Which vaccinations I MUST allow my 2 year old to get? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-17-2010, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
I have an appointment with my Department of Public Health (I don't insurance and can afford a privet doctor) for my 2 year old daughter's vaccinations.
I am a little concerned that they may not be as kind or patience with me if I ask many questions or I want decline some vaccinations.
While I am not against all vacinations I will like to know my daughters rights of which vaccinations she needs, which ones are a must and which ones are optionals, and what are the vaccinations for (my father had polio and this is one that I would will like this one but don't know if here in US still vaccinate for polio).
Do any of you knows of a website or have any info. about this for my NJ?
Thank you very much.

SAHM, married to my geeky husband and mom of 12 year old girl and 2year old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 08-17-2010, 10:21 AM

She doesn't *have* to get any. My DS1 is 3 yrs old and completely 100% vax free. I'd never do the DTaP because of the aP (pertussis) portion, though I could see sometime in the future getting the boys a DT. The polio vaccine they use today (IPV) doesn't work, so theres no point there.

I'd never in a million years get the chickenpox vaccine, personally - it does work, but has only caused massive problems: Kids no longer get chickenpox so adults who use to get a 'booster' of sorts when they were around kids w/ chickenpox now get shingles left and right, and besides that instead of getting sick once for a few days as kids now parents and eventually the kids themselves have to shell out for a chickenpox/shingles booster every, what, 5 years for the *REST OF THEIR LIVES*. But what a racket for the big pharma companies who make it!!

ANYHOW, the point is, you don't *HAVE* to get *ANY*. NONE of them are mandatory, despite what they will likely tell you at the health department. There are exemptions (medical/religious and possibly philosophical, not sure about NJ!) for school/work/daycare/etc. None of them are mandatory. NONE!!
#3 of 10 Old 08-17-2010, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
PP is correct. There are none that are Musts. The health deartment will tell you you need to follow the CDC schedule and since your child is 2, they will follow the "catch up" schedule.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/sch...chedule-pr.pdf

Sounds like you need to do a little research about the vaccines, the diseases and then make up your mind about what shots you want to get. It sounds like you already know you want the IPV. So they will give her 3 doses of the IPV the first 2 4 weeks apart and the 3rd one 6 months later.

Given that you don't seem as prepared as you want to be, I would advise only allowing the IPV for now until you have done more research. Health department officials will tell you alot of things, but you just need to remember YOU are in charge, not them. Good luck.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 10 Old 08-17-2010, 04:39 PM

https://njiis.nj.gov/docs/otet/Parent_Schedule.pdf

http://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/req_imm.shtml#dcp

http://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/doc...vaccine_qa.pdf

From what I can tell NJ requires just about everything for school admission, even a yearly flu shot. It appears that the only way you can get out of getting a vaccine you don't want is to have a medical or religious exemption. If it is like my state, if you go the religious exemption route you can't do *any* b/c if the state finds out about it ( though the lovely vaccine registry your doctor or shot giver sends your shot records to) there goes your exemption.

Unless your child hasn't had any vaccinations and needs to "catch up" the CDC doesn't require any 2 year old ones. The next are due 4-6 year (starting kindergarten)

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#5 of 10 Old 08-18-2010, 12:32 AM

While exemptions are available for school or daycare requirements, keep in mind that many health departments do not allow selective vaccination of little kids at their clinics. Because if they use VFC vaccine & are audited on their compliance rates, it may be an all or nothing deal there.
#6 of 10 Old 08-18-2010, 12:54 AM

I do vax. But my doc doesn't offer them, so I do all the vax at the health department.

I go in, they ask which I am getting, they give me the total cost ($0.50 per vax) and that's the end of it. No pressure if I reject one, and I have been really bad about getting dd in since her 12 month appt was missed...not a phone call.

It may be different though in a different state or even just a different office.
#7 of 10 Old 08-20-2010, 03:34 PM

What is VCF vaccine?

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#8 of 10 Old 08-20-2010, 03:51 PM

None of them are required. I wouldn't go to the health dept. looking for them to inform me on vaccination. Do your own research, there is tons of info here and decide for yourself.
#9 of 10 Old 08-20-2010, 05:31 PM

In order to get out of there without being shamed or otherwise convinced against your will, you might tell them that you are researching vax, and will make an appt to come back next month with specific requests.

That way you are not saying "no". Which some docs hate! (as in "how dare you doubt me")

Oh wait, I see that the ONLY reason for the appt is vax? Then you should definitely research which ones you do want first. Take them one at a time, and do your reading. It is a little overwhelming, so just wait until you are comfortable with your choices on each one.

Good luck mama!
#10 of 10 Old 08-20-2010, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSedai View Post
What is VCF vaccine?
VCF is a federal program called Vaccines for Children. It provides free vaccines to children and teens under 19 years of age who are either uninsured, Medicaid-eligible, American Indian, or Alaska Native.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/vfc/default.htm

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page