Which vax did you skip - and why?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 07-12-2009, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rather than asking what you ARE getting, I would like to ask the opposite question. What are you NOT getting for your kids?

I'm new to this topic, and I read the sticky about everyone's "selective or delayed" schedules... but frankly it was totally overwhelming and a little hard to follow.

So - here I am trying to selectively vax a little late in the game.

DD is almost 2 and DS is almost 4. Both have been mostly vaxed until about a year ago. DD is breastfed, and would be EBF if she had her choice... by that I mean she prefers her milkies over everything and doesn't eat a ton of solids.

I am going to have to put them in daycare a couple days a week, and need to schedule a doc appt. I'm assuming the docs are going to want to "catch up" and so I need to be informed and confident in my decision about what we want and don't want.

Please send me your thoughts and ideas, thanks!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 65 Old 07-12-2009, 04:25 PM

In your shoes, signing up for daycare, I wouldn't catch up right now at all. I would submit an exemption and take some time and research each disease and vaccine individually.

-Angela
#3 of 65 Old 07-12-2009, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Ok - so which ones did you skip? I see in your other posts that you skip the new ones. So, besides Rotovirus, what else is new that you skipped for that reason?

thanks!
#4 of 65 Old 07-12-2009, 08:08 PM

We do:

DTaP: we do this early because we want the pertussis protection as soon as possible, as pertussis is most dangerous to infants. We also do it because we feel the disease is still risky in terms of prolonged illness, pneumonia, cracked ribs risk, etcetc even when the child is not an infant. The information and data out there tells me this vaccine is pretty effective- def not the MOST but still effective- at prevention and, when it fails, it can greatly reduce the symptoms and severity of a pertussis infection.

We also travel to endemic D areas, so my husband wanted that.

Hib: We originally did not do this vaccine at all as I had missed a few appointments and then hit my "stopping vaccination until I learn more" phase. I put it off and only ended up getting it when I had a child in a school situation and an infant at home. But now I get this one pretty much on time after learning more about how effective it is and how a lot of myths talked about online are not true-- example: people like to claim that the overall meningitis rate has risen since this vaccine when that is not true.

In addition, southeast Pa, where I live, recently had 7 hib cases, all in unvaccinated (and 1 kid had had 1 dose) and 3 died. Another suspected case was also a death. This solidified my decision.

MMR: We do this one but delay it a bit. Research shows that it is more effective if given later. We especially wanted the measles and rubella protection. We found it to be highly effective and also prevents transmission, so by getting the kids vaccinated I could also prevent the baby from contracting it.

I looked into the autism complaints and found them to be complete rubbish. For more information on why, just look at the transcripts from the omnibus autism trials-- everything is nicely laid out here:

http://neurodiversity.com/weblog/article/189/

IPV: travel reasoning, delayed a bit when we could except when travel was sooner

Considering but not there yet:

Prevnar (the new one): if all looks good, we might consider the new prevnar for any future kids or even youngest DD depending on when it comes out. I would want to know how it effects things such as drug resistant ear infections-- which the older prevnar seemed to create an increase in.

Hep A: endemic area travel-- mostly lean away from this one though because it's usually so mild in kids.

Skip:

Influenza

Rotavirus

Chicken Pox (will get later if no natural immunity)

Hep B (later since mostly blood/sex transmission and low risk in our family)

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#5 of 65 Old 07-13-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 View Post
Ok - so which ones did you skip? I see in your other posts that you skip the new ones. So, besides Rotovirus, what else is new that you skipped for that reason?

thanks!
On the new front, I ruled out all vaccines that were not on my childhood schedule- so that included- hep b, hep a, prevnar, hib, rotavirus and chickenpox. I researched each, but a lot of my thinking came down to- those weren't something we were scared of- has anything changed? And I didn't find that anything had.

-Angela
#6 of 65 Old 07-20-2009, 04:50 AM

the ones i will for sure skip are:

hep b - low risk of infection

chicken pox- i don't think it's that bog of a deal and i'd like to avoid postponing it until later, ds did get vaxed for this one and i totally regret it.

probably polio - really low risk of infection, i'd think about it if we lived near an immigrant population or traveled at all.

will probably get eventually

dtap- diptheria scares me a LOT and tetanus worries me too. pertussis, eh, not so much and i know that the vax doesn't promise that the disease will be all that much easier, the odds are that it will though.

mmr- i find measles concerning too. mumps and rubella not so much but i don't think the vax is all that awful. i will be waiting until my youngest is older, like 5 probably, just because.

eh. who needs a signature?
#7 of 65 Old 08-12-2009, 06:44 PM

this is a good thread...wonder if more moms will post their skips.?
#8 of 65 Old 09-29-2009, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
this is a good thread...wonder if more moms will post their skips.?
Me too! Help us out Mamas. :-)
#9 of 65 Old 09-29-2009, 05:54 PM

I was actually going to post this exact thread, so thanks!

