Delayed vaccinations until 2 years old - Anyone else do this as well? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-16-2009, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have delayed all vaccinations for my son and plan on continuing to delay until he is at least 2 years old. I am going to get the bare minimum required for school entry into kindergarten and plan on spacing them out as much as possible.

I was wondering if anyone could provide their alternative schedule if they delayed shots until 2 years old.

There are only certain shots required for school enrollment where he is going to go and they are: DPT, Polio, MMR, Hep B (ridiculous!), and Chicken Pox (ridiculous!) I am only planning on getting these shots, but of course, they each require more than 1 dose for entry (except for chicken pox).

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-16-2009, 12:49 PM

If you are only getting them for school and not because you believe in them, why not file an exemption?

You can wait until your dc is older than 2 if you are only doing it for school entry.

If you seek out cp for your dc, then that is one less vax that you need to get.

ETA: This website says that most NJ private schools accept a religious exemption. If the one school you want doesn't, why not try another? Also, if you put off vaxing, it looks like there might be a philosophical exemption in NJ soon, though I don't think that the religious one is too hard to get. If you are opposed to vaxing, of course your God would tell you not to vax.
#3 of 6 Old 07-16-2009, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

I would say I am defintely starting to lean against wanting zero vaccines. I did research religious exemptions and I am so fearful that say I go without getting my son any vaccines, assuming that I would be able to get an approved religious exemption, and then for some reason, tehey deny it. Then what? I would have no vaccines and then he would not be able to go to school. That is my biggest fear (and I don't want to homeschool).

I am definitely going to look into other schools as well, but I'm pretty sure you have to go to the school in your district. I'm going to look at more private schools to see if there are any that don't require vaccines at all.

By the way, what does "cp" mean? Sorry, I am new and am trying to figure out all of the acronyms

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#4 of 6 Old 07-17-2009, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy F View Post
I would say I am defintely starting to lean against wanting zero vaccines. I did research religious exemptions and I am so fearful that say I go without getting my son any vaccines, assuming that I would be able to get an approved religious exemption, and then for some reason, tehey deny it. Then what? I would have no vaccines and then he would not be able to go to school. That is my biggest fear (and I don't want to homeschool).

I am definitely going to look into other schools as well, but I'm pretty sure you have to go to the school in your district. I'm going to look at more private schools to see if there are any that don't require vaccines at all.

By the way, what does "cp" mean? Sorry, I am new and am trying to figure out all of the acronyms
You only have to go to school in your district if you attend public school, and they have to except an exemption. If your LO is going to a private school, then you can seek out one that accepts them.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 6 Old 07-17-2009, 10:55 AM

cp, i think thats chicken pox. i think pp is saying, have your dc catch chicken pox, so he wont need that shot.

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

#6 of 6 Old 07-17-2009, 06:54 PM

We did the pentacel (what we get in Canada) two months delayed for all shots, and the Cs (influenza and pneumococcal) two months delayed. We are waiting for the MMR until 18-24 months. Up in the air about the cp; I had it and no biggie but I'd hate for my kid to pass it on to someone who dies from it (older or sick) so not sure what to do. 'Seeking it out' a solution I hadn't thought of! We also won't do hep B.

Good luck with your decision

My daughter's birth plan kicked my birth plan's ass.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page