What I Plan and Why - Check My Thinking And Add Yours, Please :) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 01-15-2010, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a nine-week old first (and likely only) child. Like y'all, I am struggling so much as to which vaccinations and when. I've read through a lot of posts, read Dr. Sear's book, and looked at the CDC website for each vaccination. Here is what I'm thinking -- please respond as specifically as possible if you think I've overlooked something for any vax.

My baby is breastfed (well bottle fed pumped breastmilk -- we never got a latch after *tons* of trying and LC's, etc.), and I work mostly from home so she is around the same few caregivers consistently. Although she is not in daycare, I realized the other day, when I stopped to get coffee on the way to a meeting and saw a little toddler play area in the cafe, that I don't want to feel paranoid about hanging out with other moms and their babies/toddlers and about her maybe licking a something that another child has touched. Plus there's the hygiene hypothesis -- I don't want a kid who is never exposed to any germs. So, while I know daycare isn’t a good developmental choice, that doesn’t mean she won’t be around other kids/germs ever. Bearing in mind all of that, here is what I am thinking:

1. HIB -- According to Sears, there were 25 cases in 2006. According to CDC "In 2007, among children younger than 5 years of age, 22 cases of invasive disease due to Hib were reported in the United States." And then, according to the CDC website, in the pre-vaccine era, most children acquired immunity naturally by age 5-6 without getting HIB ("In the prevaccine era, most children acquired immunity by 5–6 years of age through asymptomatic infection by Hib bacteria."). Also, you can't get HIB from a toy (again from CDC, "Hib does not survive in the environment on inanimate surfaces."). Then, HIB tends to occur in young children, often before they can even be vaccinated ("In 1998–2000, approximately 44% of children younger than 5 years of age with confirmed invasive Hib disease were younger than 6 months of age and too young to have completed a three-dose primary vaccination series" - CDC). Finally, the CDC lists several risk factors, none of which we have: Risk factors for Hib disease include exposure factors and host factors that increase the likelihood of exposure to Hib. Exposure factors include household crowding, large household size, child care attendance, low socioeconomic status, low parental education levels, and school-aged siblings. Host factors include race/ethnicity (elevated risk among African Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans—possibly confounded by socioeconomic variables that are associated with both race/ethnicity and Hib disease), chronic disease (e.g., sickle cell anemia, antibody deficiency syndromes, malignancies, especially during chemotherapy), and possibly gender (risk is higher for males)."
SO ... Even though HIB is a "milder" vax, I can't totally wrap my head around why we would get it. The risk seems infinitesimal of my baby getting HIB. Much more so than other diseases. Is there something I'm missing? At the very least, it seems better to wait until her system is more mature.

2. Polio. So many people on this site are opting for the Polio vaccine. I don't understand why. At this point, I'm not willing to vaccinate my little infant for herd protection, and I feel she can get the vax when she's older and her body is stronger for travel ling purposes. Again, am I missing something?

3. PC (Pneumococcal Disease). Dr. Sears says all babies will encounter this germ and it just depends how serious the affects are. The CDC says the relationship between being and carrier and contracting the disease is unclear. However, many people are carriers. Also, the CDC website indicates it is a somewhat common cause of ear infections. It is also responsible, pre-vaccine, for pneumococcal meningitis in rates of 10 per 100,000 children under one. However, 11% of children receiving the PCV7 booster (with DTaP at the same time) reported fevers higher than 102.2.
SO ... I absolutely cannot decide. One thing I'm thinking about is waiting until seven months, when the dosage drops by one. "Unvaccinated children aged 7 through 11 months should receive two doses of vaccine at least 4 weeks apart, followed by a booster dose at age 12 thorugh 15 months" (CDC) .

4. Rotovirus. Here's what confuses me about this. It's super common. Most kids get it. BUT, it seems like, although it’s more severe in infants, most kids get it between two and five years old. BUT, the vaccination only lasts one or two seasons. So, one would think, “I’ll vaccinate my child at two-years old for this.” However, you can’t vaccinate past eight months. What’s the deal with that? Also, in California, where I live (L.A.), we get Rotovirus in the fall and winter. Meaning it’s nearly passed for my two-month-old, so why would I want to vaccinate her now. Next fall, when she’s slightly too old, is when I would consider vaccinating her. I really don’t understand this one. Who has insight?

