Daniel James's Home Birth Story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2007, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Posting in parts to make it easier to read. This is definitely not an idyllic birth story, but I tried to write things down as I remember them. I am leaving room for the fact that my perception may be skewed.

Part One. The Beginning

Friday night (4/27) I was in a pretty foul mood. I kept having piddly little contractions that weren't going anywhere. DH took over bedtime so I wouldn't commit murder, and I started my green jello thread here on MDC. By the time I had sent him out for spicy Chinese food--yum--the thread was hopping, I was having some mild contractions, and I was a much happier mama.

I woke up Saturday morning (4/28)and was still having every-ten-minutes contractions, but they just weren't getting longer, stronger, or closer together. At this point, I was technically 18 days "overdue". Eventually, I went to the grocery store to finish the marketing. My in-laws arrived, and we all went to Katie Grace's recital. The baby kicked like crazy through the program and I was still contracting, and when we got back home, the contractions were regular enough that they were annoying me. At Chip's suggestion, I left my MIL in charge of dinner (we had corned beef and cabbage in the crockpot) and went upstairs to lie down.

After they left, we called some church people to see if the kids could spend the night. I thought this was it, and we'd have a baby by morning. We packed them up and Chip took them over. I called the midwife and let her know, and she said to call her back when something was happening. This really annoyed Chip.

They were coming every 5 or 6 minutes by 2 AM, so we called the midwife since she's about an hour away. By the time she and her assistant got here, things had slowed down again to every ten minutes. We found places for everyone to sleep. I was able to rest, but woke up from the contractions every now and again. Around 8 AM, we woke everyone up and tried to figure out what to do next.

She checked me, and I was 4-5 cm dilated. She stripped my membranes while she was in there, and I had a contraction which gave her a "bubble" of my bag of waters. She asked if I wanted her to break it since she had it right there, but I was kind of preoccupied with pain and just couldn't decide, so she didn't. I took some herbs (blue and black cohosh and squawvine).

After that, she and her assistant went to Perkins for breakfast. Chip and I were supposed to take a "brisk and productive" walk. We decided to walk to Perkins, about a mile and half each way. The talk of breakfast made me hungry, so we walked there, ate eggs benedict, and then walked back home. We sat with them at breakfast and talked about what to do next. She mentioned breaking my water, and I was pretty sure I would agree to it, but wanted to think about it.

Chip and I walked home. It was really a beautiful sunny breezy spring day. We walked through the college campus, which was empty, and it was all just very peaceful. When I got home, I brewed some labor tea and worked on tidying up the kitchen til the midwives got there. Liz got there first, and I asked what she would do if she was me. I know it really wasn't a fair question, but I was conflicted about AROM. On the one hand, it was 20 days past my due date and I had just about had it. On the other hand, I didn't want to "cheat." So we talked a little about not being a martyr just because I was married to an ideal and I decided I would do it. I had pretty much already made up my mind.

When K. got back, we talked about the possible risks, and then we went upstairs where she broke my water. It was clear with vernix, which she took as a sign that the baby wasn't as "late" as we thought. I went downstairs and made a potato and corn chowder to put in the crockpot for everyone to eat. I noticed the contractions were a lot more productive when I was up and about, which was a bummer cause I was really tired from the lack of sleep the night before and the three mile walk that morning. I saw in the recliner for a little, but was feeling restless and took a shower. By now it was around noon.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2007, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

By 1, the contractions were every 2 to 4 minutes apart, and they were pretty hard. Chip was wonderful, and I was able to sort of "sigh" through them, and everything was great. I remembered I had bought root beer popsicles--a labor tradition--and sent Chip down to get the package out of the deep freeze where we had hidden them from Michael. We tried to go for a walk, but didn't get two houses down before we saw a car-full of Michael's school friends, church members, and two sets of neighbors, so we went back inside. I couldn't get comfortable, and went upstairs and laid down on the bed.

Around 2:45 I switched from laying down to sitting on the birthing stool with Chip behind me. The midwives were in the room too, reading my Mothering collection. It is testimony to how miserable I was that when one of them asked if they needed to be put back in order, I let go of my OCD and just said "They're in order, but don't worry about it; I'll take care of it later." Usually I kill people who mess with my order.

