Some reassurance? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-16-2010, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Before DS was born we had decided to adapt a selective and delayed vaccine schedule. It was a hard decision for us and I can't say that I'm not nervous about it at times. Apparently there was a case of measles not too far from where we live and I'm slightly freaked out. I hope I'm in the right place, looking for some reassurance. DS is 18 months old right now and still breastfeeding, which I know helps his immune system.
Thanks for reading.
#2 of 4 Old 04-17-2010, 01:05 AM

I'm near you, and to be honest, I'm a little worried too. Logically, I know that I shouldn't be. My kids are healthy and if they contracted the measles, they'll be fine. My husband and his sister had measles and he reassures me that it wasn't really a big deal.

My concerns are with the "what if's." The thing is, with vaccination, my fears are of the same thing. What if I do vaccinate them for this and they are injured by the vaccine? What if I don't and they get the rare, but serious complication? It's just complicated either way. For right now, I'm not considering the vaccine though. I don't buy the autism being a product of the MMR vaccine anyway, but I think that all vaccines contribute to our general decline in health, as well as autism.

If mumps comes around, I would probably consider the vaccine, to be honest.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#3 of 4 Old 04-17-2010, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
I'm near you, and to be honest, I'm a little worried too. Logically, I know that I shouldn't be. My kids are healthy and if they contracted the measles, they'll be fine. My husband and his sister had measles and he reassures me that it wasn't really a big deal.

My concerns are with the "what if's." The thing is, with vaccination, my fears are of the same thing. What if I do vaccinate them for this and they are injured by the vaccine? What if I don't and they get the rare, but serious complication? It's just complicated either way. For right now, I'm not considering the vaccine though. I don't buy the autism being a product of the MMR vaccine anyway, but I think that all vaccines contribute to our general decline in health, as well as autism.

If mumps comes around, I would probably consider the vaccine, to be honest.
I'm glad I'm not the only one worrying. I think I'll keep the little one closer to home for right now. You know, wait it out and see what happens in the news. Sometimes, no matter how much research I've done, I feel so uneducated!
#4 of 4 Old 04-18-2010, 02:17 AM

My DD is 3 and doesnt have any vax's. But I totally know how you feel. I freak out at least once a year and then re-read about every vaccine preventable illness, memorize symptoms and review the WHO data on how many cases a year there are in the US. DH goes crazy because I worry myself into a frenzy. But once I spend a week obsessing, I remember why I made the choice and feel way better

You are so not alone. But I can tell you, with each passing year you get more and more comfortable with your choice!

Lauren , DH , DD 02/2007 and expecting #2 (12/7/10)! We

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page