5. DTaP. For DTaP, my only concern is with the Pertussis part of it (just out of curiosity, does anyone know the rationale behind why there is not a separate Pertussis vaccine?). One thing I learned from the CDC site is that the all of the infant fatalities due to whooping cough occur in infants younger than six month (with three months and younger accounting for 86% of deaths). Since she is breastfed and not in daycare, I wonder if I can be extra protective her first six months, and then avoid this vax. Then again, there were over 25,000 cases reported last year (or the year before, don’t remember), so maybe it’s worth vaccinating against. Having trouble deciding.

I’m going to cross the MMR bridge when I get to it, and definitely no on hepatitis/hpv until teenage years and then it’s her choice.

I look forward to the collective wisdom!

-Julie and Zoey Ellis (nine weeks)
#2 of 22 Old 01-15-2010, 11:21 PM

DD is 26 months and we started vaccinations at 6 months we started with DTaP which we are now finished with. And she just received her second Polio. Our doctor is AWESOME about delayed and selective vaccination and at each visit we talk about what we REALLY need. We got DTaP mostly for the tetanus protection and it is minimally reactive. We decided on Polio because our doctor recommended it and it is a truly devastating disease and my daughter was going to be exposed to an adopted child from a foreign country (better safe than sorry).

I refuse to give DD Hep or Chicken pox vaccines and MMR I will also cross that bridge much much later.
#3 of 22 Old 01-15-2010, 11:55 PM

I can't offer much insite but I will tell you my thoughts and experiences. I basically followed the dr sears schedule up to this point. I really didn't want to vax ds or at least delay for a few years but my husband argued with me so we compromised when I found out about Dr Sears schedule. (ds is 12 months but his last vax was delayed in which he received at 10 months.)

My ds is not in daycare and he is not around other children or people (for the most part, except when I take him to the ped's or the mall, then I have to deal with the people that feels the need to touch him, like the other day when I went shopping, which really pissed me off since it is cold and flu season but anyway, that's another story

I did a lot of research on the rotovirus, and the manufacturer said that they know it lasts for 2 years but they never tested it longer than 2 years but they said that it could very well last for years. Out of all the vaccines, this is the one that I would recommend for an infant without a doubt to get. Now, other vaccines, I am on the fence.

DTAP, I don't regret getting him this shot. DS had 3 doses. I recently heard of a baby catching whopping cough from a nurse at a hospital. Apparently it was a bad case. A lot of people like to cough and not hold their mouth either .

HIB- . I did read that it was rare in the Dr Sears book but I read of someone who had a really bad case of hib. I honestly would of rather skipped giving ds this vax. He only received 2 doses of it but I will not continue with anymore. I read that this can be a cause of peanut allergies (NOT PROVEN THOUGH), plus, I read that studies connect this with increase risk of diabetes. Diabetes run on my side of the family and ds was diagnosed with peanut allergies.

Prevnar- This one is the shot I really regret but I can't say I would recommend nor not recommend since everyone has different experiences. Dr Sears said there is a more risk of seizures (which ds experienced with his 3rd dose but the pediatrician refuses to admit this vax was the cause even though it happened within hours of the dose, no other vaxes that day). I believe it only covers a fraction of the strains of the disease with only a small percentage of those strains actually being a cause of a serious case. Well, you read the book Dr Sears book so you know what I am saying. I do know that the manufacturer is coming out with a prevnar that covers 15 (??) strains. Even so, because of my son's experience, I am not going to vax him with the last dose, nor if I have another child, will he/she be receiving this vax. I would love for him to have the protection, but it's not worth the risk of what he went through.

Because of the experience with Prevnar, I am really afraid to get him anymore vax's and if I do consider any more vaccines, it won't be until he is many years older. Out of the ones I have not listed, the only one for sure I will get him is polio vax. Like you, I am going to wait until he is much older for the same reasons you listed. I am back and forth about the chicken pox fax, I have to do research on it. As far as the other vax's I haven't listed, they are off the list for now until I do more research of the risks.

It's really a shame because I want the protection without the risks. Even though they say the risks are rare, they still can and do happen like with my ds. I want to do the right thing, but what is the right thing to do? It's like, if I don't give him the vax, he can catch the disease. If I do give him the vax, he can the statistic that experiences the bad side effects.

This probably didn't help but all I can say is I know how you feel.

