No more split MMR?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-19-2008, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At my dd's well baby visit yesterday, her doctor said that Merck told them that they will no longer be manufacturing the separate measles, mumps and rubella vaccines. They've been told that what the practice currently has in inventory is it--they won't be getting any more shipments.

Anyone have any more info on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2008, 03:56 PM

The information I read a couple weeks ago (on msnbc...although the title of the article made one think they would no longer be available at all) is that is only the case for this year. The seperate components will be available sometime mid to late 2009.

A, WOHM hoping to be a SAHM married to E (7/7/01), mama to R :: (2/8/08) : : hopeful for ::
Old 12-19-2008, 09:29 PM

The manufacturer's current availability chart does not list an anticipated return date so I'm not sure what they're doing. But at least for now it's not available to order.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1008234
Old 12-19-2008, 10:06 PM

As more and more parents are requesting monovalent shots, I wonder what their reasoning is to not go along with the market and demand for the split shots? I think if they keep up making it "MMR or nothing", the uptake of the MMR will dramatically drop. There are just too many families that are wary of that vaccine and will opt to skip it if it's not available as the monovalent vaccines.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidspiration View Post
As more and more parents are requesting monovalent shots, I wonder what their reasoning is to not go along with the market and demand for the split shots? I think if they keep up making it "MMR or nothing", the uptake of the MMR will dramatically drop. There are just too many families that are wary of that vaccine and will opt to skip it if it's not available as the monovalent vaccines.
Yup, as is happening in the UK.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
Old 12-29-2008, 05:00 PM

I just received the Rubella and Measles in the mail earlier this month from Wellness Pharmacy. They said that the Mumps would be back in stock in early 2009.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:23 PM

Hopewell had Measles in stock a few weeks ago. My Pedi's office has measles, we were supposed to go today but got snowed in..
My Dr won't store rubella, or I'd get that from a pharmacy near me that has it.. and she said she would not administer it if it was stored.. so we are just getting the measles and will cross the rubella bridge when we get there.. in 3 years or so..mumps too. I hope by then, they'll be available again
Old 01-05-2009, 08:50 PM

can anyone confirm 100% if merck was continuing separate shots? and do you end up getting more bad things by doing the separate shots since you have to have 3? thanks
Old 01-06-2009, 01:41 AM

http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/p...erckcombo.html

I need some help with our options. DD is due for her 15 month visit Thursday. Originally, our Ped was going to do the sep MMR for us. He says he gets them in batches & if he was out, we could wait till he had them in again the following month or so. And I also mentioned the Hopewell, NJ pharmacy carrying them as an option.

But since her last appt, we have decided we want to delay the MMR completely. I was in the process of researching here & just picked up the Stephanie Cave book as well when the Merck news hit.

My question is, and it may sound stupid, but if I could somehow get all the sep. doses now, could I wait 2 years before actually using them? I have a lot to catch up on in terms of MMR & I already decided we aren't doing anything this week until I figure out how to proceed. But the one thing I knew for sure that we wanted was to keep this one separate.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 01:56 AM

Is it possible to get vaccines from other countries? I know that Japan's immunization plan does not include MMR, but separates Measles out.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellairiesmom View Post
http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/p...erckcombo.html
My question is, and it may sound stupid, but if I could somehow get all the sep. doses now, could I wait 2 years before actually using them?
I'm afraid not. The one I got said it expired in 18 months, and I've heard 12 months in other places. That might be better than nothing, but not two years.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:56 AM

This might be a silly question, but I thought the multiple shots of MMR were given to yield a higher percentage of succesfull vaccinations. Meaning with the first shot 85% are immunized, with the second a couple percent more and with the third a even higher rate is reached. That would also mean, that most people do not need 3 shots, but only 1, to be immunized. At least, that's what I learned sometime ago, maybe things have changed?
Old 01-08-2009, 05:55 PM

Hmm, I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, Merilin.

I have heard that with the MMR, 95% of kids vaccinated become immune. They do a booster shot a few years later to get some of the kids who didn't become immune with the first shot. (95% chance of immunity is good enough for me.) They don't usually do a third dose of MMR, around here at least.

But that doesn't have anything to do with splitting up the MMR. When we talk about splitting it up, we mean splitting it into its component parts - one shot for measles, one for mumps, and one for rubella. That way we can space out the shots so there isn't exposure to all three viruses at the same time, and some of us will just do one or two of the components - just the measles, etc. I would assume that the first dose of the measles-only vaccine would give a similar chance at immunity, about 95% (but I haven't found statistics anywhere to be sure). So, if you got the measles-only shot, a doctor would still tell you that you needed a second dose to maximize your chances of becoming immune.