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#10 of 65 Old 09-30-2009, 04:59 PM

I will post which ones I get:
1. DTap at 3 years (3 shots total with the last one after age four). My oldest has already had Pertussis w/in the past 5 years so she gets a pediatric td

2. Polio (3 shots total once DTaP is finished for the little one. My older child who just gets Td gets Polio and Td together.

3. MMR (I think they will need 2 shots total) will get after they are finished with the other two series) I haven't decided if I am going to do them separately or together yet. Probably together since my children will be older and heavier by the time this happens.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#11 of 65 Old 09-30-2009, 11:16 PM

I did a combined DTaP/Polio/Hib preservative free shot at 2, 4, and 6 months because we were doing some early international traveling.

I'll start Hep B around 9 months, and MMr around 18 months, then I'll be done.

So skipping:
Prevnar, chicken pox (if we can get it wild), rotovirus, influenza.

I based my decisions on the NYC school requirements and our own travel needs.
#12 of 65 Old 10-01-2009, 11:21 AM

We're skipping: Chicken pox, Hep B (will get when 10-12 years), roto, flu (I'm getting my seasonal flu shot, though), MMR (but not because of Autism, I am just not afraid of those illnesses.) HPV (depending on how it does in the meantime- I would get this one for her around 10-12 years too)

We are getting DTaP (one dose already) and HIB basically on schedule. One at a time, though, with a month between each dose. We will likely get the Polio vax when DD is older, eventhough her risk of getting it in the states is tiny. I have to assume that she will do some mission work (like I did around high school/college age) and there is still a risk in other countries. But there is no need to give it to her now when she is so little.

We are on the fence about Prevnar. My doc (who I trust and is pro-selective vax) recommends it but I am not sure. I guess because I don't really understand it... More research needed!

Newly Single-Mama. Raising homebirth baby, Josephine, July '09.

#13 of 65 Old 10-01-2009, 01:24 PM

We're skipping:

Flu (I don't feel the shot is effective enough and the flu is generally not severe in healthy people)

Chicken pox (Made with aborted fetal cells, plus I'd rather have him get natural immunity since again, the illness isn't that severe)

Rubella (Same reasons as chicken pox)

Hep A (Made with aborted fetal cells & not high risk)

Rotavirus (Just seems like yet another unnecessary shot to me)

Prevnar (Too new, not well studied, seems ineffective & contributes to "superbug")

We haven't done these yet & I'm on the fence on them:

Hib (I never heard of this before having a kid, I don't like the idea of bacterial vaccines, but I think it's one our new pedi recommends so we need to discuss/research a little more)

Heb B (Not high risk but we have no other "real" reason to avoid it, we may do it down the line)

Measles, Mumps (Will consider these if the separate shots do in fact become available in 2011)

We are doing dTap, not sure if we'll continue the series, and we might do polio though I'm really not sure at this point

Not sure if that covers all the vaxes or if I forgot some...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#14 of 65 Old 10-02-2009, 12:07 AM

Next time, we'll skip flu (and most likely swine flu), hep B and A, chicken pox, and rotavirus. Oh, and HPV, I guess, I don't even think about that one when I think about vaccines.

We might skip prevnar and Hib entirely - at most we might get one dose.

We'll probably do at most three DTaPs, and probably delay them, maybe skip the pertussis portion entirely if there is a good DT available.

One dose max of MMR, split up if possible, and delayed by several years.

We'll do polio eventually, but there's no hurry unless we go out of the country, and I would have to look into the number of doses.
#15 of 65 Old 10-04-2009, 04:09 PM

DS is 14 months. He's had 3 HIB and 3 DTaP and 1 Polio so far. This year (i.e. before he's 2) we will do one more HIB and the rest of the Polio series.
Probably will do MMR at 2 years.

We skipped rotavirus. We've decided, after much back & forth and researching, to skip the Prevnar (7) ...may consider the new one. This is the one the doc keeps pushing on us and I'm not looking forward to saying that we've decided to not get it. Skipping Hep A.

Want to skip Hep B and Chicken pox, but they are required for school in my state and we're in that precarious position where a school can access our vax records, so if we claim an exemption we're in a tough spot if we decide later on to get another vax. Skipping Flu, too.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#16 of 65 Old 10-05-2009, 02:03 AM

I remembered this thread after posting in another-- I think we will now be doing Hep B as the situation has changed in DH's family so we now feel that it would be prudent to get earlier.