Jen Kelly
#4 of 22 Old 01-16-2010, 06:34 PM

We had 7 hib cases in unvaccinated kids in my immediate area last year. 3 died. So, it might seem like a very rare thing, but last year it didn't feel so rare in these parts, kwim? It's a very nasty disease when it goes invasive with high percentages of complications (50% + meningitis, 18-20% epiglotittis, etc-- high percentages of permanent damage even once you get past the high death rate)

For our family, death is not the only concern with a disease. Pertussis can lead to pneumonia, cracked ribs, and extended illness-- sometimes for a month or even more.

Hep A is asymptomatic in 70% or so of kids who get it (though I have seen quotes of up to 90% asymptomatic) but when Hep A goes symptomatic, it can be pretty bad-- a month long illness with high chance of relapse. Though we have not gotten this one, we did look into it-- not because of the chance of "death" but because of the other effects of the disease.

we are one family that does IPV; we feel it is important for our family due to extensive travel.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#5 of 22 Old 01-16-2010, 06:54 PM

Just my two cents: I dont vaccinate at all anymore, not since my son suffered encephalitis from Dtap.
Pertussis vaccine is highly reactive, and imo, not worth the risk.
Polio-I also agree that it is not necessary in general. After much research, i realized the majority of the time polio is not life threatening. Many people may have been infected and not known it.
Hib and prevnar i crossed off the list right away due to serotype replacement. Bigger and badder germs are brewing due to these vaccines, so what is their solution? Working on another hib and prevnar vax to include more strains, and the same thing will just keep happening all over again.

Roto and chixpox-totally ridiculous, IMO. I understand that some people choose to do these, I however am against them in every aspect.

I prefer a natural, strong, intact, healthy immune system! I read and learn a lot about how to treat vpd's naturally and that makes me feel secure and confident if i ever came across them.
Since I stopped vaxing my ds, he has been healthier, and has much less illness than other kids his age.
Check out Dr. Sherry Tenpennys vaccine book, also Aviva jill romms book. good luck

DS 5-11-06
#6 of 22 Old 01-16-2010, 09:07 PM

I am going to go down a list of the first vaccines given

Rotovirus: I am for the rotovirus vaccine. About 50,000 children are hospitalized each year in the US due to this disease but I think it's because of dehydration. My friend has 2 children. One vaxed with roto and one without. Both were in contact with a child that came down with the rotovirus. Out of my sister's kids, the one that was not vaxed caught the disease very badly and ended up in the hospital. She said if she could of done it over again, she would of got her vaxed. Depending on the severity of the disease, it can be an awful disease to go through. However, it's usually not bad beyond the age of 2 and anyway, most severe cases are in the first year of life.

HIB- I would get. It can be a horrible disease though it's rare.

Pc- I would consider getting this one.

Chicken Pox vax - not sure about this one. I would rather have my child catch the disease naturally.

MMR - I am avoiding this one but will consider when older

Hep B and A - I will consider when my child is older.
#7 of 22 Old 01-16-2010, 09:16 PM

double post
#8 of 22 Old 01-17-2010, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Julie,

I just wanted to say kudos for the research you've done so far and the thought process and reasoning. Well done!

We don't vax here, but I always re-evaluate our situation as the kids get older or circumstances change.

1. Hib we crossed off the list early, for many of the same reasons you listed.

2. Polio...there wouldn't be any herd protection anyway if it's the IPV. Again, not on our list. The kids can get it themselves later if they want to travel somewhere that has endemic polio.

3. Pc- Also, declined for the reasons you mentioned as well as serotype replacement, which I've been examining on and off for a while. There was a recent thread posted, I'm sure you saw: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1182853

4. Rota: also, not on our list. And neither kid has had rota so far.

5. DTaP: With pertussis, I recall reading here, that it takes the whole series to build up adequate immunity (so by the end of the six months) at which time the most life threatening period has passed. Also, the vaccine does not prevent transmission. I was fully vaxed for pertussis and caught it anyway, so that colors my perceptions. I just met with a GP here in Australia to sign our exemption forms and he said the only one he really recommends is tetanus, so I'm going over the info again and will consider everything carefully. I do see some merit to it, but I am also very hesitant about the aluminum adjuvant in light of Chris Shaw's research, so I really would have to be 100% convinced that the T vaccine (which I can't get singly anyway, so DT vaccine) is absolutely necessary and of sound benefit for us to justify the documented effects of aluminum hydroxide on neurons. With my daughter, it hasn't been that much of an issue honestly, but I can already see that my son is more of a risk taker, so no doubt we'll keep re-evaluating this in coming years.

