2 1/2 Year Selective/Delay Vax Schedule...Need some input please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2010, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 2 1/2. We had one dose of DTaP at age 1 1/2 and one dose of Pc at age 2. She does not attend any childcare other than at my sister's house sometimes (and occasionally at parents).

Here's what I'm thinking right now:
HepB, MMR, Varicella, and HepA-will wait until she is a bit older to decide on these
Polio-not going to do
Pc-since we got first dose after age 2 done with this one

Here's what I would like your input on:
DTap-I can't decide what to do on this one. D is not concern, but I'm not sure about T and P. From some research seems like T is everywhere and could be a concern, but incident rates seem about 50 per year (but is that because of vaccine?) And looks like she is still at risk for P!? Most deaths occur at young ages, but this symptoms of this one seem scary.
Hib-She doesn't have any risk factors. And seems like most serious cases are in ones younger than 2. And not recommended after age 5. I just don't know if the risk is worth it??

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Girlfriend and Wife to DH, Attached Momma to DD 2/23/08, and to DD 6/9/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The pertussis vaccine definitely mitigates the severity of the disease...instead of facing the illness or a possibly a month or more, you end up with cold like symptoms for a week. you also get total prevention of symptoms in many.

Sure, death is most common under the age of 1 (under 6 months usually actually) but the disease can be very unpleasant with turning blue/puking/cracking ribs/etc as well as a pretty high risk of pneumonia. It's also a prolonged illness. For these reasons, we do the vaccine.

Hib is also still dangerous to kids over 2. Many of the hib deaths last year came in kids who were 2.5, 3, 4 and even a 5 year old. Besides death, meningitis, pneumonia, and the like are also possible with invasive hib disease.

we feel these are two important vaccines for our fam.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)

User Tag List