If you delayed vaccinations, did you notice any reactions (or lack thereof)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-14-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm currently researching so I can make decisions regarding vaccinations for my DS. He is only 2 mos old, and I'm choosing to delay at this time. I don't know how long...I'm thinking I might push it back for as long as possible, until it's a requirement for school. So my question is, if you delayed vaxing for any amount of time, did your child have any kind of reaction? I'm mostly concerned with DTaP, but I would like to hear about any others as well. If there is already a thread about this, just point me to it...

Thanks!

Mom to Kevin,bfinfant.gif : born naturally 4-7-10 nocirc.gif

#2 of 4 Old 06-18-2010, 10:12 AM

We didn't delay but did selective. At 7 months, DS suffered vax injury after receiving HiB and Prevnar. With the knowledge I have now, we will no longer vax DS and will delay vax of future children until at least 4 years old (if we vax at all).

DS is recovering with biomedical interventions. We will be starting the GAPS diet (all of us need it) to help with further recovery for DS.

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#3 of 4 Old 07-01-2010, 05:21 AM

DD had her Hep B at birth then had 4 month shots and 6 month shots done late at 7 months. About 7-10 days after the shot she developed what i believe was a reaction. It was an unexplained fever of 102. She had no illness before or during the fever. They listened to her breath found no ear infections or anything and even did chest x-ray to check for pneumonia but of course it was clear she hadn't even been sick once. Usually fever would occur in the that first week not after. This was my concern for going with delayed slower and selective vaxing.

She seems to be a normal healthy child reaching milestones at or before average. She is also very rarely sick and has never had more than a a couple days of common cold and a few ear infections.

Melissa mama to Zoë 7/26/03
#4 of 4 Old 07-02-2010, 02:02 PM

I have three children, and one received a very delayed DTaP at the age of 5 (He had gotten a nail embedded in his heel and his pedi thought it really necessary to prevent tetanus).

I did not notice any reaction to the shot.

A year later, my oldest (age 8) fell and scraped his head on the metal handle of a dresser, which cut into his scalp. It was at night, and the ER physician again thought taking a solitary tetanus was very prudent, which I agreed to. They gave him the adult dose, single vax, and although he had injection area soreness for over a month, he had no other noticeable after effects. The ER Doctor told me that the adult dosage was actually LESS than they give to children, because adults need less to stimulate the immune response? I've never independently verified that, but if that is true, that would really make the case for waiting, in my opinion.

I will share the experience my friend has had, with her delayed vaccinations. She delayed and her son was being pressured into being caught up before he started kindergarten, and because homeschooling wasn't an option she went ahead and let him get several vaccines at once. He immediately developed a fever, head & speech tic (within 24 hours) and several other disturbing psychological symptoms. (zoning out, focusing issues, violence & anger & screaming). Months later he hasn't recovered, and they are testing him for possible reactive pediatric MS, because now white matter is showing in a MRI they did. His tics have never gone away, and although they are very noticeable, her doctor refused to report it as an adverse reaction, he stated 'they must not have noticed them before'. It's a heartbreaking situation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page