MMR...not in childhood. Perhaps in later years if they haven't developed natural immunity.

As for the others, varicella, hep A and hep B, hpv...no, not at all.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#9 of 22 Old 01-17-2010, 09:52 PM

Your plans make sense to me! I have a one year old DD.

I did keep her close to home/out of daycare for her first several months (which I know I was blessed to be able to do). When she was about 5 months old she got her first vax which was DTAP -- I am scared of pertussis. As Carrie said, it's not just death that scares me ... the idea of my little baby having a horrible, hacking cough for weeks and weeks really makes me nervous. And pertussis is NOT a rare disease. We DO plan on doing quite a bit of travel in the future, so the tetanus and diptheria components were (sortof) okay with me. I'm glad I waited a few extra months to get her the vaccine (because she was several pounds heavier by then, and just more "grown up") but it WAS a gamble...pertussis in a newborn can be ugly but, rarely, that vaccine has had some horrible reactions. I was nervous when she got it but she had no problems with it.

So far that's the only vax she's gotten (she's had the first 3 of the series). Due to my research, I feel that breast milk is very protective against HIB and PC. I will get her the single dose of HIB when she is 15 months old, because I will be nursing her much less often by then and I feel that the single dose at the older age might be prudent.

PC is a dodgy vaccine. LOL. Too many unknowns, too many increased rates of ear infections, etc.

Rotavirus. Meh. If she was in daycare and formula fed I WOULD do this vaccine. I fully expected that she would have gotten rotavirus by now, and I had just hoped that it would be a mild-moderate cause that breast milk would get us through. Skipping this also feels like a little bit of a gamble to me but it's worked out fine so far (knock-on-wood). If we didn't live next to a good hospital, where IV hydration was an option, I might also have reconsidered.

IPV -- why get it? I really don't know. I skipped this one to be revisited at a later date.

MMR, Chickenpox, Hepatitis A, Flu -- no thanks, not for now.

And I just wanted to say KUDOS to you for breastfeeding your baby even though you have to pump. That is hard work and you are awesome for doing it! I think you are using your brain and your mama's intuition to make good vaccine decisions ... things are different depending on the child and the family. Good luck!
#10 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=LilacMama;14945163]Due to my research, I feel that breast milk is very protective against HIB and PC. I will get her the single dose of HIB when she is 15 months old, because I will be nursing her much less often by then and I feel that the single dose at the older age might be prudent.

Thanks for all of the replies -- they've been so helpful. I'm now leaning toward DTaP now-ish and HIB soon-ish, with a round of homeopathic support before and after vax.

Question about waiting and less doses. Do you know at what points the doses go down for DTaP and for HIB. If it's one dose at fifteen months, at which point is it two doses? Three doses? Same for DTaP. Or where do I find that information?
#11 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 02:14 PM

Hep B: 11 years + using the Recombivax HB would mean you only need 2 shots instead of 3

Rotavirus: 3 doses for Rotateq 2 for Rotarix, can't start after 12 weeks

DTaP: You do not need a 5th dose if your 4th dose was 4 years+

Pneumoccocal: only 1 dose needed if started at 24 months or older

IPV: no 4th dose needed if 3rd dose was 4 years or older

MMR: will always say 2 doses (though studies show good immunity after one)

Hep A: no change in dose number with age

Chicken Pox: no change in dose number with age

Hib: only 1 dose needed 15 months or later

So, if you wanted hib protection earlier you could do 12 months and 15 months and you would be done. For DTaP you could do 4 doses and then just the booster every 7 years if you wanted is you got that 4th dose after 4 years.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#12 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
We had 7 hib cases in unvaccinated kids in my immediate area last year. 3 died. So, it might seem like a very rare thing, but last year it didn't feel so rare in these parts, kwim? It's a very nasty disease when it goes invasive with high percentages of complications (50% + meningitis, 18-20% epiglotittis, etc-- high percentages of permanent damage even once you get past the high death rate)
Carriebft: Do you know if the 7 cases were among breastfed babies? Or those that were in daycare?
On conversations and research into hib the consensus was that it is even rarer in breastfed babies, rarer when the child (and sibling(s)) are out of daycare. It is, of course, hard to find real data on this. And public policy/vaccine policy is made for everyone instead of individualizing what might be more necessary for a child who is not at home or breastfed, for example. I did get the opportunity to hear Dr Sears do his vaccine talk at our LLL conference and he briefly mentioned that breastfeeding would further reduce risks- but of course couldn't provide actual numbers/statistics. My interpretation of his remarks was that b-feeding significantly reduces risks for many diseases that are already quite low.

