What is the best vax for Dtap alone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-04-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I thought I had a plan re vaxing our little 2 month old. Our ped is fine with Dr. Bob's alternative schedule, but we would just have to order the Dtap vax through the pharmacy. I called to order the Dtap vaccine ( the Sanofi Pasteur brand) that is outlined in the Vaccine Book, as it has the lowest aluminum. It is apparently discontinued. They can get Adacel, but I see that is only for ages 11+.

So, is there an answer if we want to vax for Dtap alone, and not as part of a combo vaccine? I think the brand of the Dtap alone vax that the ped's office uses has a lot of aluminum.

What are folks doing about this?

Thanks!!

Babygirlsmama
#2 of 3 Old 01-16-2010, 03:15 PM

Hi there!

Do you have the Dr Sears book? Dr Sears only lists 3 dtaps, but the one that your pharmacy can order is listed as Tdap not Dtap. (Tdap is basically the same thing as Dtap, but Tdap has less diphtheria and pertussis because based on the book, he has it written that teens and adults react with more side effects when given the full dose of these components.) So, from my understanding based on the book, Adacel is for adolescents/teens and adults.

As for Dtap, He has listed:

Daptacel
Tripedia
Infanrix

I also like to go with all the lowest aluminum possible but I avoided asking about Tripedia from Sanofi because it had Mercury in it, (less than 0.3 micograms). But you said it's discontinued so this one is out of the picture.

Daptacel (also from Sanofi Pastures) is the brand I chose and it just so happens that this is the brand my pediatricians office uses. It has 330 micrograms of aluminum. Adacel has the same amount but it has less formaldehyde. I would lean more towards Adacel myself, but what would make me hesitant is that it isn't made for a 2 month old. Would it give the same amount of protection that it would give an older child? That would be my concern.

Have you asked about Daptacel? I don't think you could go wrong with Adacel, but I would talk to a dr about it and even try calling the manufacturer (which I have done in the past in regards to another vaccine and I do recommend you doing this also) and ask them about giving it to a 2 month old. But most likely they will say it hasn't been tested in babies that young so they can't give an answer.

I hope this helps in some way.
#3 of 3 Old 01-19-2010, 08:18 PM

I completely agree and would have responded with the same info. I felt most comfortable with Daptacel and that is the brand my pediatrician uses also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyJelly View Post
Hi there!

Do you have the Dr Sears book? Dr Sears only lists 3 dtaps, but the one that your pharmacy can order is listed as Tdap not Dtap. (Tdap is basically the same thing as Dtap, but Tdap has less diphtheria and pertussis because based on the book, he has it written that teens and adults react with more side effects when given the full dose of these components.) So, from my understanding based on the book, Adacel is for adolescents/teens and adults.

As for Dtap, He has listed:

Daptacel
Tripedia
Infanrix

I also like to go with all the lowest aluminum possible but I avoided asking about Tripedia from Sanofi because it had Mercury in it, (less than 0.3 micograms). But you said it's discontinued so this one is out of the picture.

Daptacel (also from Sanofi Pastures) is the brand I chose and it just so happens that this is the brand my pediatricians office uses. It has 330 micrograms of aluminum. Adacel has the same amount but it has less formaldehyde. I would lean more towards Adacel myself, but what would make me hesitant is that it isn't made for a 2 month old. Would it give the same amount of protection that it would give an older child? That would be my concern.

Have you asked about Daptacel? I don't think you could go wrong with Adacel, but I would talk to a dr about it and even try calling the manufacturer (which I have done in the past in regards to another vaccine and I do recommend you doing this also) and ask them about giving it to a 2 month old. But most likely they will say it hasn't been tested in babies that young so they can't give an answer.

I hope this helps in some way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page