The Birth of Elias Carl - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-28-2007, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Birth of Elias Carl

On April 24th I was awoken at 3 am to low crampy contractions. They came every eight minutes well into the next day. Tim stayed near home and we prepared our house for the arrival of our second child! At about 4 pm we went on a walk around the camp we live at. It was during this walk that I knew I would be having this baby soon. At 6 pm my parents arrived to take care of Addie, our two year old. We left for the hospital. Our hope was to have an unmedicated, midwife assisted, hospital, water birth.

At the hospital our midwife, Mary Louise, check my cervix and found it was at 4 cm. She said, I could go home and rest more, but that she suggested I walk around a bit and see if things changed. We did and sure enough, after a few laps of the ward I was at 5 cm. We were going to have this baby!!! They moved us into the water birth room and we started walking again. It was a fun time for both of us, walking, talking and thinking about our new sweet baby. About 10 pm I started having trouble staying relaxed so I was able to get in the tub. It was a nice tub, the nurse just couldn’t get it to fill more than half full, however, it did help me relax.

By around 11:30 things were getting hard. The nurse checked me and I was at 9 cm, she also broke my water and found it had merconium staining. They let me stay in the tub for a few more contractions, but then saw that the time was near to push and they made me get out. It was the worst feeling having to crawl out of the tub and to the bed. I barely made it! Tim had to nearly carry me there as we shuffled over to it! Once on the bed the midwife (who was finally present, we saw her a grand total of 4 times during the birth) found I still had a cervical lip and told me not to push. As I grabbed the bed rail, I honestly had no control at that point, wet, tense and feeling the baby so low, I pushed instinctually. It seemed like the baby just shot out of me when I gave a big push. Once the head was out they suctioned the baby’s lungs and the rest came out to my relief! The baby was born at 12:40 am. I remember them saying, “It’s a boy!” I could hardly believe it! What a nice surprise.

Tim grabbed the baby from the midwife and placed him on my chest. His little face was so cute! After the cord stopped pulsing, Tim cut the cord and they took the baby to be cleaned up and measured. Our boy weighed 7 pounds and 7 ounces. He was 19 inches long and his head was 13 centimeters. We named him Elias Carl ******. It means, a strong man that knows the Lord is God! This is our hope and prayer for him.

We were less than pleased with our hospital birth. Perhaps we were spoiled from our birth center birth before. The nurses were pushy, they wouldn’t allow Tim to bath our baby, and even tricked him into looking the other way (to get a hat) while they did something we requested they not do! An hour after birth, two male janitors came in our room and mopped with Clorox! It just seemed like one person after another kept walking in. Tim would say, “Oh, can you come back, she is nursing.” Which, no one respected, they just did what they wanted. They kept wanting to take the baby to do this and that, repeatedly undressing him all day long. It was ridiculous! We asked to leave the next morning and were thankfully released at about 3 pm. We won’t be having another hospital birth. But, despite the annoyances, we got our baby and avoided worse things.

Marci

knit.gif

Married to my best friend, homeschooling, gardening,

running a camp for at-risk kiddos and walking a narrow path.

Mom to an amazingly fun crew of 5!

hearts.gifafro.jpg  wave.gif   thumbsuck.gif     boc.gif 

#2 of 5 Old 04-28-2007, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
congrats!

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
#3 of 5 Old 04-28-2007, 03:20 PM

Congrats!

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#4 of 5 Old 04-28-2007, 04:24 PM

congrats! thanks for sharing your story. have a wonderful babymoon
#5 of 5 Old 04-28-2007, 04:28 PM

Congratulations!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page