I still waiver on chicken pox because of the whole shingles thing...

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#17 of 65 Old 10-07-2009, 07:27 AM

If they were both vaxed until 1 yr ago, they really shouldn't need much of anything. Your 4 yr old would probably "need" DTaP, IPV, MMR, Chicken pox, and those can be given any time between 4 and whenever. So, I'd research and decide which of those you'd want and when/how you'd be comfortable with getting them. The 2 yr old probably "needs" DTaP, Prevnar and/or HiB, and I'd probably do the Prevnar and HiB.
#18 of 65 Old 10-07-2009, 08:14 AM

great thread. :
#19 of 65 Old 10-08-2009, 12:08 PM

I agree

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif
#20 of 65 Old 10-08-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
We do:

DTaP: we do this early because we want the pertussis protection as soon as possible, as pertussis is most dangerous to infants. We also do it because we feel the disease is still risky in terms of prolonged illness, pneumonia, cracked ribs risk, etcetc even when the child is not an infant. The information and data out there tells me this vaccine is pretty effective- def not the MOST but still effective- at prevention and, when it fails, it can greatly reduce the symptoms and severity of a pertussis infection.

We also travel to endemic D areas, so my husband wanted that.

Hib: We originally did not do this vaccine at all as I had missed a few appointments and then hit my "stopping vaccination until I learn more" phase. I put it off and only ended up getting it when I had a child in a school situation and an infant at home. But now I get this one pretty much on time after learning more about how effective it is and how a lot of myths talked about online are not true-- example: people like to claim that the overall meningitis rate has risen since this vaccine when that is not true.

In addition, southeast Pa, where I live, recently had 7 hib cases, all in unvaccinated (and 1 kid had had 1 dose) and 3 died. Another suspected case was also a death. This solidified my decision.

MMR: We do this one but delay it a bit. Research shows that it is more effective if given later. We especially wanted the measles and rubella protection. We found it to be highly effective and also prevents transmission, so by getting the kids vaccinated I could also prevent the baby from contracting it.

I looked into the autism complaints and found them to be complete rubbish. For more information on why, just look at the transcripts from the omnibus autism trials-- everything is nicely laid out here:

http://neurodiversity.com/weblog/article/189/

IPV: travel reasoning, delayed a bit when we could except when travel was sooner

Considering but not there yet:

Prevnar (the new one): if all looks good, we might consider the new prevnar for any future kids or even youngest DD depending on when it comes out. I would want to know how it effects things such as drug resistant ear infections-- which the older prevnar seemed to create an increase in.

Hep A: endemic area travel-- mostly lean away from this one though because it's usually so mild in kids.

Skip:

Influenza

Rotavirus

Chicken Pox (will get later if no natural immunity)

Hep B (later since mostly blood/sex transmission and low risk in our family)
I don't want to make this thread about autism but I just had to point out that the studies that you linked to looked into whether mmr or thimerosal has anything to do with autism. Not whether or not the vaccine program itself has a connection to autism. In these studies they tested vaccinated kids against vaccinated kids. There has yet to be a study which compares vaccinated kids to unvaccinated kids so we can't know anything for sure.

I have boys! My first baby boy was born 10/08 and my second baby boy was born 7/12

#21 of 65 Old 10-08-2009, 07:15 PM

Just curious, but why are you skipping rotavirus? Our ped is pushing that one for my 4 mo Ds b/c his sisters are in school and she says they could bring it home. Also, rotavirus is administered orally isn't it? I haven't decided yet, so I'm really curious to see your reasoning against this one.

Also, I was considering Pc to protect my Ds from bacterial pneumonia, which can be a complication of flu. What do you mommas think?

grouphug.gifPenny4them  
Blessed WAH wife and mama to my happy brood jumpers.gif Dd1(7/01) Dd2(10/02) Ds (6/09) CDing & ECing works! No Circ, Make it yourself or buy something Handmade! mdcblog5.gif 

#22 of 65 Old 10-08-2009, 07:24 PM

I crossed off rotavirus (one reason...) because it's a new vaccine. The *last* rotavirus vax was pulled from the market after too many dangerous side effects.

Rotavirus is not dangerous for children in the US. At most it's a nasty nuisance.

-Angela
#23 of 65 Old 10-08-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I crossed off rotavirus (one reason...) because it's a new vaccine. The *last* rotavirus vax was pulled from the market after too many dangerous side effects.

Rotavirus is not dangerous for children in the US. At most it's a nasty nuisance.