By 3:30 things got really, really hard. I was panicking, and took Rescue Remedy twice. It worked, after a fashion, but them I would get really panicked again. I was still 5-6 and the baby was really posterior. I couldn't get comfortable, I couldn't get a break. When K. checked me, it felt like hell. I went from 5-6 to 8 in a snap, and everything was really intense. When she was finished, I laid on my left side and tried to relax. Endorphins must have kicked in, because I was able to almost sleep in between contractions for the next 30-45 minutes.

Around 4:30, I was on my hands and knees. I didn't know what to do. With my other children, I had a very clear and recognizable transition, and I knew when I needed to push. With this one, it was all very nebulous. She wanted to check me, and I freaked out. I didn't want anyone touching me inside. I didn't know if I should push or not. I didn't know what to do. There wasn't any sort of break or breather, and I kept wanting to change positions, but it hurt so much. I couldn't work with the contractions and I felt like I was fighting them every step of the way. I felt lost. I was on my side, my back, my hands and knees, the edge of the bed. Everything hurt.

K. checked me finally, and I was fully dilated except for a lip. She kept her hands in there, and was holding the lip back while I pushed, trying to help the baby get over it. I wanted to give up. I wanted to change positions. I thought I could just stand up and the baby would drop out.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 05-14-2007, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

By now, I was definitely pushing, but it was all very disorganized. I couldn't feel where to place the pushes, and by the time I got a feel for it, the contraction would be over. Then there were these big gaps between contractions, and they weren't coming in any predictable rhythm, so by the time the next one caught me by surprise, I was caught up in the same feeling of not being able to get in the groove of pushing. I tried pushing on the stool, but it wasn't working. K. said that my "baby room" was very much in the back of my pelvis, which meant that I was probably one of the few people in the universe better off pushing flat on my back and "pushing with my bottom". There was also some question of the baby's position. I resigned myself to pushing out the baby along with a killer case of 'rhoids.

So, I moved to the bed and tried pushing on my back. I missed the hospital. What I wanted more than anything in the world was a pair of stirrups, unlimited people to help me hold up my legs, the option to say "Screw it, I want a c-section". I just couldn't do it. My body wouldn't do it. I didn't feel any progress, I was panicking and yelling. K. actually gave me a "stop whining" speech, not in a mean way, but I was just losing it.

This went on for what seemed forever, but was really, according to my chart, only about 15 minutes. Finally, I sort of said, "screw it" and rolled over on my side. Then I got on my hands and knees on the middle of the bed. I stopped listening to anything or anyone except what my body was saying. I guess I figured if no one could get to the baby in that position, I would be pretty safe dropping the kid one foot onto a soft bed.

This was so different from the other births. There was no break, no rhythm, no organization. I finally got a feel for where to push, and I pushed with everything I had. I felt like I was turning blue and my head was going to explode. Chip says he was right by my side, but I don't remember. I don't remember anything.

I finally, finally felt the baby's head. Literally, with my hand. It was right there, and then the contraction just disappeared. The baby got sucked back all the way up. It was horrible. The end was right there in front of me, and then it was like getting stuck on the slide in Chutes and Ladder where you end up right back at the beginning of the game. I thought this happened five or six times, but Chip says it only happened two or three times. Regardless, I was just... I don't know. Scared to death? I thought I was killing him because I couldn't push him out. And even though no one said anything of the sort--I do remember they were very encouraging and saying things like "You almost had it!"--I felt for sure that if I didn't get him out, he would die. I remember thinking I was dying too. I felt like I was being split in two. I finally made a decision that I would die for this baby if that's what it took, and I pushed and pushed and pushed. I felt like everything inside me, not just the baby, but my whole life, was leaving me, and then he finally was born.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

I heard him gurgle, and I was vaguely shocked that I was still alive. My rump was still in the air, and I felt the cord that connected us between my legs. I put my head down and cried. They passed the baby up to between my legs, and I collapsed. It was a boy. He had a head full of hair, and was very, very pissed off. There was no quiet alertness or gazing adoringly at each other. He screamed and yelled. I felt like I had somehow left him down.

