Which vax did you skip - and why?? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 65 Old 07-01-2010, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, you are right, I should have said, 'rarely'. Careless typing when I'm in a hurry.

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#62 of 65 Old 07-01-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowqueen View Post
Which brand? I know there are 2 brands. The one that is recommended to not use is Rotarix. This is what I read:

The warning follows an academic research group's discovery -- subsequently confirmed by the FDA and Rotarix manufacturer GlaxoSmithKline -- that the vaccine contains a pig virus called porcine circovirus 1, or PCV1. The virus is not known to cause illness in humans, and no adverse effects have been observed in children vaccinated with Rotarix, but the agency decided to err on the side of caution with the warning until more information can be obtained. http://www.medpagetoday.com/Infectio...Vaccines/20595

And the CDC says vaccines are safe, ha!

Haven't heard anything bad about Rotateq though.
I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I don't know! DH and I had an appointment to talk about vaccines with our ped. two weeks ago, and she said rotavirus vax wasn't an option because it had been pulled. I would do more research, but since I didn't want it anyway, it just makes my decision easier!

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#63 of 65 Old 07-01-2010, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post
What do you mean by protection for shingles? The vax might lesson the chance of getting shingles.... but it still exposes you to virus and doesn't protect against getting shingles.
Besides, there's now a vax for shingles.... It used to be that 30 year olds (and children) rarely got shingles, but since the vax for chicken pox more and more younger people and children seem to be getting shingles.

Jessica
It did show a reduction in chances of getting shingles(or it is milder) according to the literature but I don't know how they would see this as it has not been around that long. I just went with it since it was spaced out anyway.

I mean I have friends in their 30's that had naturally gotten the chicken pox as a child are coming down with shingles quite bad cases too. These are people that never had the vax just naturally got them as a child. S o I do not know how one could relate or link them to the "newish" vax. Just a thought!

I do know they have a shingles vax now but from what I have read you have to be 50. Maybe that is wrong.

Melissa mama to Zoë 7/26/03
#64 of 65 Old 07-01-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoesmama View Post
I mean I have friends in their 30's that had naturally gotten the chicken pox as a child are coming down with shingles quite bad cases too. These are people that never had the vax just naturally got them as a child. S o I do not know how one could relate or link them to the "newish" vax. Just a thought!
Going out on a limb here... the chicken pox vax is a live virus, so there is likely some shedding involved... Maybe the shed virus is more likely to cause shingles, even in people who had childhood cp?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#65 of 65 Old 07-01-2010, 09:32 AM

I have been reading some studies are the varicella vaccination from back in the early 2000s that were attempting to predict the behavior of zoster based on vaccination for varicella. Many predicted a 50 year period that would demonstrate a mild increase in zoster. I think these studies seem to have been right so far

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page