Taking Our Daughter to A Theme Park (International Travelers and Germs) - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you take your kids to places populated with international travelers such as airports and theme pa
yes, we cannot keep them in a bubble! 33 97.06%
yes, I do, but I worry. 0 0%
sometimes. 0 0%
no, I keep my kids away from those situations. 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-03-2009, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have chosen not to vaccinate our daughter who is six-months-old. Still, we want to take precautions to ensure her health. My sister is performing a concert at Disney next week and we were invited to go. I worry that with lots of germs and international travelers, she might contract a disease.

What do you think?
Do you take your kids to airports, theme parks, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-03-2009, 12:59 AM

Yes, we go to those places all the time and don't worry at all. I really, truly think you are over-worrying.
#3 of 12 Old 04-03-2009, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I think we are going to go but I know I will still be worried. Lots of germ wipes, lol.
#4 of 12 Old 04-03-2009, 01:54 AM

I mostly worry about my unvaccinated children hanging out with other unvaccinated children. (Kidding, kidding.)

Germs are everywhere. There are plenty of domestic germs in airports and other places that are just as bad as any international ones.

What disease are you worried that she would contract?

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#5 of 12 Old 04-03-2009, 02:15 AM

Yes, we do. We have taken them to Disneyland, Disneyworld, Puerta Nuevo, Tijuana, and even the play area at the mall.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#6 of 12 Old 05-24-2009, 08:02 AM

Our kids are 7 and 9, have never had a single vax, and while I did worry a little when my first was a baby, I haven't given 'germs' a second thought since then. We were going to be traveling to Africa as a family a while back, and even then I was still not worried, and wasn't going to vax for the trip, as the country we were going to had pretty good stats...

honestly I'd be more afraid of anti-bacterial wipes than the illnesses your dd might get...ya know, just to give you something new to worry about! soap and water is good, but anti-bac products are not my cup of tea... maybe bring cloth wipes with really diluted water/tea tree oil solution on them? or a ttoil spray that you can put on a cloth wipe? or just regular baby wipes if you want a quick clean up?

have fun!!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#7 of 12 Old 05-24-2009, 12:29 PM

While we do do some vaccinations because of international travel, if my only risk factor was 'going to Disney', we would not consider that a big thing.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#8 of 12 Old 05-25-2009, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Carrie, which vaccinations do you do and where do you travel, if you don't mind my asking?
#9 of 12 Old 05-25-2009, 10:32 AM

MMR for the measles and rubella-- although now we are seeing new studies on deaf from mumps being more common that was once thought, so we are comfortable that we got that one as well, though it wasn't really a reason we did/do that vaccine.

D portion of the DtaP for travel to endemic areas- we did the whole DTaP obviously- we wanted both D and P protection but the only reason for the D was travel really.

IPV- before DH changed jobs last month, we had planned to travel to India but now we are looking at South Africa in 2010 to catch some of the world cup. I am comfy with the IPV in south africa whereas in India I would have possibly thought about OPV depending on where we went-- though bangalore is not too risky.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#10 of 12 Old 05-25-2009, 12:22 PM

I'm more worried about avoiding antibacterial wipes and soap then avoiding public places. We don't let DS's unvaxed status stop us. He did pick up CP at 2 years old we don't know where so we are assuming some public place or a child at a playground. But it hasn't stopped us from going out. I hope he picks up a few more childhood illnesses.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#11 of 12 Old 05-25-2009, 03:34 PM
EVC

Well, as both my dh and dd were born outside the US, our apartment is an international environment And the majority of kids in her pre-school class have foreign born parents who take regular trips abroad to all parts of the world (Europe, India, China, Africa). My own dd's first transatlantic flight was at the age of 2 months. And we live in an area with a large immigrant population (if you didn't get that from her pre-school composition).

All of this is to say, no, we don't avoid places with a large foreign population. Not at all

My dd is 3.5 and unvax'ed.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#12 of 12 Old 05-31-2009, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

Myboysblue- avoid soap? Oh shit, something else I need to worry about. We have slowly been "de-toxing" our house, changing the cleaners we use, we finally found a good organic conditioner, all DD's stuff is natural (Earth Mama Angel Baby) but I have never really worried too much about soaps out and about. We have the tree-based hand sanitizer from target but I do use soap in public places. Ugh, should I start bringing my own?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page