They placed a clean towel over him, and I held him on my chest. He was giving all the classic signs of being hungry, which really threw me for a loop. Newborns are not supposed to be hungry. But he was snuffling at my chest, gnawing at his fingers. It was bizarre. He latched on, would suck, then would scream. This went on for an hour.

Looking closely, he appeared to be about 2 weeks overdue. Lots of wrinkly and peeling skin, long nails. A head full of hair. The placenta was delivered, and L. cut the cord about 20 minutes after he was born.

Around 6:45, they came back up and weighed and measure him. He was 9 pounds. My biggest baby ever. He was 20 3/4 inches long, and his head circ. was 14 1/2 inches. I tore a little, but not enough to be stitched. The rhoids, alas, did return in full force. K. checked him out, and he was great. She gave us both arnica, and Liz made me a chlorophyll smoothie. Two actually. They were disgusting. K. did some cranial-sacral therapy on him, which calmed him down a tiny bit, then swaddled him, and we nursed some more. She read to me from some paper, but I didn't pay attention.

I felt disgusting. Not only had I peed and pooped all over everything, but I was sitting in a puddle of blood and clots. I wanted to shower.

Eventually, we made the bed and I got a shower. The kids showed up, but I didn't want them to come upstairs and see the blood, so I gave the baby to Chip and hobbled downstairs, where they were there with the church members who were watching them. I felt like someone had repeatedly punched me in the pelvis.

And I guess that's about it. The kids loved the baby,and spent another night and day away. The baby screamed and nursed and slept and finally pooped the hugest meconium poop I've ever seen in my life. The next day, I was bawling and afraid to go back up to the bedroom. Every time I shut my eyes, I had flashbacks. It got better.

Eventually, I realized it wasn't as bad as I thought. I talked it over with K., which really helped me to process things. Birth time is such a bizarre thing. Things I thought took hours only took minutes; things I thought took minutes actually only took an hour or so.

A lot of the problem, I realized later, was that I had very preconceived notions about how this birth would go. Because my last two births were progressively shorter and easier, I expected to sneeze and this baby would pop out. That just didn't happen. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be, but worth it. My first birth was a medicalized nightmare. My second was a perfectly lovely hippie hospital birth. My third was some where in between. This was probably my most spiritual birth. Words just can't even explain how I felt when he was being born. And DH, of course, is seeing a sermon in it all--death and resurrection imagery, even Daniel's name is symbolic of how he came into the world. I told DH I would not be happy if my birth story shows up in a sermon, .

Old 05-14-2007, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing your story! In so many ways it reminds me of my own...you did great mama!!!

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
Old 05-14-2007, 08:43 PM

Wow!
congrats you are amazing, and how is Daniel now? still pissed?:
Old 05-14-2007, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianmommax3 View Post
Wow!
congrats you are amazing, and how is Daniel now? still pissed?:
A little bit, actually. He sucks like crazy. As long as there's a boob in his mouth, he's happy. And he adores his daddy. I'm a little jealous, really. With me, it's all "Wah, wah, nurse me NOW!" but with Daddy, it's just gazing adoringly and cooing.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:55 PM

Aww, AM. I am so happy for you. I love his name, and I'll bet he is just gorgeous.

I miss you.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:05 PM

My birth with August was actually much like this -- days and days of labor that was long and slow and stalling followed by about 12 of the most intense hours of my life, a AROM, a lip on my cervix and the hand inside to help the head out (you have to be freaking wonder woman to get throught that in my opinion), and finally a 9 lb, 21 in, 14.5 inch head baby boy. So, the story sounds familiar.

Now I am 39 weeks and hoping it is not exactly the same this time!!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:32 PM

Well, I for one feel very honored to have been there, Annette. You truly did an amazing job and it was a lot of hard work- especially with the vacuuming(not literally, but it's the only way to describe the actions that went on!) of his head that went on!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:51 AM

As I have said before you are amazing to me! Thank you for sharing that story and Daniel. He is adorable and one lucky fella to have you as his mama!:

