2 month shots...Rotavirus? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-13-2009, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is 8 weeks old. So far she has had Hep B shots #1 and 2 (didn't get SEARS book and start questioning this all until a few weeks ago!) and now we want to move to selective/delayed vax. I am concerned about pertussis, so I think we will give DtaP at 2 month. I also am planning on pc at 3 month because my 4 year old has a history of getting pneumonia (she's had it twice, was a preemie, lots of respiratory issues) and I don't want baby catching it if she gets it this year again...I am not giving HIB at all, delaying polio till older, and I'm thinking no on rotavirus too. It seems like a mostly mild disease and can be treated if more severe. I seem to recall every bout of dirrehea with DD#1 as the doctor saying it was probably rotavirus and she was vax'd! So I don't think this one is worth the side effect risk. Plus, I'd really prefer to only do one shot at a time. Thoughts on why you said yes or no to Rotavirus or any of the other 2 month shots?

Hey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2009, 02:52 AM

I'm going to *attempt* to quote Jim Carrey on why the rotavirus vaccine is unnecessary. For those who have access to clean water, it is very, very, VERY difficult to die of diarrhea.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
Old 05-13-2009, 03:06 AM

I just discussed the rotovirus with my doctor today, because I didn't remember my older three kids getting it. He said that's because he doesn't give...I thought...okay, good, cause I was going to decline it anyway (for number four)...
Old 05-13-2009, 03:26 AM

i am not getting it for my 2nd baby. i asked my mom about it and she said she remembered back when i was a kid that they didn't vax for it and a few kids would get it but it was basically just bad diarrhea and didn't even require going to the hospital. just the dr. office and drink lots of fluids to keep hydrated. she was shocked they had a vax for it now
Old 05-13-2009, 10:18 AM

Europe doesn't even do this vaccine. I think we are the guinea pigs for it in the US; don't let your child be a guinea pig!
Old 05-13-2009, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mamas! You're encouragement to decline the rota vax is just what I needed to feel like I was on solid ground with this one.

Hey
Old 05-13-2009, 11:57 AM

It's also a new vaccine. The old one was pulled due to complications.

-Angela
Old 05-13-2009, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by larkedyflarp View Post
Europe doesn't even do this vaccine. I think we are the guinea pigs for it in the US; don't let your child be a guinea pig!
Yup...thanks to Paul Offit

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:34 PM

my son had rotavirus 5 yrs ago. I don't recall there being a vax for it back then. Let me say OMG it was TERRIBLE! I have never smelled something SO horrid in my life! lol

Poop coming from every inch of his diaper, fever, lethargy. We were nursing, I think he was maybe 7 mos old? But when they are that sick, they sometimes don't want to eat. It's hard to keep a 7 mo old that is too sick to nurse, hydrated.

Its VERY contagious, so we ended up using disposable diapers so that we could just triple bag them and toss them outside in the garbage and get them out of the house.

With that said, we do plan on NOT getting the RV vax, but just keep in mind the grossness that you will ensue. It was just plain nasty!

Rhiana mom of 4
Emmaleigh Claire born 8-7-09 :
Old 05-13-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhianaW14 View Post
my son had rotavirus 5 yrs ago. I don't recall there being a vax for it back then. Let me say OMG it was TERRIBLE! I have never smelled something SO horrid in my life! lol

Poop coming from every inch of his diaper, fever, lethargy. We were nursing, I think he was maybe 7 mos old? But when they are that sick, they sometimes don't want to eat. It's hard to keep a 7 mo old that is too sick to nurse, hydrated.

Its VERY contagious, so we ended up using disposable diapers so that we could just triple bag them and toss them outside in the garbage and get them out of the house.

With that said, we do plan on NOT getting the RV vax, but just keep in mind the grossness that you will ensue. It was just plain nasty!

Just out of curiosity, do you know where he may have caught it from? Daycare, church nursery, etc? Just wondering how easy it might be to catch if baby stays home most of the time.

Also, I knew a baby (11 months) who caught roto the first week she started daycare, and she *was* vaccinated for it. (At least, her parents think it was roto...it was awful diarrhea, fever, and lethargy lasting for many days.) She was never tested for it, though; the ped said it couldn't be roto since she'd had the vaccine. Isn't rotavirus a live vaccine? I was wondering if she caught it from a recently vaccinated baby.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
Old 05-13-2009, 04:48 PM

Nope, I have NO clue. I stay at home! It couldve been something as simple as a shopping cart, kwim?

Rhiana mom of 4
Emmaleigh Claire born 8-7-09 :
Old 05-13-2009, 07:47 PM

We (the whole family -- me, DH, DD and DS) got what I assume to have been rotavirus a few months ago -- either that or really bad stomach flu? Vomiting and diarrhea for days on end (definitely over a week). My kids were 21 months old -- not in daycare or any other group childcare settings. We think we caught it from another kid in our swim class. It took a long time for me to get the smell out of our cloth diapers. But even with all that, I don't think I would vax for it. Yes it was inconvenient and not fun, especially when I was quite sick myself, but to me that's not worth risking a vax-reaction, plus it seems the vax is not all that effective. My kids were toddlers so I don't know if it's a lot worse in infants.

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007
Old 05-14-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:

Ditto! My son got it when he was 2 and 1/2 and was in daycare 2 days a week. He was sick for over a week with the above described diarrhea. It was horrible. The rest of the family didn't get it, but I was crazy with the handwashing and cleaning gel. I, too, though will not vax for this even given my experience with it.

