Postpartum bleeding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 04-24-2007, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I thought my bleeding was almost over yesterday (I had slight pink discharge), 10 days postpartum. Then last night, I started gushing out blood. I was sleeping without a pad, so i had to get up and put one one. I don't fill the "one pad in an hour" and there don't seem to be any clots, but it is bright red and is more abundant, like a regular period.

Is this normal?
Anyone else has a sudden return of bleeding??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 04-24-2007, 07:48 PM

:
#3 of 22 Old 04-24-2007, 08:00 PM

I did today after DD1 kept me up all night with stomach flu. I assumed it was because I have had NO sleep...
#4 of 22 Old 04-24-2007, 08:21 PM

Remember that where your placenta was, there is a wound. The would is the size of your placenta. The bleeding is coming from that wound. It takes time for a wound that size to heal, and sometimes there is an increase in bleeding. Usually it is noticable right after being physically active, (shopping, doing housework, taking care of sick kiddos), sometimes it is related to emotional stress.
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it myself. I have had it happen before. What I would watch for is:
More than a pad an hour
Foul smell
Pain
Clots
Fever

Or, if you just feel off about, then I would definitely call your care provider.

#5 of 22 Old 04-24-2007, 09:26 PM

I thought that I was done, 18 days, but after a long walk on Monday, I am back to some light bleeding. It isn't bad, just a panty liner is needed, but still some blood on occasion.

MW stressed the point that I take it easy and not over do it, but it is so hard to just sit around rather than put on the sling and enjoy our long awaited beatiful weather.

mama to cecilia and rosa with 1 old:
#6 of 22 Old 04-24-2007, 09:27 PM

Oh, are you still taking iron? I have been lazy about it lately and just started back on the Floradix today.

Just a thought!

#7 of 22 Old 04-24-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phytoangel View Post
Oh, are you still taking iron? I have been lazy about it lately and just started back on the Floradix today.

Just a thought!
You too? My husband is a floradix pusher.
#8 of 22 Old 04-24-2007, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I did walk yesterday and I went to the breastfeeding clinic. I got home around 4pm and realised I hadn't eaten a thing all day. Then we ate greasy chicken and I had the worst indigestion that kept me up all night. So I guess this could be the reason why...
I'm also feeling a lot of pressure "down there", it's very uncomfortable and strange... Maybe it's nothing, but I'll call my OB just to make sure if I still feel this way tomorrow.

I can't wait to be back to normal!!! All these problems...
#9 of 22 Old 04-24-2007, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My regular period started 2 days after the postpartum bleeding.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#10 of 22 Old 04-24-2007, 09:46 PM

Donna thanks for the reminder. My bleeding picked up again today, ugh! Not that it was gone before, but ya know.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#11 of 22 Old 04-25-2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudat View Post
So I thought my bleeding was almost over yesterday (I had slight pink discharge), 10 days postpartum. Then last night, I started gushing out blood. I was sleeping without a pad, so i had to get up and put one one. I don't fill the "one pad in an hour" and there don't seem to be any clots, but it is bright red and is more abundant, like a regular period.

Is this normal?
Anyone else has a sudden return of bleeding??

I had the same experience around 10 days postpartum...and I thought the bleeding was over..
I still need a thin pad now..and it's been what? almost a month?!: I don't remember it taking this long with my DS1....
#12 of 22 Old 04-25-2007, 12:50 AM

Question...

So what exactly is a reason for a blood clot almost the size of an egg?...

I actually had one the day I got back from the hospital....and I didn't bother calling...
#13 of 22 Old 04-25-2007, 01:40 AM

Quote:
I'm also feeling a lot of pressure "down there", it's very uncomfortable and strange...
That happened to me after dd was born. It felt like things wanted to fall out. I just wasnt ready to be up and about. I think maybe part of it was from pushing for so long but I am not sure. I havent had it this time.
#14 of 22 Old 04-25-2007, 12:34 PM

To all of you--

PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. Going a step 'backward' in bleeding = go back to bed. Everything else can wait for now.

My recommendation is in bed for a week, then in pj's for a week. Your pelvic floor feels 'full' because you need time to heal, your uterus, bladder, intestines, stomach, all those things your pelvic floor holds up, are moving back into place and your musculature needs a chance to heal itself. It can do this best if you are not upright.

Please don't hurt yourselves. Getting too busy, not eating, taking stairs more than 3x per day will hurt you. I want you to be continent, and to stop bleeding.

Can't shake the doula, even when she's on maternity leave
#15 of 22 Old 04-25-2007, 12:34 PM

I actually logged on today to ask the same question!

Increased bleeding can be a sign of overdoing it-- but I haven't really changed what I was doing, so it's got me baffled. But I'm glad I'm not the only one, I won't worry about it then, but I will be glad to be back to normal!!

I'm on Floradix too...

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#16 of 22 Old 04-25-2007, 03:34 PM

Not my DDC, but I only have a little over a month to go and I couldn't resist coming here and reading all of the birth stories!!

This kind of postpartum bleedings has happened to me with the last several babies. The first baby I had, we moved across the country about three weeks after he was born. Needless to say, that whole experience meant I bled for a full six weeks after he was born, and a few days more. For the second baby, I was in a very stressful living situation and had an undetected health problem, so although the bleeding was lighter, it also lasted almost a full six weeks. The last two babies, however, things have gone more like what seem to be normal. The bleeding did seem to go pretty much away, but whenever I did anything even remotely strenuous (a SHORT walk, a trip to the store, etc) I would get another surge of bleeding starting a day or two after that. It is really hard to slow down sooo much. Especially with the other kids to watch. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, unless you have some of the other signs that indicate a problem, or if you feel so uneasy about it that you really need to talk to your midwife or something.
M.
#17 of 22 Old 04-25-2007, 04:59 PM

I have had this with my last two babies as well. I sure hope it is normal..I just kinda assumed it was
#18 of 22 Old 04-25-2007, 05:38 PM

It is SO hard staying in bed! I have CD to wash! I also feel like I should be helping out. DH is always complaining of being SOOOO tired! Tell me about it!

I too have experienced a surge in bleeding and spent the next day in bed and it helped so much! Now I know if I start to feel swelling down below-I am overdoing it.
#19 of 22 Old 04-27-2007, 12:47 PM

So, I haven't walked in two days and the bleeding is slowing down. I guess that it is nature's way of keeping us grounded and where we need to be.

#20 of 22 Old 04-27-2007, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phytoangel View Post
So, I haven't walked in two days and the bleeding is slowing down. I guess that it is nature's way of keeping us grounded and where we need to be.
Same here. Weird how with my first, I was up and walking with no problem, and with this 2nd pregnancy, I have to be way more vigilant about my physical activities. I wonder if it gets worst with subsequent pregnancies...
#21 of 22 Old 04-27-2007, 02:14 PM

Ditto. With DD1, I had to go back to school when she was 2 weeks, and I had been up and around since Day 2. This time, I am still in bed after almost 4 weeks, between trying to not have dark pink bleeding and the never ending viruses I keep getting.
#22 of 22 Old 04-28-2007, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Same here. Weird how with my first, I was up and walking with no problem, and with this 2nd pregnancy, I have to be way more vigilant about my physical activities. I wonder if it gets worst with subsequent pregnancies...
My second it was a couple weeks before i could really do much this time i have felt so much better and was able to do so much more with no bleeding.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page