This was one the our pedi gently pushed, but I declined because my dd was breastfed and she was not in daycare, she was healthy, etc.

I'm going to need to do more thinking on MMR for my 6 year old and if there is anything I'd want my dd to have now that she's 2 1/2. I stopped my sons vaccines at about 15 months (after delaying them) and there might be a few series shots I might just finish for him since then he'd just need the one more shot instead of having to start over.

I only wish I had thought to have his titers run for MMR and possibly some of the partial series that he had when he had to have his blood drawn.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#13 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 05:40 PM

I only have indepth information on one of the cases (a death): unvaccinated, breastfed and homeschooled. We will be reading more about this story in the paper soon, or so I am told.

The five MN cases were not in day care. We know that the one case with 3 doses that turned out to have an immune deficiency that made vaccination worthless was breastfed (recent news article where she was featured) but that is all we know.

#14 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I only have indepth information on one of the cases (a death): unvaccinated, breastfed and homeschooled. We will be reading more about this story in the paper soon, or so I am told.
The five MN cases were not in day care. We know that the one case with 3 doses that turned out to have an immune deficiency that made vaccination worthless was breastfed (recent news article where she was featured) but that is all we know.
Thanks for answering. I guess the next step would be to see if there were underlying medical issues (seems like there was in the one case). It was a really hard one to make a decision on- if there hadn't been the HIB recall and thus a shortage I might have felt even more pressure to vax at the time.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#15 of 22 Old 01-19-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Rotavirus: always gonna be 3 doses, can't start after 12 months
I thought it couldn't be started after 12 weeks, not months?

grouphug.gifPenny4them  
Blessed WAH wife and mama to my happy brood jumpers.gif Dd1(7/01) Dd2(10/02) Ds (6/09) CDing & ECing works! No Circ, Make it yourself or buy something Handmade! mdcblog5.gif 

#16 of 22 Old 01-19-2010, 09:21 AM

ops thanks for catching that.

#17 of 22 Old 01-19-2010, 02:51 PM
JMJ

I think it's great that we can all look at our own children and family history and weigh our own risk factors for each particular disease or vaccine.

The diseases that scare me the most are Pertussis and Tetanus (not until 5, though). Pertussis is common, and when babies get it, it's often serious. I chose the brand that I was most comfortable with and got my daughter the first three doses of this vaccine on schedule. Yes, I too wish there was a pertussis only vaccine.

I had a great uncle die of Tetanus before the vaccine was available. From what I understand, it is only wounds that don't bleed that will allow Tetanus to be a problem. If my kid stepped on a dirty nail, I would feel like I would need to cut the wound open to let it bleed in order to ensure that my DD doesn't get Tetanus. I'm not willing to do that. Dr. Sears' book said that children 4 and under really don't get it, so I won't get a booster until DD is 4. My husband doesn't want to keep his Tetanus booster up to date. He carries a pocket knife, and he knows what to do in the unlikely event that he steps on a dirty nail.

Hib scares me too. It's not very common, but when a baby gets it, it's often serious and even deadly. I wanted to get this vaccine for my kids until I found out that it was associated with a greater incidence of juvenile diabetes. My sister has juvenile diabetes, and my grandma probably did. Since Hib is so uncommon (largely due to the vaccine) and my children likely already have risk factors for juvenile diabetes, I feel like the risk from getting the vaccine is greater than the risk of getting the disease and having a bad reaction.

Rotavirus - This was a no-brainer for me. Diarrhea is almost unheard-of in breastfed babies, and I'm planning on extended nursing my babies. In the unlikely event that any of my kids come down with a serious case, I am well educated on how to handle severe diarrhea and know when IV fluids are reqired, and we have good access to and can afford medical care. Common side effects of the vaccine look a lot like a *mild* form of the disease itself, including in some cases, the ability to pass on the real disease to other children!!! I know that for formula fed kids in daycare, there are a lot more risks, and rota is a major cause of hospitalization in kids. I just think that for us (no underlying medical problems, extended breastfed, cared for by SAHM, kept home whenever already sick, no older siblings, educated parents and good access to medical care), it just doesn't make any sense.