-Angela

Since we have access to clean water, as long as you keep your child hydrated (and get him/her IV fluids if necessary), rotavirus is yucky but not dangerous. I'd rather take my chances with maybe getting rotavirus than giving my child a live vaccine. In fact, DH, DD and I all had it about 3 years ago (when she was one). She had the most mild case of it, me the medium and DH the worst. But I loaded him up with homemade gatorade and other than him missing a day of work and feeling pretty crappy, it wasn't a big deal.

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.
#24 of 65 Old 10-10-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
I still waiver on chicken pox because of the whole shingles thing...
You might want to look into the shingles thing - I've heard kids are getting it younger and younger now that there's a vaccine. The vaccine doesn't prevent shingles - getting the vaccine OR getting chicken pox still means that you've been exposed to the chicken pox virus and can get shingles at some point. IIRC - I haven't looked at it in a while. Anyway, finding out about that might help with your decision.

Penny4Them, we also skipped rotavirus because it was new, and because we weren't worried about rotavirus. When my son was 11 months or so, he (and everyone else) ended up getting what we think was a noravirus (like a rotavirus with the vomiting and diarrhea, but not prevented by any vaccine), and it was no fun, but not the sort of thing I'd consider serious enough to merit a vaccine.
#25 of 65 Old 10-14-2009, 05:38 PM

I do want to chime in on the rotavirus vaccine. I am a pediatric nurse, and I have seen a lot of little ones require hospitalization for rotavirus. It can cause severe dehydration, require IV fluids. Starting an IV can be difficult and very painful in a dehydrated babe. Also I have seen little butts red, raw and bleeding from the relentless, nonstop liquid diarrea. So for me, this was a no-brainer. Rotavirus is very common. Not deadly in this country because we do have the treatment readily available, but for me this is definitely worth it in order to avoid a potential hospital stay.
#26 of 65 Old 10-18-2009, 02:41 PM

It depends on your situation, quite frankly. We skipped rotavirus but if I had a baby in daycare I would definitely vax for rotavirus. I'm still researching flu vaxes, but again if Nora were in daycare, I would most likely get her vaxed for flu.
You have to weigh the odds and really think about what could happen "if".

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#27 of 65 Old 10-19-2009, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had also read that the risk of severe dehydration is in babies that are not being breastfed. If they get it, they breast feed a ton and avoid getting too dehydrated while the virus works its way through their system. So if you are breast feeding and the baby is not in daycare, they are not at high risk to get this or have the illness require a hospital stay.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#28 of 65 Old 10-23-2009, 10:53 PM

I second the rotavirus and breastfeeding. I think it makes a huge difference. DD had rotavirus, although her ped claimed it was norovirus. Whatever it was, she had diarrhea on and off for two weeks, breastfed a ton, and was fine.

DD hasn't had any vaccines yet. She is 2.5 and I think she will shortly get one dose of DTaP. I didn't consider anything until she was over two because she was fully breastfed and not around a lot of other children.

So the Prevnar and HIB after age two don't seem necessary to me. Polio only seems necessary if we travel internationally. The chickenpox vaccine is too scary for me to consider, plus I think chickenpox is just a childhood nuisance. I've never had the flu, obviously been exposed many times, and mistrust the flu vaccines because the viruses put in are a gamble. If the manufacturers guess wrong, you still compromise your immune system.

The Hep A, B, and HPV are definite no's. I think the HPV vaccine has had so many side effects, that it will have to be reformulated or taken off of the market fairly soon.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#29 of 65 Old 10-25-2009, 02:58 PM

I may be leaving a few off the list, but the ones we do NOT get are:
rotavirus
Hep A (unless for travel)
any flu
gardasil (haven't reached that age though)

ETA: I forgot Chicken Pox- my oldest two had a wild case already and hopefully so will my younger two.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#30 of 65 Old 10-25-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjonesmama View Post
I do want to chime in on the rotavirus vaccine. I am a pediatric nurse, and I have seen a lot of little ones require hospitalization for rotavirus. It can cause severe dehydration, require IV fluids. Starting an IV can be difficult and very painful in a dehydrated babe. Also I have seen little butts red, raw and bleeding from the relentless, nonstop liquid diarrea. So for me, this was a no-brainer. Rotavirus is very common. Not deadly in this country because we do have the treatment readily available, but for me this is definitely worth it in order to avoid a potential hospital stay.
Not all children are in high risk groups. I'd say babies who are 100% BF and do not attend daycare and have parents who practice good hygiene have little risk of getting rotavirus to the point of needing to be hospitalized.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page