Do you vax while potential of a cold? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I have a nasty cold and have had it for 2 days. In 2 more days, I have an appointment for DS to get his second shot (he had 1 dTap at 5.5 months). He is 10 months old and I was going to get him the Hib or the 2nd dTap, depending on what my ped has in her office (last I checked they were still on a shortage of ActHib). At any rate, he is not *yet* sick, and I breast feed regularly, so he may have avoided my cold altogether through breast milk, since I got it before him.

But on the off chance that he will get the cold, should I hold off on the shot?

I know some mamas vax if no fever, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks!

buddamomimg1.pngWriter/Designer/Hip Hippie Russian Mama to Torngtongue.gif (3yo) and Kboc.gif(4mo)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 07:25 PM

No definitely not.
Vaccines are a stress on the immune system and should only be administered to a healthy individual. I'm sure your HCP will tell you the same.
Afterall, there is absolutley no harm in waiting.

and
Old 01-31-2010, 04:55 PM

Completely agree with BaBaBa (although not as sure as she that your HCP would suggest a delay...).

Learned the hard way (well, it was hard for DS), not to vax when anything less than completely healthy. Means another schlep to the doc, another co-pay, but worth the peace of mind.

Hope you feel better.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:14 PM

I think the OP is saying that her child does *not have a cold and should she delay based on the chance that the child *might get a cold because the mom has one...is that right op?

If it were me and the child was healthy that day, i'd do it but if they were showing signs of having a cold than i'd reschedule it. So can you just decide that day? or do you have to reschedule a certain amount of time in advance?

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
Old 02-01-2010, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
I think the OP is saying that her child does *not have a cold and should she delay based on the chance that the child *might get a cold because the mom has one...is that right op?

If it were me and the child was healthy that day, i'd do it but if they were showing signs of having a cold than i'd reschedule it. So can you just decide that day? or do you have to reschedule a certain amount of time in advance?
YES! He doesn't *yet* have a cold, but I am on day 4 of mine. By this point I am thinking he will avoid the cold? The appointment is tomorrow morning, so I'll see then, I suppose. Thank you for decoding my post, btw!

buddamomimg1.pngWriter/Designer/Hip Hippie Russian Mama to Torngtongue.gif (3yo) and Kboc.gif(4mo)

User Tag List