Did that clarify anything? Or did I miss the point completely?
Old 01-11-2009, 01:33 AM

yes, the mmr is only given twice because MEASLES only doesnt give immunity to around 5% of the population, so instead of testing childrens titers to see if they are one of the few that didnt get immunity, they just give everyone two shots. but how ironic is it, that rubella and mumps are always just one dose, so you are getting TWO measles, two mumps, and two rubella doses(if you get the mmr) on the chance you may be one of the 5% who didnt get immunity for measles. seems like an awful lot of unneeded exposure for such a slight chance for just one disease.

the only thing im confused on is if you get one mmr, then have your titers tested, and you did in fact need another dose of measles, can you just get a single measles shot, or do you need to get another mmr. im not sure if you can mix them, kwim?
Old 01-11-2009, 03:55 AM

yes, the mmr is only given twice because MEASLES only doesnt give immunity to around 5% of the population, so instead of testing childrens titers to see if they are one of the few that didnt get immunity, they just give everyone two shots. but how ironic is it, that rubella and mumps are always just one dose, so you are getting TWO measles, two mumps, and two rubella doses(if you get the mmr) on the chance you may be one of the 5% who didnt get immunity for measles. seems like an awful lot of unneeded exposure for such a slight chance for just one disease when they could test people for it.

the only thing im confused on is if you get one mmr, then have your titers tested, and you did in fact need another dose of measles, can you just get a single measles shot, or do you need to get another mmr. im not sure if you can mix them, kwim?
Old 01-12-2009, 11:31 PM

Some states allow a titers draw showing acceptable levels of antibodies to be used in place of M, M, R, and CP vaccinations for school attendance. If you live in one of those states, you could check titers after one MMR shot and possibly skip the other doses of MMR.

Many states only require one shot or mumps and rubella but require 2 shots of measles. You are right that there is a lot of extra vaccination going on for convenience or whatever.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:11 PM

We just learned that the Merck is ceasing production of the monovalent vaccines. Our pediatrician claims she just found out last week. Our problem is our girls received the Measles shot eleven days ago. They are going to be going to daycare in April, for which they'll need all three shots. The dr says wait a month and give them the MMR! That means they'll get a double dose of Measles - exactly the opposite of what we were trying to accomplish.

I checked with Wellness and Hopewell, no one has the mumps shot. Any advice on what we should do? Any idea where we may be able to find the vaccines? I want to try Canada but don't know where to start.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:38 PM

I'm Canadian, living in Florida, but will be going home soon. So I started looking into this after my friend told me this morning her ped said they can't get M-M-R separately anymore.

I called a pharmacy I know in Ontario - they told me they never order vaccines, that it's up to the health units to do so.

So I called the health unit, and got a lecture about why would I want to split them up. She told me in her 25 years of working there NO ONE had ever asked for separate vaccines. I do not believe that. All she would/could do was give me the phone number for the company that makes MMR, Merck Frost. I called them. They haven't made it separately since 1996.

So unless someone else supplies Canada with separate M M R shots, I don't know what I'm going to do if they're not available in Florida, or in Canada. Wait I guess.

If anyone has different info I'd love to hear it.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:26 AM

I don;t have to deal with this for a while (DS is too young yet) but my Dr told me that their hospital system here in Chicago (Advocate) is no longer providing the seperate vaccines either. So she told me to call around some of the other hospitals as the time gets closer to needing to do it. I hope it changes by the time we're ready.

Squishy Press: sustainably-made baby/toddler books. We create healthy books for hungry minds.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:45 PM

My pediatrician gave me a prescription for a Measles/Rubella shot because he was under the impression that this is how to split it up. However, we took it to CVS recently and were told we can't get it.... so not sure what the next step is. Ideally, I'd like to get my son vaccinated against the measles soon but if they are no longer splitting up I am not sure what to do. Any suggestions?
Old 01-21-2009, 04:50 PM

If you really want those shots and split up only, they have them in Europe. Sanofi Merieux makes them there.
If we ever vaccinate then measles only. We'd do that when we visit my family in Germany.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post
If you really want those shots and split up only, they have them in Europe. Sanofi Merieux makes them there.
If we ever vaccinate then measles only. We'd do that when we visit my family in Germany.
Can you buy them here in the US from this company I wonder?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:33 PM

I don't know... I know that there are some folks who are trying to buy the Japanese rubella vaccine as it's not cultured in aborted fetal cells. They had no luck so far (FDA restrictions, and it has to be cooled all the time, so quite some hurdles).
I'm not sure if Sanofi will continue the vaccine... The same forces are working against selective vaxxers in Europe

User Tag List