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
Old 05-15-2007, 10:57 AM

nak

thanks for sharing your story - you are so strong to wait that long after your edd - i would have been so scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
A little bit, actually. He sucks like crazy. As long as there's a boob in his mouth, he's happy. And he adores his daddy. I'm a little jealous, really. With me, it's all "Wah, wah, nurse me NOW!" but with Daddy, it's just gazing adoringly and cooing.
my ds also loves his daddy...sometimes i think ds just doesn't realize he can sit in my lap without eating
Old 05-15-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityChic View Post
Thanks for sharing your story! In so many ways it reminds me of my own...you did great mama!!!
i feel the same way...i expected my labor to be like last time and this one had absolutely no rhythm, no transition that was familiar...it was hard for me to feel what i was supposed to do.

and i think all the feelings you were having while pushing are so natural to have--b/c of hormones, b/c of the intensity...i definately have felt some of the feelings you were feeling. and my little one did the same thing this time...cried and cried and wanted to nurse and didn't and just seemed pissed off. with ds1, he wasn't like that at all.

it sounds like you did a great job! and you trusted your body and waited till baby was ready to come! and i think the way you perceive this birth will change over time. congrats on your hb and your new baby boy!

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
Old 05-15-2007, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzo View Post
Well, I for one feel very honored to have been there, Annette. You truly did an amazing job and it was a lot of hard work- especially with the vacuuming(not literally, but it's the only way to describe the actions that went on!) of his head that went on!
Liz was L. if you haven't figured it out, and she and K. were both wonderful! Liz was especially impressive given the fact that she's due any time now.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Congratulations!

Sounds like a daddy's boy!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 05-15-2007, 12:38 PM

WoW mama I really thank you for bringing light and process to a traumatic birth. You and your baby share the journey and I really believe he brought with him the lessons he needed in life. You were the vesel who will physically heal and a mother who will never be the same. I hope things get easier and painless soon. Take your time. Blessings

Kiya- Mama to 3 growing Son's. Waldorf joy.gifDoula  hug.gif  Making Recycled Woolens and Trainers every spare moment.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:47 PM

Congrats!! :
Old 05-15-2007, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother culture View Post
WoW mama I really thank you for bringing light and process to a traumatic birth. You and your baby share the journey and I really believe he brought with him the lessons he needed in life. You were the vesel who will physically heal and a mother who will never be the same. I hope things get easier and painless soon. Take your time. Blessings
It's funny, because I don't really think of it as being traumatic. I actually am a little embarrassed if it came across that way. I probably should have clarified that I wrote most of this the day after the birth, so it was all pretty fresh and raw.

I was talking to a friend today who is a doula and she was talking about soft births and rugged births. This was definitely a rugged birth, but he's a beautiful baby boy. He's perfect.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Liz made me a chlorophyll smoothie. Two actually. They were disgusting.

DH, of course, is seeing a sermon in it all--death and resurrection imagery, even Daniel's name is symbolic of how he came into the world. I told DH I would not be happy if my birth story shows up in a sermon, .
That made me laugh. My sister did the slide out.... suck back in thing on our mother. She did it 3 times and the OB my mom had got tired of it, and pulled her out the last time. YOUCH!

Quote:
That would have been Liam for us. Liam was a total daddy's boy when he was a baby. He wanted me for boob and nothing more until he was about 6 months old.

Congrats AM. I'm so happy for you!

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:29 PM

wow what a story!!! you are a strong mamma! it sounds to me like you did awesome
Old 05-15-2007, 09:30 PM

Annette, you are a strong, powerful woman - you just proved that
Old 05-15-2007, 09:56 PM

Awesome story. It sounds like you did great. I had the lip at the end too and the MW used her hand inside during the contractions to pull it back over the baby's head too. It was AWFUL. But once that was done, he came out in just a few pushes. I had no idea how to push at first but once I figured it out, I remember thinking, 'This baby is going to come out in this push if it kills me!' and out he came.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
Old 05-16-2007, 10:50 AM

Annette - Thanks for shariing your birth story. It is a powerful story and you did an amazing job!!!
Old 05-21-2007, 02:55 PM

wow - I loved your story, thanks for posting...i recognize many aspects. those cervical lips are the worst. they keep you in a prolonged transition. you did great. hope you were able to get lots of rest and loving attention for the first two weeks postpartum.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:22 AM

Congrats on the birth of your son Daniel. I : his name. Enjoy your babymoon with him.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif

User Tag List