MMR at age 3? UPDATE post 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-30-2010, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm about 90% sure we are giving ds his first MMR at his 3 year old check up (he is fully vaxed for hib and almost fully vaxed for dtap...all very spread out and one at a time).

Has anyone else given MMR at age 3? How did your child do? I hear so many negative reaction stories, so i'm hoping to hear a few of the "my child got it and was totally fine" stories too

Also, what should i do before hand to help him cope..in other words any special vitamins or anything?

He weaned two months ago so unfortunatly he won't be able to get any mama milk.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#2 of 8 Old 08-30-2010, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
DD1 and DS both started their vaccines around age 3 (it was a bit younger for DD2 because she was in daycare at 18mo; the other two I delayed until preschool.) None of them had any serious or noticable reactions to any of the vaccines. DS used to have a low-grade fever for about a day after each vaccine (until his last DTaP, when the injection site got hot and swollen instead of getting a whole-body fever. That made me nervous and none of us have had any vaccines since then.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#3 of 8 Old 08-30-2010, 09:13 PM

DS2 had it at age 4. I made sure he was healthy and I gave him extra vitamin C and regular multivitamins for two weeks beforehand and about three weeks afterward. I also gave him a daily dose of the Carlson's CLO gelcaps that contain the natural vitamin A for the same period. Measles infection is linked to depletion of vitamin A, and the MMR is a live virus vaccine.

http://www.*********/vaccine/anderson1.html

http://general-medicine.jwatch.org/c...ull/1993/618/1

He was completely normal until about ten days afterward, then he ran a low fever for two days. I made sure he got plenty of rest. After that he was fine.

He had not had the second dose. I am putting that off.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#4 of 8 Old 09-01-2010, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies...any others??

#5 of 8 Old 09-02-2010, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My oldest got the MMR at 15 months and got the measles from it (CDC confirmed) so we delayed it with my 2nd DD until she was 3. She did fine.

I decided to decline it with my youngest. He hasn't had many vaccines at all and I completely skipped the MMR. I also declined all boosters for my older kids so they never received their 2nd doses.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#6 of 8 Old 09-08-2010, 04:19 PM

DS got the MMR at 2 yrs. We did multivitamins for a couple weeks before and after. I observed no negative reaction. Not the day of, nor days/weeks after. I had been worried about it...a friend's DS did have the classic 2-weeks-post-MMR illness (fevery, feeling lousy), but DS was fine.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#7 of 8 Old 09-08-2010, 04:48 PM

We gave DS1 the measles-only vaccine just before he turned 3 (and just before they stopped making it). He was fine, even though he got chicken pox 8 days later.
#8 of 8 Old 09-09-2010, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to let you all know we did the MMR today and so far so good. No fever, no swelling, no anything.

He said "ouch ouch, i didn't like that" when the shot happened (no tears though) and then for a few minutes after complained that his arm was sore.

When I asked him a few hours if it was still sore he said "no" and hasn't said anything about it since!

I know reactions can happen up to days later with MMR, but so far so good

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page