Selective Vax and Exemption in PA - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone!

We live in PA where there is a religous exemption. My son is now 2 years old and we had origianlly planned on starting vaccines at this time. However, we wanted to do a selective/delayed schedule. I've heard that you can not do a selective schedule and still enroll your child in public school with an exemption. I'm told if you get one vaccine, then you must get them all. You can't claim that you have a religious issue with only certain vaccines. Can anyone tell me the accuracy of this statement? Is there a way to privately get vaccines without the school knowing so that you can still utilize the religious exemption?

Thanks in advance!
Holly
#2 of 10 Old 10-03-2009, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

#3 of 10 Old 10-05-2009, 06:08 PM

I'm in PA as well and from what I understand, you can vax with whatever vaxes you choose, than once you file the religious waiver you can't get any more vaxes done. I have to file one for DD next year since I won't be getting her the chicken pox vaccine or the Guardasil one later on, so that's it, she won't be able to be vaxed at all. Fine by me since she has already gotten the ones I wanted her to have.

Our only issue is finding a doctor willing to selectively vax. My ped practice will probably throw us out when I file the waiver, since they refused to delay any of DS's vaxes and stated "They don't do that anymore".

Loving WAHM/Student Mommy to DD (6.5) and DS (2.5)  

#4 of 10 Old 10-05-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootchsMom View Post
I'm in PA as well and from what I understand, you can vax with whatever vaxes you choose, than once you file the religious waiver you can't get any more vaxes done. I have to file one for DD next year since I won't be getting her the chicken pox vaccine or the Guardasil one later on, so that's it, she won't be able to be vaxed at all. Fine by me since she has already gotten the ones I wanted her to have.

Our only issue is finding a doctor willing to selectively vax. My ped practice will probably throw us out when I file the waiver, since they refused to delay any of DS's vaxes and stated "They don't do that anymore".
Were did you find this info?
Im in PA and hae a waiver for one of my older kids (who is mostly vaxed) because I didnt want to do a few of the remaining ones. I have a younger child though and will most likely file a waiver next year, but may be interested in giving a few vaxes (definitely not all of them). There has to be some way around that

(otherwise, "they" are forcing selective vax parents to not vax at all, or do all vaxes)
#5 of 10 Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdoptChina View Post
Were did you find this info?
Im in PA and hae a waiver for one of my older kids (who is mostly vaxed) because I didnt want to do a few of the remaining ones. I have a younger child though and will most likely file a waiver next year, but may be interested in giving a few vaxes (definitely not all of them). There has to be some way around that

(otherwise, "they" are forcing selective vax parents to not vax at all, or do all vaxes)
I've read it in several places, basically once you have filed the exemption form, that's it. Religious exemptions are an all or nothing thing because they are based on the belief of not injecting anything into the body, not just specific vaccines. I wish we had a philosophical exemption so we could pick and choose without having to feel like we're doing something wrong

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...5&highlight=pa

If you search here in the selective forum for "Pennsylvania" a few threads come up with some good info.

Loving WAHM/Student Mommy to DD (6.5) and DS (2.5)  

#6 of 10 Old 10-06-2009, 02:01 PM

hi, I just move from PA where my dd attented kindergarten with partial vaccines. I just sent in religious exemption and didn't tell them what shots she did have.

http://susanchegari.vibrantscents.com/

#7 of 10 Old 10-06-2009, 09:40 PM

Just make sure you are opted out of the state registry (if it's possible in your state) and get any shots done over the state line where they won't be reported to the registry.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#8 of 10 Old 10-07-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
Just make sure you are opted out of the state registry (if it's possible in your state) and get any shots done over the state line where they won't be reported to the registry.
You can't opt out in PA.
Never thought about getting shots done out of state....
#9 of 10 Old 10-07-2009, 12:10 AM

If the school accesses the registry..in some states they can...then your exemption is out the window.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#10 of 10 Old 10-08-2009, 08:11 PM

re. the PA religious exemption, I've been wondering what it means when it says (and this may not be the exact quote): "...a religious belief or a strong moral or ethical belief similar to a religious belief."

Is a moral or ethical belief different than a "philosophical belief"? In differentiating between a religious belief and something "similar to" one, to me it sounds like the latter doesn't have to be based in religion at all. But this is all legal-ese, right? What does it mean?

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page