How does this schedule look? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-15-2010, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been doing a lot of reading and researching and trying to put together a vax schedule for my DD (2 months) that I'm comfortable with. How does this one look? Using the CDC's notes about not needing multiple vaxs if some are received after a certain date, I was able to cut out some shots (and we're skipping Rotavirus).

2 Weeks: Hep B
2 Months: DTAP
4 Months: DTAP
6 Months: DTAP
12 Months: IPV
15 Months: Hib
18 Months: IPV
21 Months: Hep B
2 Years: PCV
2.5 Years:, Hep A
3 Years: MMR
3.5 Years: Varicella, Hep B
4 Years: DTAP, IPV
4.5 Years: MMR
5 Years: Varicella, Hep A,

Have I covered everything? Anything my ped might take issue with (aside from the whole thing in general
#2 of 6 Old 08-30-2010, 08:52 PM

Unless there is a known risk of heb b in your family (e.g. you have it), I'd wait until at least pre-teen years to give it. It is transmitted through sex or intravenous needles (e.g. drug use).

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#3 of 6 Old 08-30-2010, 08:54 PM

OH one more thing...if you are waiting until 15 months to do hib you might not want to do it at all. IT is only dangerous for young babies...so once they hit 15 months it isn't really a big deal anymore...my dr. actually told us we didn't need to do another dose on that (after we did 2 very spread out). So, i'd replace some of your dtaps with hib (like every other one) or just skip it if you aren't concerned with having your infant protected from it.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#4 of 6 Old 08-31-2010, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi there,

Just off the top of my head, like Holly mentioned, if you are looking to vaccinate for Hib, you might want to do that one earlier. And before anyone comes on to point out that yes, there are cases of Hib in preschoolers, it is indeed an illness that affects children under the age of five years, but it's not an even risk throughout, with the burden of disease in kids under two years and with the highest rates in children under 12 months.

Pc might also be one that you look at scheduling earlier. I believe the majority of cases of invasive disease are in younger children.

Hep B, Hep A...well, Hep A isn't even on the schedule where we used to live. And Hep B was only given in grade 5.

Your ped will probably want you to reconsider waiting until 3 years old for the MMR.

Good luck! It looks like you've put a lot of thought and reading into it. I hope your ped is willing to work with you and agrees to it...

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#5 of 6 Old 09-07-2010, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahKatN View Post
I've been doing a lot of reading and researching and trying to put together a vax schedule for my DD (2 months) that I'm comfortable with. How does this one look? Using the CDC's notes about not needing multiple vaxs if some are received after a certain date, I was able to cut out some shots (and we're skipping Rotavirus).

2 Weeks: Hep B
2 Months: DTAP
4 Months: DTAP
6 Months: DTAP
12 Months: IPV
15 Months: Hib
18 Months: IPV
21 Months: Hep B
2 Years: PCV
2.5 Years:, Hep A
3 Years: MMR
3.5 Years: Varicella, Hep B
4 Years: DTAP, IPV
4.5 Years: MMR
5 Years: Varicella, Hep A,

Have I covered everything? Anything my ped might take issue with (aside from the whole thing in general

I might do HIB at 3,5,7 months and do MMR at 21 months. Delay hep B

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#6 of 6 Old 09-07-2010, 03:50 PM

You can get Hep B through horizontal/ family living quarters situations. It can be transmitted with bites and the like; there are a few documented cases of spit to the eye transmitting it. I put that out there because I think its good to have all the info when you are deciding on that one, esp if your child will be in daycare because its something you might want to consider in your decision. we had a case of transmission in our family that was just "living with" situation-- it wasn't family to child but it was someone living with the family and the child ended up with it. We live with them for parts of our traveling, so we do the vaccine now but before we did not.

I also disagree that hib is not dangerous to kids 18 months +-- there were deaths in 2, 3, 4 and even a 5 year old last year and the year before. There are also a lot of studies on hib meningitis and pneumonia and the like in older kids; many survive but sometimes parents aren't only considering "death" as the big issue, kwim?

I would do hib earlier, as others mentioned and postpone Hep B because, even knowing the risks with daycare and care provider transmission, you have a while before that would become an issue-- biting, for example, is probably not a big issue in a 6 week infant room, kwim?

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page