing else for at least 6 months
#6 of 27 Old 04-22-2007, 02:23 PM

We are not vaccinating for at least 18 mos. I am going to research more. I got all of ds's on schedule but I am opting to wait this time after hearing some really frightening stories.
#7 of 27 Old 04-22-2007, 02:38 PM

None.
#8 of 27 Old 04-22-2007, 02:44 PM

none!
#9 of 27 Old 04-22-2007, 02:53 PM

Is it safe not to vax if your child will be going to daycare??
She won't be for a while, but I was wondering about that...
#10 of 27 Old 04-22-2007, 02:59 PM

Crashing the party from the March DDC...

I've had my kids in daycare at various times and we don't vaccinate at all. Do some more research on vaccines and the diseases they "protect" us from. Frankly, efficacy ratings are a lot lower than you think, and as you learn more about diseases you might not be so afraid of them anymore.

A good example is chicken pox. We all had it, we all survived it. Itching and a week off of school right? But read varicella vaccine literature or talk to your pediatrican and I bet you'll hear how "harmful" and "deadly" varicella is. Propaganda. The same is true for other "vaccine preventable diseases".
#11 of 27 Old 04-22-2007, 09:14 PM

I think that my answer to your question would be none until 2yo except for a couple of things. 1) DH and I run a children's summer camp on a farm that is a couple of hours from major medical services. 2) It's a working farm with plenty of prime conditions for tetanus. 3) There have been pertussis outbreaks in our area. So, ds1 had DTaP and we will get it for ds2. I think the vaccination issue is so difficult because of the public health/scare tactics on both sides. Being skeptical and having the strength to go against commonly held beliefs helped dh and me with our decision to do a very limited and delayed vaccination schedule.

DS#1 1/05, DS#2 4/07, DD 12/11  homebirth.jpgcd.gif

#12 of 27 Old 04-23-2007, 11:08 AM

We are selectively vaccinating but we are going to start when Kara is 2m old on the regular schedule for those vaxs.

We are doing DPaT and HIB (its combined) and the Polio vaccine. We are discussing the Pneumococal Vaccine (sp is wrong I am sure) and I am leaning more towards doing it than not.
#13 of 27 Old 04-23-2007, 11:16 AM

None. This is my fourth, and we've not done any vaxes for any of our children. We lead a normal busy life with our children, don't avoid anything. We have had exactly one ear infection, which we treated without abx, and work really hard to make sure our children are healthy.

We are regularly on a farm, around other children, at various activities, etc.

Check out the vaccination forum for lots of very good information and links.
#14 of 27 Old 04-23-2007, 11:31 AM

None.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#15 of 27 Old 04-23-2007, 11:44 AM

None.
#16 of 27 Old 04-23-2007, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I feel a lot more comfortable with considering not vaccinating. The only thing I am really concerned with if I choose not to is pertussis. For those of you who haven't vaccinated - did your kids get whooping cough? If so, at what age? What was the experience? Were you BF'ing at the time?

#17 of 27 Old 04-23-2007, 12:45 PM

Not in your group- but my dd is 2.5yrs old and hasn't had pertussis. Totally unvaxed and we don't do anything special.

-Angela
#18 of 27 Old 04-23-2007, 01:57 PM

Have you checkd out the vax forum here? I am sure there is more in depth info there. What is interesting, is that I have lots of freinds who also do not vax, and it seems like we all have one thing that we are more concerned about than the others. One friend is worried about measles, one is more concerned about pertussis. Mine is rubella (I still don't vax for it, it is just the disease that concerns me most.) Chicken pox is one of my least concerning ones, because my 3 oldest had it, and it was no big deal.

Anyway, I haven't had any of my kids get pertussis, or any other disease that is vaxed for (excpet chicken pox). Maybe there are more stories in the vax forum.
#19 of 27 Old 04-23-2007, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

I've read existing threads on the vax forums but wanted to get mama's opinions here in the DDC. I feel like I know you all and the vax forums can be a little intimidating at times for people still on the fence.

I talked to DH and he is ok with not vaccinating. It is difficult for me to feel comfortable either way but deep down, I feel more comfortable not vaccinating or at least waiting until DS is older. I was formula fed and fully vaccinated as a child and wish I hadn't been. I have an auto-immune disorder now (MS) - who knows if they could be connected? The funny thing is that I don't even have full immunity to rubella, the one thing I sorta wish I had immunity to.

#20 of 27 Old 04-24-2007, 12:15 AM

You probably don't have full immunity for Rubella because vaccines don't generally give you full immunity.

