Is it possible to selectively vaccinate AND claim a religious exemption? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-23-2010, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My unvaccinated 21 month old daughter will be attending preschool in a few weeks, and I plan on submitting the religious exemption form for the state of CT. The problem is that I was also planning on selectively vaccinating her when she turns 2 years old in late November. While this may not be a problem this school year (since the vaccinations will take place a few months after the submission of the exemption form), what will happen at the beginning of the next school year? How can I continue to claim a religious exemption when my daughter will be partially vaccinated? There must be parents out there who have had to deal with this issue, right? How do you get away with sending your child to school partially vaccinated? Please advise!!!

Thanks very much!!
#2 of 11 Old 08-23-2010, 10:35 PM

Same issue here. And no, you will loose the exemption if you start to vaccinate. I wonder what people do? Before I have to do all vaccines required, I rather do none. But I would like some on our list. I don't feel good about doing them during our 4 week Germany trip every year, just in case of a reaction, I mean what would I do then?
I heard that people found doctors that would administer them without records, and you pay out of pocket. People, please explain how you did that and how to find such places.
#3 of 11 Old 08-30-2010, 03:20 AM

we have a religious exemption and we vax. i'm in oregon and we just have to choose which vaxes we want an exemption for. so, say chicken pox and hep a. he doesn't have to have any of those recorded on his vax record but they don't care if he does. you'll have to check with your ped about their practices.

i could just as easily not produce the shot record and say he was entirely unvaxed. i just would want to be honest with the school in case of an outbreak bc i wouldn't want my ds sent home if he's actually been vaxed.

eh. who needs a signature?
#4 of 11 Old 08-30-2010, 09:03 AM

You have to find out the rules and laws in your state. From what I understand, some states will not allow you to take an exemption and vax (so the moment you vax, the exemption is no good). But, all of this varies by state so you'll have to find out what the rules/regs are in your area.

But, if you are selectively vaxing...do you need a religious exemption? I don't do vaxes at all, so I'd be interested in the answer to this question, as well.
#5 of 11 Old 09-01-2010, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
As long as your doc & your insurance are not sharing your info with the state immunization database, the state will not know. Once you file the religious exemption with the school, you do not need to update your shot record with them.

That being said, most states will not let you claim a religious exemption for selectively vaxing.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#6 of 11 Old 09-01-2010, 08:12 PM

I just looked into this. I am in Florida and we have an opt out form so that your child's shot record isn't tracked. http://www.flshots.com/_pdfs/OptOutDH-1478.pdf

I'm sure all states have something similar.

Me jammin.gif DH  REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 06/06 superhero.gif ...MC 2/9 11/9 5/10
#7 of 11 Old 09-01-2010, 08:20 PM

The only way to do it in CT would be to have your Doc never put any of the vaccinations on her school physical forms and opt out of the data base. This would also mean that if there were ever an outbreak of any diseases that she is vaccianted for she would be out of school for the duration of the outbreak . There are severel grade years in which you will have to have a Doc fill out the physical form and do so leaving the Vax info off.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#8 of 11 Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 PM
HRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela512 View Post
You have to find out the rules and laws in your state. From what I understand, some states will not allow you to take an exemption and vax (so the moment you vax, the exemption is no good). But, all of this varies by state so you'll have to find out what the rules/regs are in your area.

But, if you are selectively vaxing...do you need a religious exemption? I don't do vaxes at all, so I'd be interested in the answer to this question, as well.
how do you figure out the regs in your state?
#9 of 11 Old 09-29-2010, 07:37 AM

OP -> http://www.ctvia.org/index.cfm?folder=31

HRJ have you looked here -> http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/sta...uirements.aspx

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#10 of 11 Old 10-02-2010, 11:08 AM

this seems tricky to me. Ds was vaxed until 9 months but i haven't vaxed him since, I am currently pregnant and was maybe considering getting the new baby the DtaP, but that is probably it, I just don't see much way around it without jeopardizing ds and the new lo's future religious exemptions. This I feel is honestly restriction of freedom as a parent, we can't pick and choose the preventative care we feel is right for our children if we want them to attend public schools. Has anyone thought about going to another state to vax? We live on the border so I wonder if they would not be included or not, or if you went to free clinic or something, it is just so shady to me, I hate feeling like a criminal.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#11 of 11 Old 10-04-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Has anyone thought about going to another state to vax? We live on the border so I wonder if they would not be included or not, or if you went to free clinic or something,
You'd need to check if the other state has a vax registry and if so, can it be opt'd out of & you wouldn't want to use your insurance. Also, if a VPD broke out in your school you'd have to take your kid home or confess that he was vax'ed (which would probably be a really bad idea)

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page