My pedi didn't have much to say about my delaying vaccines with my 6 mo old... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-02-2010, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
... because I confused the heck out of her!

She asked me why I wasn't vaccinating and was delaying some vax and I told her "I'm opposed to injecting my infant with vaccines derived from aborted fetal stem cell lines and that contain animal products such as vero cells and calf blood serum. Many of the vaccines that don't meet those criteria are regarded as highly reactive and I'd rather wait to introduce them to my son's body."

She stared at me, blinked, then went on to tell me how important it was to get vaccines for pertussis, pc, and hib because of how fatal they could be. I smiled, thanked her, signed the refusal consent form, and we went our way.

Hib is very uncommon, pc is more common but I've made an informed choice to not vaccinate for it since it is more reactive than I'm comfortable with, and pertussis is dangerous mainly in infants under 6 months.

Just to babble on a little about the vaccines I'll be delaying: I'll be getting my son the DT vaccine when he's old enough to play in the dirt (it's the only tetanus vaccine approved for children under 7 and I'm hoping my son gets over his fear of grass long before that )

If he hasn't been exposed to chickenpox by the time he's a teen, I'll consider getting him the varicella vaccine at that time. Perhaps also the meningococcal and hep B vaccines, though less likely. Lots of time to make that decision.

If we end up travelling to foreign countries, I'll consider vaccines for diseases endemic to that area.

I welcome feedback on my list. Mainly I just wanted to share the chuckle I got from my pedi's reaction.

Edited to add disclaimer: My son isn't in daycare and rarely has close contact with anyone but me and my husband. My husband is self-employed and rarely around other people who may be sick. If the situation were different, I would probably consider vaccinating for more illnesses. I add that because I see a lot of people on here are asking due to daycare concerns, which I think is a completely different situation than the one I'm in.

Lore, mom to my sweet little boy, born at home 11/09, and my spunky little girl, born in the hospital 10/10

#2 of 6 Old 06-02-2010, 06:00 PM

My older children, ages 15 and 12 have had no vaccinations, and have also never contracted anything that the vaccines are for. They attend public schools, and live as all other children their age.
I truly don t believe there is a danger in non vaccinating, unless they would be in a high risk situation.

Loving wife and mama to 3 happy, healthy, home born children
#3 of 6 Old 06-05-2010, 04:35 PM

Appreciate your disclaimer since I am in the same boat and have been struggling with this whole vaccine thing. I work from home and my husband is a farmer who has limited interaction with customers, and I can't for the life of me imagine where our four month old would get any of these diseases. My husband does want to vax but is leaving all of the decisions to me, and it is harder than I thought. Overall, have decided to wait until babe is over a year, and then to go slow. My Ped is fine with whatever I decide, but would like me to start vaccinating before I stop breastfeeding. Still much to decide, but time to do it hopefully...
#4 of 6 Old 06-23-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottergirl View Post
Appreciate your disclaimer since I am in the same boat and have been struggling with this whole vaccine thing. I work from home and my husband is a farmer who has limited interaction with customers, and I can't for the life of me imagine where our four month old would get any of these diseases. My husband does want to vax but is leaving all of the decisions to me, and it is harder than I thought. Overall, have decided to wait until babe is over a year, and then to go slow. My Ped is fine with whatever I decide, but would like me to start vaccinating before I stop breastfeeding. Still much to decide, but time to do it hopefully...
I don't want to hi-jack here but am wondering what's the significance to start vx'ing before your lo weans?
#5 of 6 Old 07-03-2010, 10:09 AM

I would image it is because the LO would no longer be getting mom's immunity from her milk.
#6 of 6 Old 07-03-2010, 10:12 AM

Isn't it crazy when that happens. At my son's 4m well check up vaccines came up. I normally don't discuss my vaccines with my doc (we are military and have to go to a clinic that is seperate from my doc's office to get our shots). However, he asked me and I expressed my frustration with not being able to get certain shots due to ethical concerns I have over aborted fetal cells being used and he said he couldn't image that it would be legal to do that and he would research more info on it because if that was the case then he had serious concerns about those vaccines. We'll see what he has to say at our 6 mo appt when he figures out I was correct.

I delay some vaccines but for the most part get many mainly due to my husband's job and the fact that he could deploy at a moments notice to a country that he could possibly bring back something we vaccinate agaisnt and I want my children to have that protection.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page