Do you sleep with baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2007, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you sleep with your baby? If so, how do you do it? I side-car'd a crib to our bed but Logan doesn't like laying in it at all - so he's been sleeping beside me in bed.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2007, 02:29 PM

Katelyn sleeps right up against me. I don't think I'd be able to sleep without her next to me.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:47 PM

A sleeps in the bed with us. I wouldn't be able to sleep with him in a crib - I'd be laying awake all night worrying, or going in to check on him every 20 minutes!
Old 05-22-2007, 02:59 PM

When we first put him down he goes in the bassinet. When he wakes up for his first nite feeding he is with us the rest of the time! DH naps with him almost every day!

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
Old 05-22-2007, 03:05 PM

I sleep with Sophia - in the chair at night when I fall asleep feeding her!

DH is uncomfortable with co-sleeping as he worries about the baby since he won't be aware that she is in there and isn't used to it.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 05-22-2007, 03:44 PM

He sleeps in his snugglenest (middle of the bed co-sleeper) until his first feeding so I get a little deep sleep and then he sleeps sprawled out like a T on the middle of the bed. He mostly just wants to be really close to me at night to nurse so I feel special when he wriggles near just for love about once a week.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:47 PM

First half of the night--Ronan is between us and swaddled. After the 3-4am feeding, I tuck a receiving blanket around his lower half so that he can roll to the side if he wants.

If I don't swaddle him, he scoots over to cuddle against me.

That was fine until I reverted to my somnolent practice of throwing sheets over my head.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:01 PM

yup Caroline sleeps right with me i couldn't do it any other way! tho she won't nurse laying down!! i am up with her in a rocking chair every few hours at night.. tho last night she actually did one feed laying down!!

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
Old 05-22-2007, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nope...if a baby is in bed with me I don't sleep. The first few nights the baby usually ends up in bed with us for half the night, and I am soooo exhausted I do get rest, but after about the first week I don't sleep. He is in a cradle in the adjoining room to our master. After feeding he has been going back to sleep so well. It has been much easier than my dd who wanted to party after each feeding (she was in bed with me for 6 weeks, poor dh slept in another room so that I could have her on half the bed and actually get sleep.) I do LOVE to snuggle and nap with my babies, it is such a sweet special time!!!

Marci

knit.gif

Married to my best friend, homeschooling, gardening,

running a camp for at-risk kiddos and walking a narrow path.

Mom to an amazingly fun crew of 5!

hearts.gifafro.jpg  wave.gif   thumbsuck.gif     boc.gif 

Old 05-22-2007, 05:10 PM

both zenon and kaylo sleep right next to me... dh is in kaylo's bed next to us

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
Old 05-22-2007, 05:52 PM

Yes, Ashton sleeps in the bed with us. He has been since he was born even in the hospital. I figured if they came in and said something about him being in bed with me, I'd tell them he was nursing.

Actually the first night I tried putting him in the bassinet right next to the bed but that was a PITA and I didn't sleep much so I decided he needed to be right next to me and I (and him as well) have slept much better since. Sometimes Peanut comes and joins us in the middle of the night. I don't know how we would all 4 fit if we didn't have a king bed.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:37 PM

DS starts out the night in his co-sleeper, but after 3 hours he wakes to nurse and I just bring him in the bed with me so I can nurse him lying down so I don't have to fully wake up.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:47 PM

During the day DS sleeps with my in ther recliner - and yesterday we nursed up!side-lying in bed and we both fell asleep - he was still latched when I woke up, even on my sore nipple - so that was great!!!

At night he sleeps in a crib that is right next to my side of the bed. We did not quite feel comfortable with co-sleeping...but I would never be able to sleep if he was in another room...I have to hear him breathing! He also doesn't mind his crib at all...he sleeps 3-5 hours usually (he only wakes up when he pees - sometimes I wake him up to eat).
Old 05-22-2007, 11:07 PM

Romi used to sleep between dh and I. Lately, she's been ok in her cosleeper by the bed. Dh sleeps so soundly that he'd throw blankets on top of her, so I rather she slept in her cosleeper than between us!!!

I normally feed her sitting up in bed (I get a better latch). At around 6am I feed her laying down though and then she stays between us till we wake up.

