School and Delayed/Selective - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 05-13-2009, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we're doing a sort of Dr. Sears schedule but skipping some and delaying others for extended periods of time (ie we're going to let dd decide if she wants to get the Hep B vaccine when she's in her preteens because it seems to be a more appropriate time to have it)

We live in Georgia and my plan was to always claim religious exemption so we never had to worry about matching the recommended schedule. I've read a few posts in this forum about religious exemptions not being honored if you've ever vacced. My question is how will they know that we've chosen to give some vaccines? My dd is 4.5 months old so school is a long ways away for us but just trying to plan ahead.

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

~Jess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 05-13-2009, 12:50 PM

in some states, if you claim religious, then you cannot have ANY vaccinations.

In IL it is complicated because the wording is so wishy washy. In one part of the legal papers it says "immunizing agents" - pluralized. Then in a diff. section in re: to schooling I believe it says "Immunization(s)". Our kids will be going to a private school, so I am interested to see how this will play out.

Rhiana mom of 4
Emmaleigh Claire born 8-7-09 :
#3 of 14 Old 05-13-2009, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ga laws: http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/sta...s/georgia.aspx

The deal with religiuous exemption is that once you declare one, you cannot go back and give more vaccines. However if you selectively vaccinated now and when it came time to enroll your LO in school and cliamed a religious exemptions you can do that as religious views can change at any time.

As for how would they know what you have given your child...If you are a part of the state's vaccine registry then the school will have access to this information. Most states give you an option to opt out. I did in my state. It's none of their business!

http://health.state.ga.us/programs/immunization/grits/

You CAN opt out in Georgia here is the form :http://health.state.ga.us/pdfs/forms/grits008.03.pdf

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 14 Old 05-19-2009, 11:51 PM

might not some people have religous objections to certain vaccine components and thus be fine with some vaccines (at least religiously speaking) but not others? it makes no sense to me that declaring a religion exemption means it must be from everything

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07
#5 of 14 Old 05-20-2009, 01:13 PM

We selectively vax. We live in IL.

We just have our ped write on the vaccination part of the form "Religious Exemption" or something like that, and then we attach our religious exemption letter to the medical form. We do not write down any of the vaccines the kids have had. We just pretend that they've had none. It's easier that way.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#6 of 14 Old 05-20-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzaluna View Post
might not some people have religous objections to certain vaccine components and thus be fine with some vaccines (at least religiously speaking) but not others? it makes no sense to me that declaring a religion exemption means it must be from everything
Most religious exemption laws say you must have a religious objection to the "practice" of vaccination.

-Angela
#7 of 14 Old 05-21-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzaluna View Post
check your state's specific exemption law. here in oregon, we can claim the exemption for one or more or all vaccines.

dd 10.06joy.gif
#8 of 14 Old 05-26-2009, 04:03 PM

In NC, you cannot selectively vax and claim a religious exemption. It is an all or nothing "against the practice of vaccination" issue. There is a vaccine registry that schools do use to check, and you do NOT have the right to opt out. Grrr....:
#9 of 14 Old 05-28-2009, 10:58 AM

We just moved to GA and my daughter is on the list for preschool this next year. We also have selectively vaxed and I added up all that she is missing and that will be required before she starts, and she will need 7 shots between now and 30 days into school. Some of which we never intended to give her at all.

That is A LOT of shots! A lot more than I want to give her, but I am thinking, since she is not in the system in Georgia, we should be good to go with the religious exemption since she is not in the GRITS system at all. (thanks so much for posting that link, I will certainly fill out the opt out form for my 5 month old and for my 4 year old (when we decide to vax her again which won't be until after she starts school .)) The GRITS system seems so wrong to me on so many levels, but that is for another thread.

It looks like your child will be registered in the Grits system by their doc as soon as you give them any vaccine.
#10 of 14 Old 05-28-2009, 09:44 PM

Many health and public organizations try to make people believe they have no option. Always check your state laws before giving in to the system!

In WA, we are lucky because we can choose exemption for religious, medical, or philosophical reasons. That includes selectively vaccinating.

I found a website that state ALL state offer exemptions. How true this is, I don't know but the site provides links to the states exemption forms and laws. Here is that link:
http://www.vaclib.org/exemption.htm

For those in GA, please check this site. There is even a Vaccination Liberation chapter in your state!

This site also includes links to forms, letters, affidavits, to protect your child from vaccinations and other treatments and state registrations.

Good Luck!
#11 of 14 Old 05-28-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FertileMertel View Post
Many health and public organizations try to make people believe they have no option. Always check your state laws

In WA, we are lucky because we can choose exemption for religious, medical, or philosophical reasons.

I found a website that state ALL state offer exemptions. How true this is, I don't know but the site provides links to the states exemption forms and laws. Here is that link:
http://www.vaclib.org/exemption.htm

Good Luck!
I think the OP was talking about not being able to opt out of the state registry (which is true in some states) not opt out of vaccination.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#12 of 14 Old 05-28-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
I think the OP was talking about not being able to opt out of the state registry (which is true in some states) not opt out of vaccination.
I was not posting in regards to the state registries, but if there is a site or organization that could provide guidance on how to do so, it would be the Vaccination Liberation Organization.

Many discussed selectively vaccinating, which is what I have chosen for my son as well. The link I have provided will help those understand their rights and options when/if their children are of school age.

This site also provides state specific forms for those who are planning a hospital birth but want to evade invasive routine post natal procedures such as a Hep B shot, vitamin K injection, newborn screening, or the application of silver nitrate in the newborn's eyes. A very specific birthing plan must be submitted to the hospital in advance of the birth. Hospital staff must be informed, in advance, of your needs, wants and desires where your baby and birthing experience are concerned. The same applies to midwives.
#13 of 14 Old 05-28-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FertileMertel View Post
I was not posting in regards to the state registries, but if there is a site or organization that could provide guidance on how to do so, it would be the Vaccination Liberation Organization.
I thought you were replying to this post ( I should have said PP rather than OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellermom View Post
In NC, you cannot selectively vax and claim a religious exemption. It is an all or nothing "against the practice of vaccination" issue. There is a vaccine registry that schools do use to check, and you do NOT have the right to opt out. Grrr....:
All states have Medical, religious and or philo exemptions (except WV and MS who only have medical).

Most states have registries and you can not opt out of some of them. The question is whether or not the schools will have access to them and will catch you if you claim an exemption and still do some vaccinations.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#14 of 14 Old 05-31-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellermom View Post

I'm in NC too, and this is the problem I'm having. The thing for you to do is check your state's immunization registry, see if you can opt out. If so, then you can claim the religious exemption and get whichever vaccines you want.

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page