My DD is also 8 weeks old (ours are 5 days apart!) and we just had her first shots. All she got was Hib and IPV. I follow a delayed schedule from another book I've read, and we will opt out altogether from HepB and varicella. Anyway, HTH.

married to the love of my life : and mamma to 3 amazing kids DS1 DS2 : and DD , ::
Old 05-14-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:

Thats how you know its Rotavirus, It's the SMELL! ughhhhh i cringe remembering it.. My ds had it back in Jan and he gave it to: My partner, my mom, stepdad and my sister.. I somehow managed to escape the horror! I have no idea how since trust me I was in contact with just about everyone's bodily fluids

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1325 View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you know where he may have caught it from? Daycare, church nursery, etc? Just wondering how easy it might be to catch if baby stays home most of the time.

Also, I knew a baby (11 months) who caught roto the first week she started daycare, and she *was* vaccinated for it. (At least, her parents think it was roto...it was awful diarrhea, fever, and lethargy lasting for many days.) She was never tested for it, though; the ped said it couldn't be roto since she'd had the vaccine. Isn't rotavirus a live vaccine? I was wondering if she caught it from a recently vaccinated baby.
I'm a WAHM (So we're home all the time) The only place we went all that week was to Target so the best i can figure is from the shopping cart.

Yes, It was HORRIBLE smelling and I felt so bad for my little one but he got over it and really it wasn't that big of a deal! We didn't vax for it and i never would. In fact my son's ped does not even offer it!

~Jaclyn~ Mama to Lucas Wyatt born 5-3-06
Old 06-16-2009, 05:26 AM

DS was a preemie and did get rotavirus at about 15 months and was hospitalized for fluids. Nothing too serious honestly..it was a bad experience, just because he couldn't keep anything in but the night in the hospital helped.

I would still skip even though I've gone the hospital route w/it.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

Old 06-17-2009, 05:36 PM

my ped does NOT offer rotovirus vax so we didn't get it

that said my friend's ds got rotovirus (his dad is in nursing school so that's probably how he got it) and had to go the emergency room for iv fluids, but was not admitted and was fine.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:03 AM

Having been through it with ds that's the only vax I would actually seriously consider. It lasted 9 days. My mom and her DH at the time had it too, but were over it in about 4. DS was 2 1/2, got it the Friday DH graduated college and had it through DH's first week of work. It was the worst thing illness wise our family has ever been through. The puking stopped after the 3rd day or so, but the other end? Horrible yellow stuff. He'd just stand there and cry as it exploded out his diaper and pooled on the floor. He lost 1 lb per day, so at 2 1/2 he lost 9 lbs and was back to his weight of a year previously (thankfully he'd just packed on a lot!). He should have been hospitalized but the np we saw at the office was new and didn't seem too sure of what she was doing. Somehow our 8 month old escaped it, as did the rest of the family. I seriously wondered if he would survive the illness on more than one occasion that week. It wasn't just gross it was terrifying and I've never seen a child so, so sick before. He didn't start eating again for another week and it took about 8 months for him to get back to his pre-illness weight.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:23 AM

We got it. DD had bad gas for about three or four hours starting two hours after she got vaccinated. I know several adults who've had it and they wish they could have gotten vaccinated.

It's not an extra poke, but frankly, she did not seem to care whether we were poking or feeding her a gross (compared to breast milk!) solution. She found both pretty horrible in the short term.

I am just hoping that someday she will appreciate that it was less gross than having miserable diarrhea, nausea etc. from 3 - 14 days.

It's like all the vaccines- depends on whether or not you believe they are lying about the possible side effects (most here do, I don't) or the likelihood of the illness (hard to calculate) or the severity of the illness (if we say it's miserable, it's scare tactics, right? and it's true that if you just breastfeed round-the-clock you won't DIE, but then, who wants to just not die?).

Meh, don't get it if you don't want to. You could always see how bad it is with this kid and if she really suffers horribly, get the vaccine for the next one, right?

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 06-18-2009, 09:58 AM

I agree with PP that sometimes I feel a sentiment that "death is so rare!!" and that kind of thing with certain diseases. But death isn't always the big thing on my mind.

Most people will get rotavirus in their lives, a very high percentage by age 5 I think it is but the severity will differ sometimes with no symptoms.

We got a double whammy of rota on an international trip a while back, both older DD and DS got it. Our trip was ruined; not only could we not visit the relatives we had gone to see because of the illness, the plane ride was a horror I cannot even bring myself to try and think about :

But back when we had the choice of the vaccine, it either wasn't made yet pr just released and had an FDA warning out. With youngest DD I still was not comfortable as there were two large studies awaiting results concerning safety. With both of those out now and both showing good results, I would feel more comfortable with the vaccine these days.

that said, and just to sound more confusing, I am not entirely sure I would even do this one given another chance.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
Old 06-18-2009, 01:18 PM

My son had the rotavirus vaccine without complications. He had food allergies that we were trying to sort out, so he already had constant bad diarrhea. If he had caught the rotavirus on top of the diarrhea he already had, he certainly would have been hospitalized. He was also FTT, and was underweight, so he had no extra weight to lose. I think that, because he was already so unhealthy, he probably would have been one of the very few babies in this country that could have died from the rotavirus. If I ever have a normal, healthy weight baby, I'm not sure if I'll give them the vaccine or not.

Wife to DH and Mommy to DS(2 yrs) : : : :
Old 06-18-2009, 08:15 PM

My daughter had a horrible reaction to the rotovirus vaccine.She had diarrhea horribly from it.She only got it once before i read up on it and she did not receive anymore.

User Tag List