Opinions on Pediarix? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-02-2010, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have thoughts on Pediarix vs. separate DTaP, hepB and polio? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with so many vaccines at once... but the idea of 3 injections instead of 9 is tempting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 09:36 PM

Pentacel works best for our current schedule (DtaP, Hib, Polio) with Hep B separate but we are considering Pediarix for our new baby if GSK's new Hib+ Men C vaccine comes out; then we would do Pediarix + that one and be almost done.

My investigations of both Pentacel and Pediarix have left me thinking that they are good options for our family. There are good immunity numbers, not too bad reaction numbers (pentacel slightly lower than pediarix it seems), and they really cut down our shot numbers which means less pain. There does not seem to be the issues MMRV has with fever either (for either combo shot).

Also both demonstrated fewer fever reactions and less crying length than the individual shots they are made of in clinical trials.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
Old 07-03-2010, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

That's good to know! I would consider Pentacel if she were younger, but at 2.5 years old (just getting started with vaxing) she only needs 1 Hib. Its such a tough choice; I'm willing to make the extra appointments and co-pays to space the doses out... but I am also concerned about how she would emotionally handle that many injections, kwim? Plus in all honestly I'm still rather shocked that we're going to be vaxing at all I thought we'd closed the door on that one a long time ago.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:10 PM

my baby had a reaction to pediarix, I believe. We are doing all the shots spaced out now.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
Old 07-06-2010, 02:41 PM

I tend to want the minimum number of diseases at a time that I can possibly get, so I wouldn't go for the combined shots. Of course, we also end up with fewer injections, because we don't do all the doses or all the diseases. HepB, for example, we skip entirely.

You might want to look into the ingredients of the brands you're considering, especially their thimerosal and aluminum contents, that could help your decision.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:40 PM

can you still get quadracel in the States or Canada? I think quadracel is pentacel without the hib. I've been trying to get it in Europe to no avail.

User Tag List