Need assistance in creating a selective/delayed schedule - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-07-2010, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds2 just got his first vaccine today (Pentacel, the Hib, DTaP, Polio combo) at 18 months old. I originally went in just wanting DTaP, but they only had the combo and since those are all things we would eventually vax for (even though I understand we are kind of out of the Hib danger zone, for the most part) I consented.

My question is: where do we go from here? I'm having no luck finding info on the web about how many shots he'll need (since we started so late) and/or how far apart they should be. I know we also want to add Prevnar but I think that is the only other one, at least until adolescence.

Any guidance or links to share? TIA!

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-07-2010, 03:31 PM

SO if you started at 18 months and would like to complete Hib, DtaP, Polio and PCV it would go like this:

hib: DONE

PCV: two options:

-get dose 1. 4 weeks (minimum) later get dose 2. and then your last dose would be 8 weeks (min) after that.

-option 2: wait until 24 months to get dose 1 and that would be your last dose (obviously the risk is that you have less protection from now until 24 months as opposed to getting that other dose at 20 months)

DtaP:
-doses are now 4 weeks apart (minimum) until you get to dose 4 and 5, which are minimum 6 weeks apart.
-if dose 4 is given after the age of 4, then dose 5 is not necessary

IPV (polio)
-3 or 4 more doses. If dose 3 is administered after the age of 4, then dose 4 is not necessary.

forming a schedule from them depends on your decisions within those options, kwim? A schedule could look like this:

20 months:
-PCV
-DTaP

22 months:
-IPV
-DtaP
-PCV

24 months:
-DtaP
-PCV (DONE)

3 years:
-DtaP

4 years:
-IPV (DONE)
-DTaP (DONE)

If you skip the PCV and just get dose 1 at 24 months, that would be considered a complete series. (kids form better immunity at older ages and need less doses)

all this information found here:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/sch...chedule_pr.pdf

Now if you want other vaccines, you can add them in easily. MMR 1 could be at 2 years and then Varicella at 3 years and then go back to MMR at 4 and then varicella again at 5. There are tons of ways to do it. I just wasn't sure which other vaccines you wanted to get besides the ones you had already started.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#3 of 3 Old 09-07-2010, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

That was super helpful! Thanks so much.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page