Safest brand of DTaP? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-22-2010, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What brand of DTaP did you (or would you) prefer, and why?

Also, I have seen a web site that compares the ingredients in each, but I can't find it now. Anyone have it?

Retired Ohio midwife. Mama to my boy E, born 7/05
#2 of 10 Old 02-22-2010, 02:43 PM

Daptecel

for us because:
Less aluminum
Less overall reactions

We have to pay extra for it at our family dr. but feel it is worth it. DS has had it twice with no reactions whatsoever.

We also only gave him that vax (in otherwords no other vaxes that same day)

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#3 of 10 Old 02-23-2010, 07:03 PM

The Vaccine Book (Sears) discusses several...and he posts updates on his website. We're doing our first vaccination ever this week--the DT he mentions in the book.
#4 of 10 Old 02-23-2010, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

I've tried the Sears site and didn't get the info I was looking for.

My son is 4 1/2 an unvaccinated thus far. I'm not interested in the DT because I'm only doing this for the pertussis part. Wish I could get it solo.

I know I number of people, kids and adults, who have actually gotten whooping cough, and it is really awful.

Retired Ohio midwife. Mama to my boy E, born 7/05
#5 of 10 Old 05-26-2011, 06:38 AM

http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/components-DTaP.htm

familybed2.gifSAHM, military wife, momma to DSD 2004lady.gif, 2007angel1.gif, DS 2008jog.gif,  DD 2011 jog.gif

lactivist.gifintactivist.gifh20homebirth.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing2.gifphotosmile2.gif

#6 of 10 Old 05-26-2011, 09:48 AM

My DD just had her first dose of the daptacel yesterday. She has been intermittantly crying, obviously in pain, hardly eating (nursing alot) and won't let me touch the area. She was also woozy all yesterday and this morning and woke up every 45 minutes last night screaming. She is finally down for a nap today after waking up 3 hours earlier than usual this morning. she refused to eat lunch. She's had the polio series and one HIB (since we did it at 15 months). We didn't start any vaxes until she was 12 months old and we've never done more than one at a time, once a month. I'm going to postpone the other two doses for a while because she did not react like this to the other two vaxes and I feel like these are signs that her system is not ready for it. We only considered this vax because we will be traveling to areas with Diptheria, but that's not until next summer.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#7 of 10 Old 05-27-2011, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

If it was so awful, I bet they didn't treat it with sodium ascorbate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHmidwife View Post

I know I number of people, kids and adults, who have actually gotten whooping cough, and it is really awful.

Marnica likes this.
#8 of 10 Old 05-27-2011, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm not saying that by any means it is safe, but if I had a gun pointed to my head, I would choose Daptacel because it has no mercury (unlike Tripedia), and it has less aluminum and formaldehyde than Infanrix.

#9 of 10 Old 05-27-2011, 04:24 PM

DS had one dose of daptacel so far (at 28 months) and he was a little like tipsy for the rest of the day and then had some weird rash for 4 weeks in his face.

#10 of 10 Old 05-30-2011, 05:15 PM

From the Sears book, I chose Daptacel. It says this:

Ingredients:

3 germ and toxoid components

saline solutions

2-phenoxyethanol

aluminum (330 micrograms--more than Tripedia, but that has mercury, less than Infanrix)

formaldehyde

Daptacael doesn't use cow tissues extract and uses half the amount of pertussis components. Pertussis components trigger most side effects, and less is not more.

This is one of the only ones we got for our daughter, but we haven't completely the series yet, bc she always manages to be sick at shot time. Good luck!

Tags
Vaccinations , Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination , The Vaccine Book Making The Right Decision For Your Child Sears Parenting Library , Reaction , Aluminum , Thimerosal , Diphtheria , Tetanus , Pertussis

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page