Oh, she stays swaddled all night.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:23 PM

belly to belly

we finally moved the cosleeper next to the bed yesterday but i have yet to put her in it...i just love having her close.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:00 AM

DS sleeps in the crook of my elbow all night. I love seeing him look up at me every night as he nurses to sleep.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:25 AM

Yes! DS sleeps belly to belly, he is just like a little heat seeking baby bunny. Sometimes I really miss DH and snuggling him at night, though. I'm sure I will miss him when it's time for his own bed, right?

Mama to DS 4.22.07 (ana to peanuts) and DD 10.7.09
Old 05-23-2007, 12:12 PM

We have a co sleeper that dh built. She usually sleeps there. I am just now getting used to having her in bed with me while nursing side lying.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
Old 05-23-2007, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Alden sleeps right beside my in the crook of my arm - his head kinda in my armpit. He cuddles right in and sleeps well. He wakes to feed a couple of times a night and I do it only half-awake. He has reflux and last night was refluxing every 2-4 minutes for 45 minutes or so, and so I have to be right there to clean him up (and me) and get him more vertical when he chokes and coughs. The early morning is the worst. The first half of the night he is ok. If he were in a crib I would be going insane with worry and inability to get there fast enough to clean off his face and nose (babies vomiting through their nose is the saddest thing!)

He sleeps 20-30 minutes a day in some device like a swing or bouncy seat, and the rest of the time in my arms or in a sling/carrier. Right now he is in bed with Daddy, sleeping where I nursed him down. I got breakfast!
Old 05-23-2007, 01:03 PM

Fish sleeps in the co-sleeper on my side of the bed - my husband has apnea and wears this bizarre Darth Vader-like mask and breathing machine to bed. I worry about the hoses and other things catching the baby's head, so it's easier on me to have her in the co-sleeper.
My husband has a trial this week (he's an attorney), so he's sleeping on the futon in the basement in order to get better rested. If he sleeps in the bedroom, he wakes up when I feed her, so a solid night's sleep required relocation for him!
Old 05-23-2007, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkwyrm
Fish sleeps in the co-sleeper on my side of the bed - my husband has apnea and wears this bizarre Darth Vader-like mask and breathing machine to bed. I worry about the hoses and other things catching the baby's head, so it's easier on me to have her in the co-sleeper.
My husband has a trial this week (he's an attorney), so he's sleeping on the futon in the basement in order to get better rested. If he sleeps in the bedroom, he wakes up when I feed her, so a solid night's sleep required relocation for him!
My DH wears a CPAP mask too. It is funny you said 'Darth Vader-like mask' because the first night he wore it, I was giggling at him telling him he sounded like Darth Vader. He didn't appreciate my laughter but I couldn't help it. We have a king size bed so his tubes keep him well situated on his side of the bed. If I put Logan between us I at least know that DH can't roll too close to him because he is tethered to his machine and can't.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
Old 05-23-2007, 05:33 PM

Dh sleeps downstairs w ds1 and I sleep in our bed w Noah. He sleeps 4-5 straight in the middle of the bed, not touching me and I sleep deeply. Then I nurse sitting up at 2 and 4 and lying down the rest of the night. If we have a bad night and i am really tired I take Noah down to Dh and he gives him a bottle at 7 or so and brings him to me at 9. Don't nights seem to last forever! Oh and I read during feeding-The Thorn Birds-and I love it so much that sometimes I will stay up reading for a whole hour after ds falls asleep. Then I am soo tired in the am I could kick myself!
Old 05-24-2007, 02:15 PM

I usually sleep in our recliner w/ DD tummy-to-tummy on my chest. I feel like I get more sleep this way because she is very cranky in the evenings and needs to cluster-feed from like 8pm-2am. :

I do nurse her lying down sometimes, but it's hard for me to relax and sleep well because I'm paranoid that my boob will smother her. I know this is probably very unlikely, as I think she is strong enough to move her face away......but when I am nursing her in the side-lying position, my boob covers her nostrils if I don't hold it back for her. Anyone else have that problem?? (and I don't even have big boobs! )

