Swelling with DTaP booster - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2009, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2yo just got his last DTaP shot yesterday. He has so far only gotten DTaP, Hib, and pneumococcal. Anyway, I never noticed a reaction in the past, and since I made the decision to go ahead and get the DTaP, I decided to let him get the last one while we were at the well visit.

This time he had a large, mosquito bite size bump the day of the shot. Today, the swelling got even worse, to maybe the diameter of a baseball. The doctor said to keep an eye on it, but that this was not uncommon and his undisturbed eating, sleeping, behavior, and breathing were signals that he was OK. From what I read online, this is normal for the later DTaP shots. There is no other swelling or rashes elsewhere on his body. He seems fine, but does say that it hurts.

I'm posting here b/c I'm still concerned and wondering if anyone here has any other info or links about this. Has anyone else had no reaction for earlier DTaP shots, only to get bad swelling with the later ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 01:37 AM

My daughter got her first Dtap at 2 months and her second around 3 years. When she got her second dtap, she had a crazy rash. I even took pictures of it. There was this huge red slightly raised circle around the injection site. If I remember correctly, that went away and then a new rash showed up that was a large ring around where the previous rash had been. It was strange and it took a while to clear up, but she was otherwise fine and other than feeling a bit sore, she had no other symptoms. Just keep an eye on it and call your doctor if there is anything that worries you.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:23 PM

my son reacted to his 3rd DTaP with the bruise and probably golf ball sized swelling. i was on the fence about him getting anymore DTaP, but he did, and he didn't have a reaction that time.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:39 PM

After having his 3rd DTaP vaccine (at age 3), my son woke up the next morning complaining of pain in the leg where he received the vaccine. He didn't act like it bothered him much, but later the daycare called and told me at times he couldn't even walk on it. It seemed to improve by the end of that day.

Hope your little guy is feeling better!

Me crochetsmilie.gif ife to DH geek.gif; Mommy to DS (5) biggrinbounce.gif , DS (4) jog.gif, and DD (2) diaper.gif, and DS (newborn) babyboy.gif.

User Tag List