one more question: dtap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-20-2009, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now I'm just considering giving my daughter dtap tomorrow. I would really like to wait it out, but she will more then likely be going to daycare in about another month and I'll probably be giving her formula part time. There have been a few cases of whooping cough in my county. Do you think I could hold off on it or is it pretty important that she gets it? I dont know what scares me more, the side affects or the disease :-(
#2 of 2 Old 08-21-2009, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It will all come down to how you see the risks and benefits. I can share our thoughts:

The vaccine is not perfect. These are some of the things we considered (concerning pertussis):

-the vaccine prevents or lessens symptoms in many cases--when it fails to prevent pertussis, it has been shown to lessen symptoms and severity

-there are three brands available in the USA, each has a different amount of aluminum and other ingredients people consider problematic

-it is questionable whether or not it can prevent transmission- there is conflicting evidence on both sides though I tend to see it as not preventing very much transmission these days

-pertussis can have serious side effects post 6 mnths such as cracked ribs and pneumonia as well as being a prolonged illness, which has its own possible effects on a child's well being

-immunity fades-- natural pertussis infection and the vaccine both do not last, although natural infection immunity lasts a bit longer than the vaccine

- The T portion has been shown to be effective.

-T is rare in children but it is more common in unvaccinated kids:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or.../full/109/1/e2

We wanted D for travel to endemic areas but it may not be a concern for those not doing travel like that.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page