Sometimes, we move from the recliner to the bed during the night, but she still sleeps on my chest. DH flails around a lot in his sleep and I'm afraid he will wack her w/ his elbow or something if I let her sleep between us. :
Old 05-24-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewpie-o View Post
I do nurse her lying down sometimes, but it's hard for me to relax and sleep well because I'm paranoid that my boob will smother her. I know this is probably very unlikely, as I think she is strong enough to move her face away......but when I am nursing her in the side-lying position, my boob covers her nostrils if I don't hold it back for her. Anyone else have that problem?? (and I don't even have big boobs! )
I have big boobs and feel the need to hold my boob away from his nostrils in pretty much all positions One thing I figured out with lying down nursing is that if I scoot him up a little (towards the head of the bed) then my boob has to stretch upwards so it doesn't get near his nose. Okay, that sounds really weird and might only work for big guns that can stretch.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:27 PM

Yep, baby sleeps with me. Although, I usually put him in the middle, toward the very top of the bed so I don't have to worry about him being too covered with blankets. Dh has been sleeping upstairs with the older Dc so that he can actually sleep. He says that he can sleep through the baby's crying, but not through all the other grunts and snorts that the baby makes.

We have a king-size bed, and I usually push the baby away from me so that I am not touching him. Otherwise, his every little movement keeps me from getting a deeper sleep. I find that this helps the baby sleep better as they get older, as well, because they've learned to sleep without needing to touch me constantly.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:04 PM

We sleep tummy to tummy too. I have slept this way with my babies for the last 20 years. It will be so weird when I don't have a baby in bed anymore.

My dh also wears a C-PAP, and yes, he sounds like Darth Vader. :

For you moms wanting to keep baby's nostrils clear.....after you have him/her latched on, try pulling their feet in towards you, even if they are already as close as you think they can get. It causes their head to tilt backwards just a bit, and that makes their noses point slightly upward. It makes sense once you do it.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenitii View Post
My DH wears a CPAP mask too. It is funny you said 'Darth Vader-like mask' because the first night he wore it, I was giggling at him telling him he sounded like Darth Vader. He didn't appreciate my laughter but I couldn't help it. We have a king size bed so his tubes keep him well situated on his side of the bed. If I put Logan between us I at least know that DH can't roll too close to him because he is tethered to his machine and can't.
Our bed is a queen - nothing bigger will fit in the room (house built in 1910, when they had smaller beds, I guess!), otherwise I'd have a king. We'd probably have Fish in the bed, in a king, but the queen is just big enough for two adults. He used to sleep like a rock, but now he twitches and rolls over with every little burble or squeak out of her.
I told him, when he got the mask, that I'd always preferred Darth Vader to Luke anyway.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
We sleep tummy to tummy too. I have slept this way with my babies for the last 20 years. It will be so weird when I don't have a baby in bed anymore.

My dh also wears a C-PAP, and yes, he sounds like Darth Vader. :

For you moms wanting to keep baby's nostrils clear.....after you have him/her latched on, try pulling their feet in towards you, even if they are already as close as you think they can get. It causes their head to tilt backwards just a bit, and that makes their noses point slightly upward. It makes sense once you do it.
When do your babies move from your tummy onto the bed? Since this is my first, I am clueless...I was thinking to myself the other day, "What if she wants to sleep on my tummy forever?" I don't think I would enjoy a big 30 lb toddler laying on top of me all night.....but then again, I never thought I'd consider 3 hours of sleep to be a full night's rest! I guess with mommyhood, anything goes!

And thanks for the tip on the side-lying....I will definitely try that!
Old 05-25-2007, 04:13 PM

I wouldn't have it any other way. My 3 1/2 yo finally graduated to sleeping with daddy in a separate bed. She really doesn't care as long as she's not alone. DH and I haven't slept in the same bed since she was under 1 yo. My 18 month old prefers to sleep with me, but will sleep with whoever as long as he's not alone. Now, that leaves me the room and such to sleep with the newborn. We have a sectional and we sleep on the wedge which is the biggest part of the couch. I sleep on the outside and he sleeps on the inside on the much flattened boppie pillow. He does however also sleep next to me in the bouncey seat and swing.That's when I need more room.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:02 AM

We co-sleep here too! We didn't with DS as we only had a queen bed and he was a grunter. I'm a light sleeper so he constantly woke me up and I didn't get any rest. Meah is a much better sleeper and we now have a kind size bed which gives us lots of room!

User Tag List