My kids haven't had pertussis, but I know many who have. From what I understand, it's really not a big deal. Just a whole lot of coughing. Keep in mind though that the pertussis vaccine (which only comes combined with diptheria and tetanus - DTaP) is really ineffective. Pertussis is caused by bacteria, not a virus, and vaccines just don't work that way.
#21 of 27 Old 04-24-2007, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenitii View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I feel a lot more comfortable with considering not vaccinating. The only thing I am really concerned with if I choose not to is pertussis. For those of you who haven't vaccinated - did your kids get whooping cough? If so, at what age? What was the experience? Were you BF'ing at the time?
Katie, who is now 22m old nearly died of pertussis when she was 9-10 weeks old. This was during and after Hurricane Katrina and we infected more than 20 people due to sharing living space. There was another baby who had pertussis at the same time and she did died. I was completely breastfeeding her at that time and the experience was horrible. Of the four older children, three have had whooping cough. My oldest DD got it at 5 and she was seriously ill for several weeks and coughed for nearly 12 or so weeks. My oldest DS got it shortly after that and was mildly affected.

Just so you know my daughter Katie's case was documented and not a self diagnosed case of pertussis. There are lots of people in NFL forums who claim their children have had pertussis that are self diagnosed and did not have any testing whatsoever. My oldest DD was also a documented case (that was in 2002).
#22 of 27 Old 04-24-2007, 01:03 PM

no shots at all for my new baby. I had no problem declining the hep B vax at the hospital, the nurse just gave me a form to sign.

we don't vax and my children are very healthy.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#23 of 27 Old 04-24-2007, 01:12 PM

Pertussis is cyclical. Meaning, every so many years, there are more cases, and then there are fewer cases again. The Pertussis vax does not confer lasting immunity. It is debatable even whether it confers adequate immunity at all. Even if you've been vaxed for pertussis, chances are very good that you've developed a natural immunity, because the vax-induced immunity doesn't last a lifetime. If you went in to a Dr. with symptoms of pertussis, you would probably not be dx'ed with it if your records state that you were vaxed for it. You would most likely receive a different dx.

My oldest is almost 9, btw, and we've never had anything, despite the fact that we are around lots of people. We certainly don't shelter our children from anything; quite the contrary, I'd love for them to be exposed to some of those childhood diseases now, so that they have a lasting immunity. Many diseases are much milder if contracted as children (think chicken pox).

It is possible, however, to be exposed to the disease, and not develop clinical symptoms, esp. if you are very healthy. That just means that you have a very good immune system, that it is functioning properly.

It can be hard to break away from the fact that vaxes aren't the saving grace of modern medicine. There is really so much that is not known about how our bodies function that to inject foreign substances into it willy-nilly is, IMO, irresponsible. Do your research, take your time, and make an informed decision. There is no rush to vax your baby, you can always catch up if you decide to vax. You can't however, take out what you've put in.

Please go check out the vax forum. It can be intimidating, yes, but there is so much information there that you just won't find anywhere else. If you are really looking for help, you won't find mamas who try harder to help you anywhere else. I can tell you that from my own experience!
#24 of 27 Old 04-25-2007, 04:28 PM

We do not plan on vaccinating our child. We refused the Hep B shot in the hospital and will continue to refuse the rest of them throughout Patrick's "well" visits.
#25 of 27 Old 04-25-2007, 04:53 PM

OntheFence-how scary!!! We are still unsure, but Noah has his 1st check-up and PKU test tomorrow. I will probably decline till he is older
#26 of 27 Old 04-25-2007, 08:05 PM

My DD was vaxed on schedule until she was around 16 months when I really learned more about vaxes and decided to discontinue. DD had a reaction to the pertussis vax and I am very thankful it wasn't a worse reaction than the one she had. With the doc we all decided to discontinue the pertussis vax after her reaction to the first one. DS has never been vaxed and unless we travel more when he is older (like to a third world country with unclean water and living conditions) he will remain unvaxed. Had this babe lived she would not have been vaxed as well. None of my children have had any vpd, except DD had chicken pox last year (really not a big deal). I think for me it has been helpful to learn actual rates of diseases, the actual course the vpd's follow (like not all people who get polio are paralyzed--its actually a very rare thing), and the side effects of the vaccinations. Another good thing to know is what to have on hand if you decide not to vax--just in case your child does get a vpd to aide their immune system to fight it off.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#27 of 27 Old 04-27-2007, 03:10 PM

none.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page