Possibly moving out of the country, how should I vax my 2.5 y.o? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-15-2009, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just got news that we may be moving to Okinawa sometime next year. I'm waiting for it to be confirmed, of course, but since I told DH we were waiting for 2 years to start selectively vaxing, he's been emailing asking when we're starting. He's got a point, so now I get to decide what to get. What are the vax's that are important when going outside of the US? I know we'll be getting the Polio vax, I would love to get the MMR if we could get it separately and one at a time, but we can't so I'm not sure what I'm going to do there. DTaP, and I'm not sure what else. Opinions?

Aileen, Mama to Hannah James, 4/01/07 Smartest kid I've ever known! And Gabriel Joseph, born at home 3-31-10!! Delaying and selectively vax'ing
#2 of 7 Old 12-18-2009, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I guess the best bet would be to look at the schedule for Japan and also look into disease outbreaks there and make your decision from that point. I think the WHO site has that info posted.

Found this link:

http://www.who.int/immunization_moni...cfm?C='jpn'

You can also look at reported cases of illness etc. There's a number of mumps and measles in 2008.

With their vax schedule, they do not appear to routinely do the mumps vaccine. Nor any of the meningitis vaccines (from what I can see on the WHO site). They include Japanese encephalitis and BCG, which are not done in the US. It also says they use the OPV...interesting.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#3 of 7 Old 12-21-2009, 12:46 AM

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat, momma! We are also in Japan....but Yokosuka. But do have friends in Oki.

*Momma to a spunky 11 year old & diva 9 year old
*Proud wife of "The Rock"
#4 of 7 Old 12-27-2009, 09:47 AM

There are definitely different risks in different countries; for example, I would feel MMR is definitely something I would not delay in Japan while I might feel a bit more comfortable delaying it in the USA.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#5 of 7 Old 12-27-2009, 10:38 AM

You might look at Hepatitis B. It's very prevalent in Asia in general, although for some reason I think Japan doesn't have such high rates of infection. It's still transmitted child to child in many parts of Asia, although I don't think you or your kids would really be exposed to that if you are on a military base or in Westernized areas most of the time. But it's something that may be worth researching more.
#6 of 7 Old 12-28-2009, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, ladies. Unfortunately, we've been told that we are staying in the U.S., just moving to Memphis. Kind of a letdown from being offered an overseas position, but a bit easier on our vax schedule at least. Now, I just have to find a doc who has the MMR vax separated, and we'll be able to start vaxing.

Aileen, Mama to Hannah James, 4/01/07 Smartest kid I've ever known! And Gabriel Joseph, born at home 3-31-10!! Delaying and selectively vax'ing
#7 of 7 Old 12-28-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AileenM View Post
Now, I just have to find a doc who has the MMR vax separated, and we'll be able to start vaxing.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...1&postcount=12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page