Tetanus vs DTP - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-03-2009, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We haven't decided which, if any, vaccinations we will give our daughter who is 6-months-old. However, I think about her running around when she is older and I don't want to go to pieces with worry every time she scrapes her knee and gets dirt in it, so I am seriously considering getting a tetanus vaccine for her when she is one or two years old. I brought this up with my pediatrician and he said you cannot separate them, I have to get the DTP or or nothing. He said the singular tetanus shot is for 7 year olds. He said I could check with the health department.

For those who separate the multi shots, how do you get ahold of them and how expensive are they?

When should I probably get this vaccine?
#2 of 7 Old 04-03-2009, 01:09 AM

I was worried about tetanus too. But I actually had to come to terms with it *first* as I'm allergic/reactive to that vax and therefore don't feel comfortable giving it to my kids.

What I found with my research is that tetanus has ALWAYS been incredibly rare, especially in children.

-Angela
#3 of 7 Old 04-03-2009, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Wow. Possibly your allergy is fortuitous for your family.

Thanks for the reply. I worry because a lot of the research I have done is conflicting.

Love your signature!
#4 of 7 Old 04-03-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaRose0212 View Post

Thanks for the reply. I worry because a lot of the research I have done is conflicting.

Love your signature!
BellaRose,

What are the stats for your state (or country)?

Number of cases
Complications, if any
Deaths, if any

I always thought Tetanus was what the elderly, diabetic and farmers got...and they had trouble with it when they refused medical treatment or were already immunocompromised.

It'd have to be a pretty nasty, deep, nonbleeding, dirty cut to cultivate Tetanus. I bet a mama who is posting to learn more about her child's health wouldn't let such a cut fester in the first place.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#5 of 7 Old 04-03-2009, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

I live in the US and the stats from the 90s were less than 50 morbidity out of 560 cases nationwide. I am not sure of the stats for the state specifically.
I know that is ridiculously low but it seems everyone attributes that to vaccinations.
I think part of it was just the way I was raised. If ever anyone stepped on a nail it was cause for alarm and Tetanus was always mentioned.

Speaking of farmers, I have read that Tetanus actually has more to do with farm animal excretions than rust (I don't know where the rusty nail thing came from). My family owns horses and lots of other creatures so I guess that is where the worry came in.

I don't know, in all the research I have done, Tetanus and Polio just seemed to stand out as being actually vaccine preventable. We'll see.

That's a very valid point about letting it fester. I think it also has to be infected before Tetanus is a concern. Is this an old wives tale or is it true that infections can be spotted by a red line leading away from the cut (presumably in the blood stream)? I was taught to look out for that as a child.

Thanks.
#6 of 7 Old 04-03-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Love your signature!
My allergy was great for my family. It's what started me researching each and every disease and vax. The ones everyone seems to want most are pertussis and tetanus, and really, I didn't feel comfortable giving either to my kids (since both involve tetanus)

-Angela
#7 of 7 Old 04-03-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I don't know, in all the research I have done, Tetanus and Polio just seemed to stand out as being actually vaccine preventable. We'll see.
And along those lines, remember that the polio vax currently in use in the US is NOT the one credited with eliminating polio.

-Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page