DTaP on it's own?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I am new here and this is a wonderful and informative site. A quick question. I have 2 DDs and they are 1 month old. I am trying to put a vaccine schedule together and I am finding that doctors to not have the DTaP by itself but in the pediarix shot. I don;t want to have them get the 5 in 1. Has anyone been able to find the DTaP or are they not giving just that shot anymore?? I would like to get D, T and P all split up, but good luck on that.

Any advice it is killing me.

thanks
#2 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ask them to order Adacel Boostrix or infanrix which are plain DTaP shots. If they refuse or say they can't, I'd find another doc that is willing to.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 15 Old 01-05-2010, 06:04 AM

Adacel and Boostrix are only for people over 10 years old.

Tripedia, Infanrix, and DAPTACEL are the brands for young children that are just DTaP.

Links to the vaccine package inserts:

Tripedia http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Biologi.../UCM101580.pdf (contains 0.3 mcg mercury, 100 mcg formaldehyde, and 0.17 mg aluminum.

Infanrix http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Biologi.../UCM124514.pdf (contains no mercury, 100 mcg formaldehyde, and 0.625 mg aluminum.

DAPTACEL http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Biologi.../UCM103037.pdf (contains no mercury, 5 mcg formaldehyde, and 0.33 mg aluminum.

http://www.mothering.com/health/aluminum-new-thimerosal
#4 of 15 Old 01-05-2010, 02:49 PM

I just called the pharmacy to order the tripedia brand of dtap, and the pharmacist said it is discontinued. Does anyone have any info about whether it is available or has been replaced?

Babygirlsmama
#5 of 15 Old 01-05-2010, 03:23 PM

I find that hard to believe since Tripedia has just recently been approved to cover more doses as well as be in combination with acthib. but maybe someone will see this with more information.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#6 of 15 Old 01-05-2010, 03:31 PM

they are still on the cdc price list:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs...9/02052009.htm

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#7 of 15 Old 01-05-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlsmama View Post
I just called the pharmacy to order the tripedia brand of dtap, and the pharmacist said it is discontinued. Does anyone have any info about whether it is available or has been replaced?
May I ask why you chose the brand with mercury? Yes, it is a low amount, but mercury has a synergistic effect with aluminum. The aluminum makes the thimerosal cross the blood brain barrier even more easily.

Also, have you had your baby's kidney function checked, to make sure there are no problems at all? Dr. Sears writes, "the FDA recommends that premature babies, and anyone with impaired kidney function, receive no more than 10 to 25 mcg of injected aluminum at any one time." http://www.mothering.com/health/aluminum-new-thimerosal Even the brand with the lowest amount of aluminum has 170 mcg.
#8 of 15 Old 01-05-2010, 10:36 PM

Do you have a source for the part about aluminum and the blood brain barrier? I do not believe that is at all the case.

#9 of 15 Old 01-05-2010, 11:11 PM

You could try a different pharmacy. Sometimes they say discontinued when they mean, they don't order it anymore.
#10 of 15 Old 01-06-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
Do you have a source for the part about aluminum and the blood brain barrier? I do not believe that is at all the case.
I spent about 5 minutes looking into this further, and didn't find anything about aluminum increasing the permeability. Apparently, thimerosal doesn't need any help crossing the BBB. It can do it quite easily by itself. However, aluminum has been found to act synergistically with mercury, increasing neuron death by a high percentage. http://toitumisteraapia.ee/boydhaley2005.pdf
#11 of 15 Old 01-06-2010, 01:12 AM

Ah, the "poor excretors" theory. I will do a write up on this tomorrow, too late tonight!

#12 of 15 Old 01-06-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Ah, the "poor excretors" theory. I will do a write up on this tomorrow, too late tonight!

"poor excretors" theory? I was referring to the part of the article where he discussed the synergistic effect of mercury and aluminum on neuron death.
#13 of 15 Old 01-06-2010, 11:12 AM

oh you mean how they put some neurons in a petri dish and bombarded them with preservative and aluminum to see what would happen? I have many problems with this "experiment". I think they should be pretty obvious.

#14 of 15 Old 01-06-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
oh you mean how they put some neurons in a petri dish and bombarded them with preservative and aluminum to see what would happen? I have many problems with this "experiment". I think they should be pretty obvious.
Lol, it's not a chance I'm willing to take with my baby's brain.
#15 of 15 Old 01-19-2010, 08:16 PM

My pediatrician uses Daptacel and based on the ingredients listed in Dr Sears Vaccine Book, that is also the brand that I felt most comfortable with.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page