are separate MMR vaccine shots available? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-18-2010, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My pediatrician said he would give my daughter the MMR vaccinations spread out if they were available, but he thought that they were no longer being produced (and Dr. Sears website says not being produced until 2011)...my daughter needs them to start pre-school. Can they be ordered from anywhere else?
Thanks!!!
Aimee
Baltimore

Aimee, mom to Mirah b. 08/09/08
and my angel, Nico, , lost to us at 19 weeks gestation, 12/27/12
Longing for our rainbow
#2 of 18 Old 08-18-2010, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, you cannot order something that is not being produced.

We've continued to delay the MMR in the hope that it will be available seperately again soon.

Can you get an exemption? Or delay preschool ?

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#3 of 18 Old 08-27-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiowave View Post
My pediatrician said he would give my daughter the MMR vaccinations spread out if they were available, but he thought that they were no longer being produced (and Dr. Sears website says not being produced until 2011)...my daughter needs them to start pre-school. Can they be ordered from anywhere else?
Thanks!!!
Aimee
Baltimore
Nope. The 2011 release is outdated info. They had since issued a press release that says they will no longer be making separate MMR components. Ever. Our two choices are to do MMR or not at all.

buddamomimg1.pngWriter/Designer/Hip Hippie Russian Mama to Torngtongue.gif (3yo) and Kboc.gif(4mo)

#4 of 18 Old 09-02-2010, 12:52 AM

Can you get an exemption?

I also heard they were going to start producing them again in 2011...I never heard they changed that.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#5 of 18 Old 09-02-2010, 12:57 AM

You can no longer order MMR seperately. The Drug company (MERK) that make MMR will not do it, they feel that there is a bigger risk if your child gets three shots, not 1. Even though I do not agree with them on that, there is nothing we can do.

You can get an exemption for MMR, we did for our son and noone has bothered us about it. He is 5.5 yrs old and going to Kindy next week. He went to Pre-K too and they never said anything to us.

Good luck!!!

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

#6 of 18 Old 09-04-2010, 09:58 AM

Three separate shots means three separate doses of preservatives and toxins, so it's not necessarily better and maybe worse.

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#7 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think Merck isn't seeing the forest for the trees. I know quite a few selective vaxing families who will not do the MMR at all because they only want one component of it (usually measles). Or would prefer just a rubella booster for their daughters in their later years, but not the whole MMR.

So, I guess there's a whole section of the population who would have consented to separate shots who will now say, "Okay, no thanks." Hmm...too bad Merck didn't want to keep producing the individual vaccines for those who want them.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#8 of 18 Old 09-07-2010, 09:43 PM

i was getting conflicting info (yes/no) from other sources a few months ago so i called merck. its no. they did start reproducing them separately, and have since ceased reproduction with no plans to resume. ever. however. if you ever go to england, iirc sanofi-pasteur makes them separately over there......at least thats what i've heard from some british mothers i've talked to.
#9 of 18 Old 09-08-2010, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessAnika View Post
i was getting conflicting info (yes/no) from other sources a few months ago so i called merck. its no. they did start reproducing them separately, and have since ceased reproduction with no plans to resume. ever. however. if you ever go to england, iirc sanofi-pasteur makes them separately over there......at least thats what i've heard from some british mothers i've talked to.
Measles and Rubella, yes. The mumps vaccine is no longer available separately.

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#10 of 18 Old 09-08-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Monovalent vaccines no longer available for measles, mumps, rubella -
Based on input from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), professional societies, scientific leaders, and customers, Merck has decided not to resume production of ATTENUVAX® (Measles Virus Vaccine Live), MUMPSVAX® (Mumps Virus Vaccine Live), and MERUVAX®II (Rubella Virus Vaccine Live).
http://www.merck.com/e-business/repo...ply_Status.pdf
#11 of 18 Old 09-10-2010, 02:40 AM

I don't have Stephanie Cave's book, but I've seen several posts online where this information is quoted:

- You can get single doses of vaccines instead of getting them all together in one shot. Dr. Cave asked American Medicine (a wholesale pharmaceutical company) to carry these immunizations separately. The owners of American Medicine (225-924-0247) are Mark and Bridgette Schexnayder who are also pharmacists. To order your own separate doses of these vaccines you will need the following faxed to 225-924-0249
- Doctor’s prescription with the child’s name
- Copy of Doctor’s license

I haven't found a website for American Medicine, but I have found a manta directory listing for them: http://www.manta.com/c/mm0vl48/american-medicine-inc
applejuice likes this.
#12 of 18 Old 09-13-2010, 02:30 PM

I just called American Medicine, and they said that in Nov 2009, Merck decided to stop making them seperatly, and has no plans to resume production. They gave me Mercks number, and said maybe if we have more and more people calling requesting them seperate again, maybe they will change their mind The number for Merck is 800-672-6372. EVERYONE CALL!!!
applejuice likes this.
#13 of 18 Old 10-24-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japonica View Post
I think Merck isn't seeing the forest for the trees. I know quite a few selective vaxing families who will not do the MMR at all because they only want one component of it (usually measles). Or would prefer just a rubella booster for their daughters in their later years, but not the whole MMR.

So, I guess there's a whole section of the population who would have consented to separate shots who will now say, "Okay, no thanks." Hmm...too bad Merck didn't want to keep producing the individual vaccines for those who want them.
Yes! This is what I think too!!

And I like the idea of calling them! If enough people call, who knows! Do you think there are petitions circulating? I would definitely sign one!

My oldest (now 4) got the individual M, M, R vaccines. I spread them waaayy out. Got the meales done first and the other two much later. Now I have a 20 month old who is at the age where he "should" get the MMR. But we're not doing it. Not until I figure out a plan b. I'm trying to look to see if other countries produce a single measles vaccine. I know that is controversial and I don't even know if my ped would agree to administer it. I just that we are forced into this position with NO CHOICE!

eta: yes, there is a petition circulating. please sign it!! http://citizenspeak.org/node/1627?PH...006863d7a60f51
applejuice likes this.
#14 of 18 Old 10-24-2010, 04:46 PM

The only way I know of getting the separate shots is to go overseas to England. They still offer the measles and rubella vaccine separately. We have close family over there and we visit fairly often so we are considering it on one of our trips, but we still haven't decided yet.

Mommy to one great little boy (2009)
#15 of 18 Old 04-13-2014, 08:41 PM

In all 50 states you can opt out for religious reasons, in about 2/3 you can opt out just because you wish to opt out. A lawyer can tell you the paperwork you need to opt out.

#16 of 18 Old 04-13-2014, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shebly View Post

In all 50 states you can opt out for religious reasons, in about 2/3 you can opt out just because you wish to opt out. A lawyer can tell you the paperwork you need to opt out.

Unfortunately, in California, Mississippi, and West Virginia, you can no longer opt out for religious reasons.

applejuice likes this.
#17 of 18 Old 04-13-2014, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements/california.aspx

Yes, the CA form allows for religious reasons to exempt one's child from vaccinations while attending school. http://eziz.org/assets/docs/CDPH-8262.pdf

Interestingly, when Governor Brown signed the bill into law he stated that it was important that persons with religious objections be allowed to exercise that right. So there is a separate section for a religious exemption and, afaik, parents just have to sign that part of the exemption form.

In Orange County in CA, upwards of 85% of children in private schools attend with an exemption. That can mean that the children are partially vaccinated also.

#18 of 18 Old 04-13-2014, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

Unfortunately, in California, Mississippi, and West Virginia, you can no longer opt out for religious reasons.

California has all 3 exemptions: medical, religious, and personal beliefs. For the religious, you just check a box, and for the personal beliefs, you have to get a health professional's signature saying they explained the risks to you.

http://eziz.org/assets/docs/CDPH-8262.pdf (this is the most recent form, dated 10/13.

applejuice likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page