3 month old starting vax...rotovirus? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-22-2010, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are getting ready to start our 13 week old on a selective schedule. We are def getting the DTaP as pertussis scares me and is prevalent right now. I am not so sure about rotovirus though. He is exclusively BF and does not go to day care. The thing that freaks me out about the vaccine is the use of monkey and cow cells. Any thoughts?

Married to my wonderful hubbyMama to an awesome little man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 08-22-2010, 05:09 PM

As I understand it there are 2 vaccines out there for rotovirus, one was put on hold b/c it had DNA from a pig virus in it. THEN they found out there was DNA from 2 pig virus in the 2nd vaccine, but it was not put on hold. The 2nd pig virus causes wasting disease in piglets.

The FDA decided to go ahead and let babies get the vaccine b/c there is no data that shows the pig virus is harmful to humans.

I say to heck with that! Rotovirus causes diarrhea. Now if you live in a 3rd world country with no access to medical care I can see how this would be an issue. However, if worse comes to worse in the US baby can get IV fluids and is very unlikely to die of diarrhea.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#3 of 11 Old 08-22-2010, 05:13 PM

Before making a decision, you should check with your pedi to even see if the rotavirus vaccines are available right now – You may not even be able to make a decision on it if you wanted to!

I know the FDA pulled at least one of the vaccines because of contamination back in March and were considering pulling the other. Then I heard they were thinking of reinstating the use of it, but I don’t know the outcome of the decision.

Maybe one of the other mamas here will have an updated version of the story.

edit: just realized another mama addressed the issue above

Mommy to one great little boy (2009)
#4 of 11 Old 08-22-2010, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

When I called to schedule they didn't say anything about it not being available. I had been going by the Vaccine Book which I know is not the be all, end all book but it is still pretty detailed with ingredients. Pig was not listed but monkey and cow were. Regardless of what animal it is, I'm still not keen on it. Good point about the availability of relief if he does get it.

#5 of 11 Old 08-22-2010, 06:33 PM

oK - both my kids are fully-vaxed on-schedule and in day care starting at 6 months. Rotavirus was actually the ONE vaccine I declined. It was not offered to my first child over 5 years ago and I didn't see the need for it with second. I think it's only useful in the first 6 months of life. My physician had no issues with my declining that.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#6 of 11 Old 08-22-2010, 06:33 PM

Our doctor said he doesn't "do" rotavirus, unless the parent requests it... So I definitely passed on that one.

Mama to three

#7 of 11 Old 08-23-2010, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post
Our doctor said he doesn't "do" rotavirus, unless the parent requests it... So I definitely passed on that one.
I am pretty much decided no at this point. I will talk to my ped and get his opinion. I really like him thus far. He does circs in his practice but actually advises against them. I had one practice tell me they wouldn't see my son unless I got him vaccinated for hep b. What? Thanks for the input!

#8 of 11 Old 08-27-2010, 04:01 AM

Hi Tx mama, I am also a Texas mama! Just wanted to say hello, and that... I am also skipping rotavirus, just because of what it is preventing, seems pointless since everyone gets diarrhea at some point!

I am also delaying, just not sure how yet. My DD is also coming on 13 weeks.

Dixielane (22) Wife to DH,  co-sleeping familybed1.gif, saynovax.gifexclusive BFing, BWing femalesling.GIF
Mommy to DD "S" born May 2010energy.gif & EXPECTING #2!! babyf.gifpos.gif due Jan. 2012
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart"

#9 of 11 Old 08-27-2010, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Mama View Post
When I called to schedule they didn't say anything about it not being available. I had been going by the Vaccine Book which I know is not the be all, end all book but it is still pretty detailed with ingredients. Pig was not listed but monkey and cow were. Regardless of what animal it is, I'm still not keen on it. Good point about the availability of relief if he does get it.
Just wanted to calrify this:
there are 2 rotavirus vaxes Rotarix http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_rotarix.pdf

The strains of rotavirus are isolated from humans and are grown on monkey kidney cells there is no bovine serum in this one.

and rotateq http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Biologi.../UCM142288.pdf

The strains in this one are isolated from humans and Cows. The cells are also grown on monkey kidney cells and there is featl bovine serum in this one. Fetal bovine serum comes from the blood drawn from a bovine fetus and is the portion of plasma remaining after coagulation of blood.

The reason there are no pig cells lsited is that they are not supposed to be there. The pig viruses (PCV1 and PCV2) were discovered as a contamination by an independent lab.

The best bet when deciding on if you want to give any vaccine is to read the package insert in detail and look up any ingredient or thing you are not farmiliar with.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#10 of 11 Old 09-19-2010, 11:05 PM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSedai View Post

I say to heck with that! Rotovirus causes diarrhea. Now if you live in a 3rd world country with no access to medical care I can see how this would be an issue. However, if worse comes to worse in the US baby can get IV fluids and is very unlikely to die of diarrhea.
same here!
i'm with you on the dtap. pertussis is the one vax i did at that age because of all the outbreaks and how scary it is in babes. and then we did polio because we were traveling otherwise i wouldn't have.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#11 of 11 Old 10-04-2010, 11:21 PM

My DS initially got the rotavirus vax, but got diarreha, (duh). Skipped after that. I'm not sure how much vax he even got since he spit most of it out.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page