Prevnar was a difficult choice for us. It's somewhat common, but the strains that are common are the ones that aren't covered by the vaccine. You just can't know how likely it is that your child will get one of the strains that could have been prevented by the vaccine. There is a real risk of getting one of the strains not covered by the vaccine, and I feel like this is used to convince parents to get their kids the vaccine. The ingredient list is kinda scary to me. In the end, we decided not to do it, but we'll reevaluate if necessary.

Polio - yeah sure, if she's going to a country that has polio, she can get the vaccine. There hasn't been a wild case of polio (not caused by the oral vaccine) in the country in my or my husband's lifetime. It's asymptomatic in 95% of cases, and the serious cases often have malnutrition factors or underlying health concerns. I know people with post-polio syndrome, but the truth is that it's really not a risk for people who are in the polio-free half of the world.

MMR - Since we don't have anything like autism in either my family or my husband's family, I'm not worried about it, but of those diseases, the only one I'm really worried about is rubella. The rubella portion of that vaccine was made using two aborted fetuses. We're very pro-life, and that is absolutely unacceptable to us. We would be happy to get an ethical version of the vaccine (as long as we were able to deem it safe).

Chicken pox and Hep A - generally not serious diseases and also made from aborted fetuses.

Hep B and HPV - We'll teach our daughter about how these diseases are spread and give her the information she needs to protect herself. Ideally, she would prevent these diseases through behavior rather than vaccines, but she will not grow up ignorant of these diseases and vaccines.

Meningococcal - will evaluate later, would consider it earlier if it was offered

Flu - not unless we have a kid with underlying health problems, then only mercury-free
#18 of 22 Old 01-23-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Is this the case with the immune deficiency?
http://www.vaccinateyourbaby.org/why/victims.cfm

It's the second story down. Of course they make it sound like this baby got Hib because of all the irresponsible parents that didn't vaccinate. My understanding with Hib is that a lot of people are carriers but it is most serious in infants. It is probably more likely the baby got Hib from an adult than an unvaccinated baby. Plus I thought Hib wasn't even offered until the 90s so most anyone over 20 has probably not ever had the Hib vax. And they don't give it past age 5 so there are probably quite a few people out there with waning immunity.

I did just get Hib for my 23 month old and 3 year old last month. After reading more about it I would probably do it pretty much on schedule if I had another baby. I kind of went back and forth but they were both big enough that they only needed a single dose.

mama to six ('98, '00, '04, '04, '06, '08)
#19 of 22 Old 01-24-2010, 01:37 PM

Carriebft,

>I only have indepth information on one of the cases (a death): unvaccinated, breastfed and homeschooled. We will be reading more about this story in the paper soon, or so I am told.<

Where did you get this info.? I would love the link to this information as I have never heard this before. How old was this child? Thanks!

Stacey
#20 of 22 Old 01-25-2010, 12:39 AM

Almost 5-- I only know through a couple conversations that lead me to discover that they are doing a story on some of the hib deaths, just as they did recently in the USA Today with that story on the hib cases in MN where they interviewed the mother of the child with the immune deficiency. I can't say for sure when the story is coming out, but the family gave the interview just recently.

Though I suppose I could be off on all that since it is all kinda second hand from a friend at the Inquirer. Though I don't think he had any reason to lie to me...it was just a casual convo and to see if I was/knew people who were interested in talking about Dr Sears schedule or whatever.

#21 of 22 Old 01-25-2010, 03:46 AM

Thanks...and do you know if this is the family that didn't believe in ANY medical intervention? I read of one of the cases (not sure if it was PA or MN) that the child was 4 and sick for days, but the parents didn't believe in going to the dr. I was just wondering if you knew if this was the same 4 yo?
#22 of 22 Old 01-25-2010, 10:16 AM

I heard they were amish- but don't quote me on that-- said to "eschew modern medicine" but the child was treated at CHOP. Also, there was another case- the 2 yr old that died, they also were part of a religion that refused vaccination and "modern medicine" but that child was also treated at a hospital, so I have no idea.

I'll wait to really comment until the article comes out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page