No MMR and going to DisneyWorld--OK!?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-24-2009, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am new to the board but have been reading posts for a while We are traveling to DisneyWorld in 2 weeks with my DS (21 mos). He has not had any vaxs since 6 mos. So no MMR, I have been reading about the measles cases in MD, etc. Do you think I need to vax him before we go?? I REALLY don't want to, but I don't want him to get sick. Any advice, what would you do? I am so confused!!!
#2 of 11 Old 04-24-2009, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you feel the need to get the MMR to go out in public any other place??
The grocery store? Park? If you were going to the airport to pick up a friend or to fly smewhere yourself?

If the answer if no than you don't need the MMR just to go to Disneyworld. JMHO

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 11 Old 04-24-2009, 08:40 PM

Well...just on the fact alone that when you get the MMR, the child gets mild symptoms of each of the components over 3 weeks- you might not want to do it. Usually, they get a mild fever and feel really icky for a few days about 2 weeks after they get the shot, when the Measles part of the shot kicked in. That would basically mean he would feel sick about the time you are in Disneyworld. My first got the MMR at 3...and this is what I was told would happen, and it did- like clockwork. Wish now I had never done it!
#4 of 11 Old 04-24-2009, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help....advice. All this vax stuff is just so confusing and not sure what to do!!
#5 of 11 Old 04-24-2009, 11:02 PM

I took my mostly unvax'd ds to disneyworld when he was 15 months and we were just peachy No MMR here (and probably not ever although we may do mumps)

Go have fun and don't worry about random illnesses you may or may not get.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#6 of 11 Old 04-24-2009, 11:40 PM

Wow! We are going to DW in 2 weeks also! I am taking my 20 month old completely unvaxed child with us and we are flying...his first flight. I was nervous a little, but mostly about hib. I researched and feel better and I plan to take his clo, sa and I am still nursing him twice a day, so I feel better about that. ) Pretty cool we are going to be there at the same time.
#7 of 11 Old 04-25-2009, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

haha...that is funny we will be there at the same time!! Look for me at Disney...I will be the one with the gallon jug of hand sanitizer!!
#8 of 11 Old 04-25-2009, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

BTW...what are clo and sa?
#9 of 11 Old 04-25-2009, 10:14 AM

I did Disney World with a 26 month old in February. Completely unvaxxed. I thought a bit about it on the plane, but not when we got there. And I didn't need to. Honestly, you're better off worrying about things like stomach bugs at Disney World. I heard lots of stories about stomach bugs and never ever heard of anyone contracting measles, mumps or rubella there.

We used hand sanitizer too.

CLO= Cod Liver Oil (Carlson's lemon CLO for kids is amazing and what we use every day).

SA= Sodium Absorbate (Vitamin C)
#10 of 11 Old 04-25-2009, 01:35 PM

We attended a family reunion in Walt Disney World when DD was only 3 months old- completely unvaxed. I asked her pedi about it (who is pro delay/selective/non vax) and he was ok with it. I think you should be fine.
#11 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help! I will bring along some clo and sa too What type/brand of Vit C do you use?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page